Costco - Michelin Radius Wiper Blades

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Hi Folks,

FYI, I just picked up 2 (21" drivers side and 19" passenger side) of these Michelin Radius Wiper Blades at Costco for $10.XX each usually $12.99 each. These are frameless all season wiper blades. After having a demo of these with the CT Reflex version in Nigel's car these were a steal at $10.XX compare to $20+ at CT.

When replacing my old ones I found that the previous owner had fitted 20" and 18" blades on my car. So now I can see more out of my windscreen:D

Btw, the Costco $2.XX coupon expires today, If the correct size is not in stock you can get a 30day raincheck.

GD

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I'd like to hear what you have to say about them. I was reading about them on another forum, and a lot of people were complaining about squeeking/rubbing noises on the windshield.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I picked up a set yesterday, no complaints yet..

The stock attachement points suck, and are super loose. I replaced them with the ones from the OEM VW wipers I took off the car. Snapped right into place and are nice and tight.

For $24 for 2 blades, you won't find a better blade for a better price...

No 21's at the Barrie store, I am running a 20 and 19...

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
I have no complaints with these blades. If I ever have a problem with them I know Costco has one of the best return policies out there. $10 a blade is a great deal! Even Michelin has a satisfaction guarantee on the packaging.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Toronto_Vento said:
I'd like to hear what you have to say about them. I was reading about them on another forum, and a lot of people were complaining about squeeking/rubbing noises on the windshield.
I bought the CT version for my A3 and my wife's Intrepid last fall.

On my car they are absolutely horrible, worst wipers ever made. They chatter and squeak under all conditions except very heavy rain. However, they work perfectly on the Intrepid - same wiper, but longer blade. Perhaps it's just the short ones that are no good.

Simon

TDI'er

Veteran Member
TDI
01 New Beetle TDI, 93 Toyota Estima 2.2TD
I bought a set too for the NB. No complains so far. I had used the CT ones on my A4 Jetta and never experienced any chatters at all.

LNXGUY: At first, I thought the Michelin clips were too loose also. After fiddling around, I noticed the clips have 2 positions. Just pull a little harder and they'll snap into the inner position. Nice and secure.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
TDI'er, thats awesome. I think I will take my chances with the stockclips, as I didn't bust anything during the install, :)

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
TDIFred said:
thanks for the tip, the driver's side is so clean, I put one on the passneger side as well!

Fred
No prob :) We'll see how these work when the crappy weather gets here...

I think I am going to do the heated nozzle hack soon enough...

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
What about these:

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/WiperBlades/Icon.htm

Brian sells them for $22 & $25.

They are the same as the new OEM wipers.

About twice as much as the Michelin ones, but they are OEM and have the spoiler on them to hold them to the windsheild. I have a reflex wiper on my drivers side now and it was $25. It does not hold the windsheild very well at 140kph. I should have looked at Brians site first. DOH.

I think I might go with these and take my reflex blade back to Can Tire.

Last edited:

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
I have the Icon's. Excellent so far.! The Reflex ones from CT suck from most of what Ive heard.
In the rear (Wagon) Im using the View Max from Wal-Mart. Similar to the Icon.

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
precision tuning sells them too Nigel...dats where i got mine.

Wingnut said:
What about these:

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/WiperBlades/Icon.htm

Brian sells them for $22 & $25.

They are the same as the new OEM wipers.

About twice as much as the Michelin ones, but they are OEM and have the spoiler on them to hold them to the windsheild. I have a reflex wiper on my drivers side now and it was $25. It does not hold the windsheild very well at 140kph. I should have looked at Brians site first. DOH.

I think I might go with these and take my reflex blade back to Can Tire.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I think QMR has them as well. Quick question for those with the Bosh Icons...can one replace the rubber insert only, or is it a once piece unit like the CT ones? The nice thing about the OEM ones is that the rubber insert is replacable, but at $200 for the wipers and arms, that's pretty steep. Was hoping that these Bosch Icon wipers have a replacable insert. Otherwise, the regular OEM wipers are working quite well for me, and I can just replace the inserts every year.

(yeah yeah...so sue me, I don't feel like spending $50 on wipers every year)

1oldfrt

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, silverstone grey w/moonroof
Wiper insert replacement

I had crappy cleaning on my 05 Passat with the new Bosch blades. Local dealer said they require complete replacement. So...I pulled off the plastic end caps to have a look. On one end there is a small metal tab which "locks" the refill in place. Gently bending this allows the refill to slide out and the new one from VW slides right back in (same refill as my A4's). Did this in front of the Parts Dept guys and they now know another trick, thanks to the TDIClub.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Don't blame you one bit John. Why buy a whole new wiper when you can just replace the rubber. As long as there is good tension put on the windshield by the wiper arm you are OK. A set of refills are about $ 10.00 and I like the VW wipers with the wing for extra adherence at highway speeds..

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Depends whom you are asking, but you can get refills at Auto suppliers, CTC and maybe even Wallymart. Buy from the dealer, LOL.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
Zellers are also now stocking these Michelin beam blades at $17 each upwards.

Precisiontuning

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
n/a
in case you are interested I sell the Bosch refills for $13.50/pair
I also carry the OEM wiper blades plus Bosch Icon and Valeo ultimates.
PIAA, Silblade are also available (pre-order)

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Jetta_Pilot said:
Don't blame you one bit John. Why buy a whole new wiper when you can just replace the rubber. As long as there is good tension put on the windshield by the wiper arm you are OK. A set of refills are about $ 10.00 and I like the VW wipers with the wing for extra adherence at highway speeds..
I finally got to really try out my Icons in heavy rain this morning. At 160 to 170 KMH they were still glued to the windshield.:D Finally a wiper that holds above 120 KMH:rolleyes:.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
As for the refills, I've tried various from CT, etc, and the rubber is SO crappy. The dealer ones are definitely better quality, but are obviously more expensive.

Still would like to know if the rubber on the Bosch Icons can be replaced or not. If not, then I'll stick with what I have. If so, then I'd really think hard about making the switch.

Precisiontuning

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
n/a
Toronto_Vento said:
As for the refills, I've tried various from CT, etc, and the rubber is SO crappy. The dealer ones are definitely better quality, but are obviously more expensive.

Still would like to know if the rubber on the Bosch Icons can be replaced or not. If not, then I'll stick with what I have. If so, then I'd really think hard about making the switch.

Dealer refill are either made by bosch or Valeo. The only difference is that they are packaged in a VW box.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Radman said:
I finally got to really try out my Icons in heavy rain this morning. At 160 to 170 KMH they were still glued to the windshield.:D Finally a wiper that holds above 120 KMH:rolleyes:.
Good to know. My Reflex couldn't hold the bottom 6" at 120 kph last night. My Icons should be here next week :)

hvcl

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I've got the OEM Bosch ones on and they work great. Gonna need to verify the upper limits some day:) .

The rubber inserts can be replaced...the ends caps are snap-type fits and as someone mentioned earlier there is a metal tab on one end that can be bent open to release the insert.

Looking forward to using these in winter, the original OEM's use to ice up, winter blades would bounce/chatter on the hwy.

For the price, the Michelins look like a good alternative. These will be going on the wife's car to replace the overpriced and underperforming reflex blades.

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I went to WalMart today & bought their frameless ones for my wifes Montana as Costco doesn't have 24" blades. They weren't brand name or anything (view Max), but looked very similar to the Michelein ones. The blade part looks identical. The only difference I could see was the head where it attaches to the wiper arm. I will report back how they work if we ever get any rain :rolleyes: .

BTW, they were $14.99 each, so a couple bucks more than the Michelins from Costco. But a whole lot less than the Icons @ $30 each for 24" blades. Its a lease and goes back in 10 months, so I'm not spending $70 with tax for wipers.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
Yikes...you guys are scaring me with talk of 50 to 70 bucks to do wipers blades. Not sure what I have on the cars. The Jetta came with a skinny flexible blade with no wings that has provided the best cleaning of a windshield I've ever experienced regardless of vehicle velocity or crap being thrown at it. The Passat came with a blade that looks similar to the pic of the Icons shown here. One of the worst blades I've seen in a while. From day one the blade chattered, hopped and squeeked.

I'll be at the dealer tomorrow to research what it is I got. Like lighting, a technology I need to get updated on.

V60

TDI
V60
Michelin Radius Wiper Blades

Any suggestions where I can buy 21” and 24” Michelin Radius Wiper Blades? Costco offers only smaller sizes :mad: . I’m in Aurora, ON