Engine Cover Rattle 2005 Passat TDI

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
My engine cover is rattling something fierce where the silver plastic lies against the black plastic. My underlying foam is long gone. I think I can actually hear this rattle inside the vehicle. When I put my finger on the silver plastic and hold it firmly against the black plastic, the noise goes away. I can see where the silver is vibrating against the black. My questions:

1. Has anyone else ever solved this rattling with adhesive or another way (except total cover removal)?

2. Has anyone ever glued Dynamat to the underside of the cover?

BTW, instead of using the ALH ball-stud "pop-off" retrofit for the BHW cover, I am using (3) 6mm x 1mm pitch stainless wing nuts over flat washers. Very convenient compared to the factory 10 mm hex nuts.

Thanks!

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I had a similar issue on my silver plastic section. I ended up epoxying the joints together and used a cotton fiberglass pad from eBay as a sound/heat shield.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heat-Shield...ash=item3607ae67d6:g:wwMAAOSw-itXu7fq&vxp=mtr
So far it's held up well for a few years now.

At the time I wasn't sure if the Dynamat was heat resistant so I decided to go with the other pad. But I do see people have covered the underside of their hoods with it. So I guess it works.

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
Mine is the same.. I'll try leicaman's repair method. That hoodliner is a bit expensive (90 CAD on Amazon.ca)..