You know you're obsessed when....

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
You know you\'re obsessed when....

Post away...
You know you are obsessed with the TDI when...
<Edited to correctly spell obsessed>
My contribution:
--1. When you meet a stranger in a TDI you start excitedly talking about mufflerectomies, ventectomies, and tire pressure and they look at you blankly, gather their kids and leave.
2. When you have your friends in your car and you make them look at the trip odometer when it shows 600 miles on the tank. (And you get a little mad when they just don't really seem to care...)

3. You pretend to do the math on your tank when you're filling up. As soon as you finish filling up, you excitedly proclaim.. "15.1 gallons.. 755 miles.. that's 50 mpg!" just loud enough for everyone within 30 feet to hear.

4.You've ever gone to 5 places for motor oil and shake your head in disgust because the people there have never heard of the VW 505.00 specification, and then feel pretty good because you know what the 505 spec is-- sort of...

5. You freak when someone tries to sound out TDI trying to figure out what it means.. "Turbo um... Diesel.. um.. something.." ( NNNnnnnnooooooooooooo you idiot!!!-- It's Turbo Direct Injection) Even though you don't know if there is a Turbo Indirect Injection or Turbo direct non-injection or whatever...) but you're pretty sure there might be.

6. You find that for fun you drive aimlessly around for hours at a time.

7. Your 1 year old car has 37,000 miles on it--- and that fact doesnt bother you.

8. When the light turns green you stomp the go pedal and leave everyone in your dust.. And when you get stopped at the next light and they all finally catch up, you rationalize it by thinking "Even though I did that... I STILL got better mileage than they did"

9. You've considered taking off necessary and legally required parts of your car just to get an 2 extra miles per gallon "hmm... Those mirrors... I don't REALLY need them do I??? OR I wonder if the windshield comes out.."

10. You pull up behind another VW thinking at a distance that it's a TDI and feel a bit sorry for the other driver when you don't see TDI on the trunk. (sigh, maybe I can help them.. )
11. You've ever called your Vw dealer and asked when the Convertable Beetle TDI or Cabrio TDI is coming out.

12. You quickly follow up with "but it's all about torque" after you tell someone that your car has 90 Hp. Even though you don't know exactly what torque does.

13. You're on a job interview and think it's perfectly OK to work into the conversation that your car is a TDI, even though it has no relevence for the job.

14.. Cleaning your snow screen in the summer somehow makes perfect sense to you.

15. On long trips you actually get angry at yourself because YOU have to stop to go to the bathroom, 3 times before your car needs fuel.

16. You know when refueling that when the fuel pump shuts off, (the first time) that's the signal that you should open all your doors and clean out your car. You understand the importance of Diesel Fuel Foam and know that it's kind of like the sand in an hourglass. After 2 minutes it is once again time to resume pumping the last 2 gallons of diesel fuel into your tank.

17. You know Venting and Air Conditioning are two totally unrelated things.

18. You roll down your windows when you drive next to a wall, solid fence, or building just so you can hear the turbo whine.

19. You sometimes sing the theme song to "Convoy" just because you now stop at Truck stops for fuel. "Dark of the moon, on the 5th of June and a Kenworth pullin' log, Cab-over Pete with a Reefer on and a Jimmy haulin' hogs.." And scoff at people who aren't "man enough" to use the high volume hose... (until you spill a half gallon of fuel on your shoes..)

20... The reason you know you're obscessed with TDI's is when you pull into a gas station, you know 15 different ways to tell the attendant " Yes.. I know it's a Diesel pump" when they refuse to turn it on for you.

jasonlava

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle GLS TDI, 2003, White
You know you\'re obscessed when....

You're right. Last night was my first night with my TDI and I had the sunroof and window down on a bridge so I could hear the turbo and when I got to the redlight, turn off the radio to hear the diesel idle.

cage

Top Post Dawg

Yup. I'm leaving for Chicago in one hour for a fun weekend but I am more excited about driving my TDI for 51/2 hours than actually going to Chicago.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

cage said:
... but I am more excited about driving my TDI for 5 1/2 hours than actually going to Chicago.

During our 2000 mile spring roadtrip, my wife generously offered to take some of the driving duty. I respectfully declined.

Last edited:

aggiegrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI

...when you shelled out the extra $400 for the Monsoon system, but you'd rather leave it turned off so you can hear the turbo.

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold

You know you are obscessed with the TDI when...

You spend 2 hours a day every morning on some great TDI website
learning every possible detail about your car. Then rechecking the site every hour for new information.....

Fast_SilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver

18. You roll down your windows when you drive next to a wall, solid fence, or building just so you can hear the turbo whine.
I do this all the time. My girlfriend always says.."What are you doing" I'm like can't you hear the turbo and she looks away in disgust. Love the sound. I was dissappointed when I had it replaced because it's not as loud as it used to be. I miss it!!

You also know you're obcessed when you risk getting in do-do at work reading this stuff!!

I love my car and wouldn't trade if for the world!!!

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI

you know you are obscessed when...

you dont even have a tdi yet, and its all you can bear to think about.

you feel incomplete without checking tdiclub.com every so often to see what new stuff has been posted.

you could pull in to the driveway at night, feel good, and simply take the car out for a drive... of 100 miles.

you drive around sometimes just to run some fuel out so you can go to the truck stops and let everyone see you filling up, and tell them "yes, its a diesel. and yes, i get over 50 mpg." and watch them recoil in shock.

Tango_Kilo

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2004, reflex silver

iwannajettatdi said:
you know you are obscessed when...

you dont even have a tdi yet, and its all you can bear to think about.

you feel incomplete without checking tdiclub.com every so often to see what new stuff has been posted.

you could pull in to the driveway at night, feel good, and simply take the car out for a drive... of 100 miles.

you drive around sometimes just to run some fuel out so you can go to the truck stops and let everyone see you filling up, and tell them "yes, its a diesel. and yes, i get over 50 mpg." and watch them recoil in shock.
Yes, I agree completely. Waiting for the '04s...

SwimmerDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW 6MT

15. On long trips you actually get angry at yourself because YOU have to stop to go to the bathroom, 3 times before your car needs fuel.
Oh, quite true, quite true
People were amazed that I drove from Chicago to Atlanta without every needing fuel.

NussWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, Reflex Silver

...you make a special trip across town for fuel because a) you know its the best around, b) you want to drive your car and c) you rationalize that it only cost you an extra 10-15 cents.

...no matter what the social setting is, you manage to get into a discussion of TDI's, fuel economy, and the merits of the diesel engine.

...you are dissapointed when you pass another TDI on the road and they don't wave back.

...starting your car just makes you smile.

...you wish for a longer commute so you can spend more time with your car.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none

Yup...
Sounds like my husband!!!
Although you did forget to add: Can hear a TDI a quarter mile away ( of course we open the window to listen more intently too) and just HAS to tell everyone in the car that fact!
Anyways...whatever

MRS cattlerepairman

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI

there's another tdi across the street. i've never met him, but every time i hear the engine i stop whatever i'm doing to listen.

TDI_ESEL

Veteran Member
TDI
None

...you're so infatuated w/ another guy's TDI that you can't properly spell the word "obsessed."

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver

You see another TDI in a store parking lot, you park next to it, even if there is a space closer to the door.

Sam

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG

Some of these were posted already.

1. Your 50 mile roundtrip commute seems too short.

2. You drive 15 miles from home to get the best diesel.

3. You refer to your TDI as "My baby" (I dont have kids).

4. You get seriously concerned when your TDI is at the
mercy of the dealership.

5. You constantly look at the asses of other Volkswagens
to see if they are powered by TDI.

6. You love the looks you get when you pick up the green
hose at the fuel pump.

7. You tell your whole family about how great diesels are.

8. You love to brag about your mileage.

These are my personal TDI obsessions. I love combining #7 and #8 whenever I talk to my parents. They have the whole 'I will only drive a Ford/GM with the biggest engine and worst gas mileage.'

eisenkrote

Veteran Member

bmike said:
You know you are obscessed with the TDI when...

You spend 2 hours a day every morning on some great TDI website
learning every possible detail about your car. Then rechecking the site every hour for new information.....
Yup. That's where my life went...

RichTDI

TDI
2003 Reflex Silver, 5 Spd,Leather, ESP, Spoiler, Monsoon

You pull into a parking lot and see a Jetta or Golf accross the lot and you check to see if it is a TDI and then proceed to drive up and down the isles looking for other TDI's.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.

Spamjohnson said:
You see another TDI in a store parking lot, you park next to it, even if there is a space closer to the door.

Sam
Boy, I've done THIS one before!

...or making sure you have friends in the suburbs who also feel a moral imperative to thoroughly wash and wax the car ever 6 months WITHOUT EXCEPTION!

...or spending 5 fricken hours with Jonathan Bartlett driving 47mph in an endless 30 mile loop in a fuel economy competition with the windows UP and the a/c OFF in the summertime, just to prove that these engines can in fact achieve over 90mpg (on an engine with over a QUARTER OF A MILLION MILES ON IT no less!)

...or getting a buzz out of doing more than 120 miles before the needle moves below full (and you knew you'd been using a ton of A/C and blasting around in city traffic all week)!

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars

Very funny thread.
We'll add:

.......When you can't get Jacobs Vehicle Systems to return your calls requesting a "baby" JakeBrake!

.......ask the mechanic "Was it a pleasure to work on?"

.......you affectionatley refer to the sound your engine makes as "the pitter patter of little diesels" (also childless, can you tell?)

.......you drive tenderly to save up soot to "smoke" anyone who ticks you off!

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant

.... you change your timing belt early, just for the fun of it.

.... you look for reasons to work on the car, even though nothing's wrong.

.... your dogs can hear your car coming up the street because of the distinctive diesel clatter.

.... you have a TDI coffee mug.

.... you buy Delvac-1 by the case.

.... you won't settle for red gasoline cans... you've got to have the yellow diesel ones.

.... you comment about stinky gassers every time you follow one up a steep hill, and you catch them with the cruise control on...

.... you're somehow disappointed when your Passat Wagon only gets 1150 miles per tank.

mikeyworks

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Green, 2000 Jetta GLS TDI Blue

your wife buys a TDI, and out of jealousy, you buy a rabbit diesel, 3 extra IDI engines and are still upset when you find a Turbo motor for $200 and it's just not enough so you have $1500 worth of mod's planned for a $50 car!!!

Ricdude

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, '03, Pt Grey, GLS

mikeyworks said:
your wife buys a TDI, and out of jealousy, you buy a rabbit diesel, 3 extra IDI engines ... so you have $1500 worth of mod's planned for a $50 car!!!
I almost picked up a diesel VW Dasher station wagon for
$100, but alas I was second in line... Can you say SVO conversion? =)

Obsessed with your TDI?

* Even though the only time you've ever changed your own oil by yourself, you damaged the vehicle beyond repair, and it blew up on the highway a month later, you think you'd do just fine with a mityvac, if you just read the step-by-step in the faq one more time.

* You think if you can pull off an oil change, a timing belt change can't be that much harder...

* You start thinking about all the cool mods you could do, and you've never been a "car" guy in your life.

* You turn off the radio for a whole week, because you put biodiesel in the tank, and you can't hear your engine at highway speed anymore.

* You wonder if you can shoehorn the V10 TDI engine from the european Touraregs into your New Beetle. (maybe if I put it in the back seat, and into the trunk...)

* You decide it would be more fun to mount the TDI engine in a classic Beetle instead...

tditone

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-dr, Reflex Silver

MITBeta said:
.... you comment about stinky gassers every time you follow one up a steep hill, and you catch them with the cruise control on...
Haha - I do this practically everyday. When starting up a hill, I'll switch the vents to recirc-mode and let out a dramatic huff and a sigh. Passengers then ask "what's wrong?" to which I reply something like "all these stinky gassers need to rev their engines so darn high getting up the hill - I don't want to smell that crap!"

MITBeta said:
.... you have a TDI coffee mug.

-- such a thing exists!? I must have it!

-Tone (whose "Drivers wanted" mug suddenly seems "soooo last year!")

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI

1 . It's not warmed up until you hit the 100 mile mark .

2 . I can go 1,000 miles without a bathroom stop .

3 . Those gasser smell funny .

4 . I haven't bought gasoline in 15 years .

5 . My credit card company called to say that someone had stollen my credit card & was using it to purchase diesel fuel all around the US & Canada . ????

6 . I sometimes forget to get fuel , every 1,000 miles or so You Have think of it ( Darn it's such a hassel isn't it ?) .

7 . I talk to my diesels & they answers sometimes .

8 . I've turned dieselers into most of my friends , they all drive diesels now .

9 . I drive from Charlotte to Oak Island and drive around for a month without buying fuel .

10. I'll drive an extra 150 miles to find a "Flying J" truck stop to refuel .

11. I look foward to the smell of a cold diesel engine early on a cold morning .

12. I've added a cheapmode switch to blow smoke in peoples faces that I dom't like . Like Gass SUV'ers .

13. I enjoy overboosting my engine & running 100mph for hours at a time and still getting 50+ mpg .

14. I go to another state to get fuel once a month at a Flying J in S.C. or VA. 10 to 20 cents cheaper .

15. I always overfill my fuel cell from my early Dasher to my current TDI's . I have to be careful in my

1991 Jetta diesel ,( 730 miles max @ 15.4 galUS ) the fuel gauge gets to the red area & you are out of fuel ( Empty ) !! I've run the thing out of fuel twice . I usually just watch the trip clock to tell me when I need fuel . Some times in the summer with the AC on & if I have been driving at 80mph , it won't go quite as farr . 37mpg to 38mpg summer ( winter 39mpg to 43mpg highway / 42 mpg to 48 mpg city , in winter @ sea level and driving below 50 mph for the entire tank ( always in 5th gear @ 25mph ) .

1997 Passat TDI ; ( 1,100 miles max on a 19.2 tank )52 top 56.7 city ( mostly 25mph to 45mph , 55mph max @ sea level ) / 48 to 52.4 highway 75mph to 90mph).

1985 Jetta w/1994 Canadian 5spd & Eco-Diesel ; ( 608 miles max @ 15.2 ) , 35 to 40 city (25 to 55mph max , (mostly 40 to 45mph) @ sea level )/ 30 to 33 highway (70 to 90mph) .( All #'s mpgUS )
3.78L = 1 galUS

16. You know that saying "0 to 60 in 15 minutes" it's not just a saying .

17. I'm always in 5th gaer at or below 27mph .25mph in Jetta's .

18. I get better mpg around town than I do on the Highway .
55 city / 49 to 52 hoghway . This common on diesels if you drive easy enough . 1st 0 to 10 , 2nd 6 to 15 , 3rd 10 to 30 , skip 4th , 5th 25 to max . I stay below 1/2 throttle most of the time . Never hit Max throttle , never !! Drive like I have an egg under my foot . Always use the cruise control .

ECT.........

David

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green

03GolfTDI said:
Some of these were posted already.

4. You get seriously concerned when your TDI is at the
mercy of the dealership.

5. You constantly look at the asses of other Volkswagens
to see if they are powered by TDI.

6. You love the looks you get when you pick up the green
hose at the fuel pump.

7. You tell your whole family about how great diesels are.

8. You love to brag about your gas mileage.

These are my personal TDI obsessions. I love combining #7 and #8 whenever I talk to my parents. They have the whole 'I will only drive a Ford/GM with the biggest engine and worst gas mileage.'
4. No effing way
A dealership touch my baby (3rd child er car, I mean car....)

5. All the time. Somehow I'm always disappointed when it's a 2.slo or 1.8t.

6. I love it even more when the attendant won't turn on the pump...

7 and 8. My family loves diesels so that's out. Bragging about mileage is what holds the family together