B4 fuel tank options?

Wally

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 96 and 97 B4Vs, & 03 A4V
Hello folks, been a while (school got me busy). Does anybody know if there are other oem replacement options for the passat fuel tank, that is to say, larger?

I'm hoping to finally do the heated tank mod at the end of this semester and I thought it would be a lot easier to start with a tank on a bench and then I thought it would be awesome if I could put in a larger tank and turn this thing into a super endurance cruiser at the same time. I ask b/c I noticed the B5 to V6 project did that, but didn't know if a similar option was available for us even-later-modelers.

And of course, if such an option is available, where would I find one?

Thanks in advance.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Since you already own a Passat wagon, you already have the largest fuel tank available. Due to the different rear floor pan design in the wagon variants, the fuel tank is a few gallons larger. I think I remember guys saying they could fill up with over 22 gallons if they were careful to vent all the foam out. Most of the wagon guys say they can easily go over 1000 miles per tank with the extra capacity.

For anyone with a sedan who wants to swap in the larger fuel tank from a wagon: The Passat wagon fuel tank will not fit in the Passat sedan unless you are good with a plasma-cutter and you have way too much time on your hands.

Brian, 97 Passat TDI

grimlock

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, Black
For anyone with a sedan who wants to swap in the larger fuel tank from a wagon: The Passat wagon fuel tank will not fit in the Passat sedan unless you are good with a plasma-cutter and you have way too much time on your hands.
Thanks for answering my question!

Has anyone done it? (anyway?)

Richard

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
25.1 gallons is the volume of the B4V's tank.

You could go bigger if you put a custom tank (there are spaces left behind the tank and in the passenger side wheel well).

As to fit one on a sedan, it's feasable...

All you would need is a wagon floor pan, or a syncro floor pan (they are the same), and the actual tank.

Then you would have super cruiser with a 95 litres tank disguised in a sedan.

Lots of work if you ask me....