email response from OceanAir Environmental (re: biodiesel)

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS wagon, 2004 Passat GLS wagon
I emailed OceanAir Environmental to ask them about their "winterized biodiesel" product (OAE BIO6) to see how they winterize it, and also to see if this is the product that World Energy buys from them in the winter. This was their reply:

We use the same additives that are being used for petroleum diesel. The additives work very well with the soy derived biodiesel, however, they do not work well with the animal fat derived biodiesel. FYI, World Energy no
longer distributes our fuel, we are direct selling.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm somewhat surprised that World Energy is no longer selling OceanAir's biodiesel. I think I'll email World Energy to ask them where they're getting their biodiesel, and if it's still from virgin soy (at least in the winter).

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
"quote from OceanAir Environmental:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We use the same additives that are being used for petroleum diesel. The additives work very well with the soy derived biodiesel, however, they do not work well with the animal fat derived biodiesel.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------"

Oh, oh! Better not tell this to SkyPup. It would totally destroy his world!

S

SkyPup

Better not tell anyone using BD-100 that it is not kosher either....

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
From my discussions with Tim Wacker, he said World Energy gets the fuel from who ever is the cheapest but that they wind up being more often than not less expensive than buying direct from teh producers for them. W.E. has to work harder to keep the prices competetive now more than ever.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. There seem to be more and more producers coming on line all the time. Here's to hoping that drives the price down a bit!

e-VOLVed

Veteran Member
TDI
All deceased
World Energy holds the exclusive distrubution rights to multiple BioDiesel producers. Some make red basic grade stuff, others refine it a bit more. IIRC, DuPont also sells to them but refines their product until it's clear.
It'd be nice to have spec sheets from each of the suppliers and be able to pick which one I want to buy and at what premium.

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS wagon, 2004 Passat GLS wagon
The main thing I'd like to make sure of is that in the winter I'm getting virgin oil biodiesel rather than WVO derived biodiesel. WVO biodiesel is fine and great once the temps warm up, but it clouds at higher temps than virgin biodiesel. I plan on continuing freezer tests periodically to make sure that they don't start using some biodiesel that doesn't respond as well to the additives.