Intake manifold cleaning... what about the intake ports in the head?

im no hero x

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Variant 5-spd
Hello.

I'm in the middle of cleaning my intake manifold. I was just wondering what to do as far as the intake ports in the head? Do they have to be cleaned too? Or do I just leave it like that? If anyone could help me out with this, I'd really appreciate this!

If you need this info, this is what kind of car this is being done on:
2002 VW Golf TDI w/auto tranny.

Thanks a lot!!!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Well, you don't want bits and pieces of the "carbon" falling intot he valves and sticking them. Once you pull the intake manifold away, you are risking just that, but how much risk depends on how much build up there is at the ports.

What I have thought about doing is using my compression adapter and pipe compressed air into the cylinder when the intake valve is open and scrape away at the gunk in there. That will blow any loose stuff back out of the intake port.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Dang your expectations are low. That was six minutes before I answered. No telling how long before you get a useful answer.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
When I cleaned out my intake manifold (with major help and direction from MrCHill), Herm dropped in and showed us how to check:

Take a strong flashlight and an inspection mirror and look at the valve stems... If there's a buildup on them (especially # 2 & 3), they need to be "trimmed" down... of the 3 of us who were doing intake cleanings that day, of course mine was the only one deemed worthy of needing additional work...

Since I was massively sleep-deprived that day (not to mention that my eyesight isn't good enough to have seen the black buildup inside the black port), Herm just took over... One rotates the engine so that the camshaft lobes for the particular cylinder are pointing up and away from the valves, and one scrapes away, blowing away the debris with any type of compressed air. Then, rotate the engine for the next cylinder...

All the best,

Yuri.