VW Golf II TDI

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
Awesome! I cant wait to see the pics.

I guess the single round headlight setup does buy you some room, but the route would be similar I think.

That's a huge intercooler :)

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
So, i have been out for a while, i usually put in stand by all my projects during the summer...

So, new engine mount to give enough clearance for the turbo:

How is your axle clearance with this mount?

Nitrox

TDI
Golf II TDI
Awesome! I cant wait to see the pics.

I guess the single round headlight setup does buy you some room, but the route would be similar I think.

That's a huge intercooler :)
It has a large surface but it's quite thin!

Some pictures for you of the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler.

Now the outlet of the IC

Since i'm having a oil pressure gauge I changed the oil pressure sender for a VDO item. It does both tasks, providing the signal for the oem warning buzzer and signal for the gauge

How is your axle clearance with this mount?
I didn't know until yesterday, because the axle wasn't there. I put it in place and the clearence was not so good. So i flipped the back of the mount so it could be better

Nitrox

TDI
Golf II TDI
Here are the gauges for the GTD

VDO cockpit line

And a Votex console

I will try to put the gauges on the console with this carbon sheet

Nitrox

TDI
Golf II TDI
Your pictures are awesome! They make even the wrecked doner car look good. :)
Thanks Daniel ;)

Use the 260º Dbilas :):D

Look´s good from here
Thanks for the advice Silva!

Have you tried the other ones?

I'm finishing the wiring and I want to use the original tachometer. And I want to use the ECM signal.

From what I have read on the forum, to use the original tacho I have to buy a signal converter, or modify the original item with resistors...

My question is, with the Dakota SGI-8, does it work on a Diesel tacho? The one that reads the alternator signal?
Or do I have to change the tacho for a gasser item to use the Dakota?

Can someone help me please? :)

JoaoT4

Veteran Member
TDI
Eurovan Conversion
Nice work Nitrox. I have the same problem. I converted my VW T4 to TDI and I'm using the original cluster. I connected a wire to the alternator but the revs aren’t correct. The pulleys ratio is different. I would like to know which resistance I have to change to convert it to the ECU signal or to get the right revs. Now, when the engine is doing 2500 rpm the rev counter marks 2000 rpm. I also could use a passat 94-96 cluster, but I didn't find one yet.
Good luck with your project and keep us updated.

João

Nitrox

TDI
Golf II TDI
Nice work Nitrox. I have the same problem. I converted my VW T4 to TDI and I'm using the original cluster. I connected a wire to the alternator but the revs aren’t correct. The pulleys ratio is different. I would like to know which resistance I have to change to convert it to the ECU signal or to get the right revs. Now, when the engine is doing 2500 rpm the rev counter marks 2000 rpm. I also could use a passat 94-96 cluster, but I didn't find one yet.
Good luck with your project and keep us updated.

João
Hi João. From what i understood, you can only make a gas tacho work with the ECM signal. Could someone confirm this please?

Can someone give us a help...?

Nitrox

TDI
Golf II TDI
So, in order to increase the power i bought the classic Bosio Stage 1 nozzles

Everything was sorted out, engine was ready for the first start!

But, it didn't want to start lol! After 2 days of searching the issue, there were 2 little things: The previous alarm of the car and a wire of the IMmo wasn't connected. After solving those, the engine started on the fly.

And then, the first youth issue came along.

1. The vibration inside the cabin was huge!

2. There was a big oil leak from the cylinder head joint to the outside.

This meant that an engine rebuilt was need.

So, here we go again

Nitrox

TDI
Golf II TDI
The cylinders are in pretty good shape for 250,000 km.

This is the actual standing of the engine. I'm waiting for other parts to complete the job.

Meanwhile, I wanted to upgrade the rear beam, so i bought one with the sway bar.

Goodridge hoses on.

Brake upgrade

Nitrox

TDI
Golf II TDI
Parts in place.

I also wanted a quieter exhaust so I ditched the older one and bought a Jetex 2,5" system.

The fitting is superb the only thing I didn't like were the tail pipes. I wanted something more discrete so i started to modify them for a TDI style layout.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I like the FMIC intercooler pipe that runs between the airbox & Timing belt cover. I REALLY like it. So much that it may have change my future plans. Thx :)

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
nice thread! I used the same pulley setup on my mk2 ABA minus the power steering system, I am doing a similar swap myself, although I don't have a huge turbo to bolt on... yet! I am thinking about getting another serpentine waterpump pulley for my TDI

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Did you rehone your cylinders? I'm at a similar point with putting new rings in my block because I have the head off at 175,000 miles. My bores look really good with no noticible wear.

Nitrox

TDI
Golf II TDI
nice thread! I used the same pulley setup on my mk2 ABA minus the power steering system, I am doing a similar swap myself, although I don't have a huge turbo to bolt on... yet! I am thinking about getting another serpentine waterpump pulley for my TDI
thanks!

You should get the power steering, the driving pleasure is completly different!

I like the FMIC intercooler pipe that runs between the airbox & Timing belt cover. I REALLY like it. So much that it may have change my future plans. Thx :)
Thanks ;) It was done with a lot of pieces, all in 51mm diameter. The other one after the cooler is in 57mm.

Did you rehone your cylinders? I'm at a similar point with putting new rings in my block because I have the head off at 175,000 miles. My bores look really good with no noticible wear.
Yes it was done with a manual tool! TDI blocks are very good, they wear very little!

What kind of PAS fluid do you use guys? My PAS reservoir cap is red but i'm using green fluid since i bought the car.

I'm asking this because today a guy told me that i should use only red fluid. Otherwise it would kill the power steering...

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My power steering fluid cap is red. I use the OEM fluid which green. back in 2000 I tried to use dextron power steering fluid which is red and it caused a number of problems. I went through two steering racks and then a pump before I learned my lesson to use the OEM stuff. Your fluid should be the same as mine as the mk2/mk3 and corrados all use nearly identical pumps and racks.

Nitrox

TDI
Golf II TDI
My power steering fluid cap is red. I use the OEM fluid which green. back in 2000 I tried to use dextron power steering fluid which is red and it caused a number of problems. I went through two steering racks and then a pump before I learned my lesson to use the OEM stuff. Your fluid should be the same as mine as the mk2/mk3 and corrados all use nearly identical pumps and racks.

Thanks G60ING for your reply. I think i'll stick to the green fluid!

I have completed the exhaust

I'm anxious to ear the sound....

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
thanks!

You should get the power steering, the driving pleasure is completly different!

My 86 Jetta coupe came with manual steering, and believe me with a light weight ABA and 020 transaxle along with a trunk mounted battery, you don't even notice the lack of powersteering even in parking lots at slow speeds:cool: Way easier to work on too since there is less plumbing in the way! I am planning on keeping powersteering in my GTI TDI though since the whole assembly is a little heavier, and my plans are more for a daily driver aspect for the GTI, and turning my Jetta into a track car

SmokeFree

Vendor
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2008 Audi A3 2.0T, 2010 Mercedes Sprinter 3500
hey, what size is that AC delete serp belt if you have time to look?
The swap looks awesome! Giving me BIG plans to clean up my 1Z 88 Gti this summer! Rock on!

Nitrox

TDI
Golf II TDI
hey, what size is that AC delete serp belt if you have time to look?
The swap looks awesome! Giving me BIG plans to clean up my 1Z 88 Gti this summer! Rock on!
Hi! I will tell you that but it's the normal belt for non AC tdi's!

After putting the engine together and give it a start, for my bad surprise the oil leak was still there :mad:

It was the cam seal (new) that was leaking! after fixing that a quick wash and the first 100km of drive :D

i'm running the stock file with the 2256 and the nozzles the car must be around 150hp. It's pretty smooth and it pulls the 0,7 5th gear with no effort at all!

GTiTDi

TDI
Sweet! That is a nice looking mk2! I am working every night to get mine done, one more new brake line to fabricate and the engine is going in..So much work starting with a car that sat for so long..all the brake lines were rusty

Nitrox

TDI
Golf II TDI
I recently got a tacho converter to get the original tachometer work .

Easy instalation, the reading is 100% accurate.

The only problem is that when I reach 2500rpm the oil pressure starts to scream and the light blinking! If I disconnect the signal converter everything gets normal.

What would be the problem?

GTiTDi

TDI
I recently got a tacho converter to get the original tachometer work .

Easy instalation, the reading is 100% accurate.

The only problem is that when I reach 2500rpm the oil pressure starts to scream and the light blinking! If I disconnect the signal converter everything gets normal.

What would be the problem?
It may have something to do with the fact that the dynamic oil pressure warning system is not only signaled by oil pressure but by rpm's..you may be screwing up the signal to the oil pressure warning system...so I would it out of the cluster, its easily removable. then just set up a oil pressure gauge. I think the oil pressure light will still work with the warning unit circuitry removed. I did it on a late friends 16v gti.

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1.9 TDi DSG (Mk.V) 2008 - RIP
Love it, great job you have done.

But not sure about the graphics on the c-pillar, are they removable?

Nitrox

TDI
Golf II TDI
Love it, great job you have done.

But not sure about the graphics on the c-pillar, are they removable?

Thank you!

Yes they are removable but they are factory stickers... So I think I will leave them there ;)