skoda fabia tdi

chrisray

TDI
n/a soon maybe a golf 96' tdi
I know its not offically a vw but im thinking it still uses the vw group tdi engine, right? anyone got of these and how does it run with biodiesel..? and what ratio do you run?

As I'm hoping to buy either a Polo/Fabia/or Golf TDI (not PD) soon for mainly running biodiesel.. will it be ok?

Or should I think something like an older golf and get a two tank system.

Many Thanks,

Chris

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Chris,

If you buy a Volkswagen Group automobile with a TDI engine, the information on this site is directly applicable. As you mentioned, the engine you'd be dealing with is the same.

Now for some baseline information about biodiesel. If the car you buy was produced between '97-'03, then we're talking about a regular, non-PD engine. This, at least, is the case in North America. Your market may differ, so check to be sure which engine you have. The non-PD engines have a good history of being completely biodiesel compatible (so long as you use clean, fresh, standards-based fuel and don't try to run B100 in the winter - B20 is recommended in cold weather).

Pumpe Duese engines on the other hand have a much higher pressure rate at the injectors, so it's all the more important to have REALLY clean and fresh biodiesel. There are people on this site who are willing to investigate the effects of using higher blends, but to be on the conservative side with your blends is probably prudent.

Going grease is a much bigger personal undertaking. Not only do you have to modify your car, but you have to collect, filter, manage, clean, and fuel your car - and you better not forget to switch over to the non-grease tank in time to clear the fuel lines before shutting down each night. You could end up with a serious mess on your hands if you don't. Clog city.

I applaud those who go the grease route, but there is some question whether the TDI engine is the best choice for this approach, nevermind doing this with the much higher pressure PD engine. Grease seems to be better tolerated by older-tech diesels.

Good luck with your next car, and keep us posted on what you end up deciding to do.

And welcome to Fred's. This site has a HUGE knowledgebase of accumulated experience and helpful input from the members who hang out here.

~BeetleGo