2014 New Beetle suspension question

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Just wondering if the 2014 New Beetle uses the same shocks/struts I'd find on my 2013 JSW. I have an extra set of B8 shocks and struts and thought of putting them on mom's 2014 TDI for a funner ride.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The 2012+ Beetle is based on the NCS Jetta, so likely not the same, but maybe could work. The suspensions are not drastically different, especially in the front. And I am pretty sure the NCS uses the same 1K0 prefix for its front strut mounts, which is the A5 platform Typ code that your '13 wagon is.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
The 2012+ Beetle is based on the NCS Jetta, so likely not the same, but maybe could work. The suspensions are not drastically different, especially in the front. And I am pretty sure the NCS uses the same 1K0 prefix for its front strut mounts, which is the A5 platform Typ code that your '13 wagon is.
Well, as long as not drastic and somewhat compatible, I should be happy.

That being said, I'm going to assume the Mk7 Golf is not at all compatible with the NCS Jetta or the mk6 Golf/JSW (suspension-wise)?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The problem you will run into with VAG is that often times things look very similar, but are not exactly the same.

There is no such thing as an A6 (I hate the "mkX' moniker) wagon. The A5 wagon got a mild facelift and an updated dashboard. It is still very much the A5 underneath all the way through 2014.

That said, the A6 (which for us, means ONLY the Golf from 2010-14, Typ 5K1) is not drastically different than the A5.

The A7, while still an evolution of the AX cars, is more different yet. But again, some things change a LOT, some things change only a little. And given VAG is much like Lego, lots of parts from other models and other platforms can be used on something else.

For instance, on the NCS Jettas and NMS Passats (which are both similar in many respects), if you want to you can swap in the all-aluminum front subframe to replace the cheaper, heavier stamped steel versions those cars got. So a B6 Passat, or the CC (which is mechanically a B6) can be donors for that subframe.

You can take the fancy cast aluminum front carriers from a newer Audi A4 or A6 that still had the top mounted steering rack and put them in a B5 Passat to replace its heavier cast iron carriers.

You can swap over the first generation Audi TT's front steering and suspension into any A4 Golf and give it better handling and a lower center of gravity.