What body parts/ unibody are galvanized on the MK7 golf?

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
Tried to search - but the best I came up with is when the galvanizing started at VW. The 2015 brochure lists that the corrosion protection is 12 years/ unlimited miles, which seems to indicate that the unibody frame and the metal body panels are coated. But I'm not sure.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
AFAIK all body panels, they also use a waxy substance inside most voids, but that doesn't mean trouble is brewing.

On our Mk5 both front rockers had to be replaced (under corrosion warranty) due to junk sitting behind the wheel liner despite even having mud flaps. Not sure how the mk7 design will prevent that issue but I'm sure VW didn't like shelling out the 3,500 to fix our Mk5.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They've been dipping most car bodies since the '80s. I suspect this varies depending on model and country of origin, too. And that probably doesn't apply to the front fenders.

One thing I always do is remove the fender liners and clearcoat/protect everywhere underneath there, and if there are any foam pads on the inner fender arches in front either trim them back and protect underneath them or take them out.

Michigan is very harsh on cars. Not sure how much you can really do about it with 6 months of salt baths and horrible potholes everywhere.

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
I'd love to know what panels are or are not galvenzied, however with what I see locally with MK4 and MK5 models all rusted out - I haven't seen enough MK6's yet to make a determination if they are any better.

I am applying fluid film to the bottoms of my cars including the MK7.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
FYI mk6 is just mk5's, not much will be different.

Mk7 seems to be a new beast.