Anyone still have their TDI's?

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
My Golf continues to roll along into its 12th year. No plans to get rid of it. It needs some work on the fenders before the surface rust becomes perforations and a set of balljoints, but that's about it.

Just did the clutch, RMS, one CV boot replacement gone wrong had me swap out an entire axle with a new NAPA unit (still have the OEM, need to reboot & reinstall) this winter. Suspension refresh & 2nd timing belt two years ago.

It's a drama-free ride and when I get around to cleaning it out, washing & waxing, it looks pretty darn good too.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
This article gives me some hope.

First I've heard reporting of VW returning cars older and higher mileage than allowed per their CPO rules back to the roads. Via auction for 3rd party dealers, even.

The mention of them controlling release of the vehicles back to the market to ensure they don't flood the market and keep prices on the more profitable side is also not surprising. And hearing that also makes me wonder yet again if VW just might in fact return to this market with new TDIs, but not a moment before the supply of 'fixed' older cars has dried up.

soldierguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI S DSG
This article gives me some hope.

First I've heard reporting of VW returning cars older and higher mileage than allowed per their CPO rules back to the roads. Via auction for 3rd party dealers, even.

The mention of them controlling release of the vehicles back to the market to ensure they don't flood the market and keep prices on the more profitable side is also not surprising. And hearing that also makes me wonder yet again if VW just might in fact return to this market with new TDIs, but not a moment before the supply of 'fixed' older cars has dried up.
In my opinion, VW will be working on selling them for the next couple years. Sure, there's some pent-up demand, but to me, VW has to balance flooding the market if they offer too many at once, against the fact that cars don't do well when just sitting (increasing chances for things needing repairs), and vehicle depreciation in general.

I remember reading an article last spring (USA Today if I remember correctly) in which one dealer claimed that they had 5 offers for every TDI they were able to get. That was last spring, and that was the pent-up demand. I'd imagine that things have slowed a bit since then. Anecdotally speaking, the dealer I bought my '15 buyback Jetta from, seems to have had no problem selling them, but they also seem to sit on his lot for a bit before they go. For instance, mine shows as getting Phase One in November 2017, I remember initially seeing the car offered for sale in December, and I bought it at the end of January. But this is California, where Diesel fuel costs considerably more than gas, and there are probably a lot of people who think the fix is fake news and that the cars are still horribly polluting their babies.

I do hope that VW re-enters the Diesel market. I'm also hoping that a station near where I live or along my commute route starts offering Propel Diesel HPR. I'm not going to hold my breath for either one.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I still have my 04 Jetta that I purchased June of 08 and actually picked up a bit of a project vehicle in a round about way. For those that don't know, I ended up purchasing a TDI swapped 04 R32 that was being commissioned by rspring to have Steve at Technical Diesel Innovations build a big hp AWD TDI. Unfortunately rspring lost interest due to Steve's inability to finish the car, which is when I thought I could use it as the ideal track toy. Long story, short it took the help of friends, family, and a few TDIClub members nearly 2 years to get the car tidied up and running to its full potential.

Anywho, I think it would be tough for VW to introduce new TDI vehicles here in the states after Dieselgate, not saying I wouldn't like to see it, but with countries in Europe wanting to be diesel free by 2025 it would be an uphill battle. It's great to see that they are going start selling the buy back models in the not so distant future. :)

Well, I might as well post this here. I'm considering having a gtg or 2 depending on the interest. Some possible dates would be June 9th, June 16th, September 1st(Labor Day weekend), or October 20th. If there was enough interest, I'd be willing to do a spring gtg in June or a fall gtg the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, and the final option is having a gtg on October 20th. If quite a few people are interest in attending the gtg on Labor Day we could call it Midwest Fest :D

Jason let me know if you want me to start my own thread about having a gtg. I just figured this could be a starting point.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
The pent up demand has been satisfied. There has been a significant market correction and I think it is still underway. Just bought my son a Golf to add to the stable. In for the long haul, I hope.

vwgtiglx

TDI
2014 2.0 TD Chevy Cruze
Hey, I have an "04 R32 and a "04 Chevy Cruze TD. Maybe we can get together sometime and commiserate on how you accomplished that feat. If I come to the gtg, I'm torn to which car I should bring along.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Still have the Jetta and TT - will keep them going as I really like the Mkiv platform, however I test drove a Tesla Model S back in December. I think my next vehicle might be electric.

I'm as die hard of a car guy as most, but there are inherent advantages to an electric setup that are undeniable (<10% of the parts is one of them and damn those electrons move fast :)).

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
I've still have my 98 and 03 Jettas. The 98 is a strong runner, but the brake lines are rotted. The 03 has 209k miles and needs nothing, except some paint work due to failing clear coat and scratches.

My problem is too many projects around the homestead.

shadowhand

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Haven't been on here in ages, due to having a kid (3 years old) and building a house (just moved in!) I parked my TDI last winter due to some developing rust. Finally started driving it and figured it was time to finish the build. New injectors/nozzles, SMIC, and BRM intake manifold conversion on the way.

It's a shame that Dieselgate crushed the TDI boom. I don't plan on getting rid of mine until the wheels fall off, despite the fact that I seem to spend too much money on it every summer.

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
My 05 Golf is in my barn waiting for me to replace the transmission. I bought a '14 Chevy Volt in the meantime which I actually really like (much more than I thought I might). I also have a Tesla model 3 reservation, but at the rate they are going I may never see the configuration I'm waiting on.

I really love my Golf, but its got 340k on it and all the little annoying things are going wrong with her. While I enjoy working on it, I jsut don't have the free time I used to have.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Still have my 10 JSW. In my support of diesel, I went out and bought a 17 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. No gassers in my driveway, except when the kids are home.

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
In my support of diesel, I went out and bought a 17 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel.
Hopefully Fiat has worked out all the DEF system issues by now. We bought a '14 GC Ecodiesel Brand new. Great engine, but the DEF system sucks. All my trips to the dealer have been for DEF related repairs. I don't normally buy extended warranties, but I'm glad I did for that car.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My friend did a tune on his Ram because of the same issues. Bonus: now it gets nearly 30 MPG on the highway along with zero DEF usage and the MIL has never since shown itself.

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
Hey Oilhammer. If we decide to keep it that might be the route to go. Which tune did he get?

Our best mileage stock was 32 Mpg on a trip to North Carolina. All highway of course.

oilhammer

TDI
I think GDE? Is that one of them? I am not sure. It is an "econo" tune, meaning it is more for fuel economy than power. They run plenty good all on their own really. And I was pretty shocked it got nearly 30, but now the new F150 diesel is also claimed (by several sources) to be 30 MPG capable.

Diesels still win when it comes to moving something big and heavy with the least amount of fuel.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We're about to schedule an appointment for our Passat buyback. The Mk4 Jetta and 1991 Mercedes 350SDL are for sale. We might keep the Touareg since it's so unique and a beast in the winter, but otherwise, we're well on our way to an electric fleet.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Hey Oilhammer. If we decide to keep it that might be the route to go. Which tune did he get?

Our best mileage stock was 32 Mpg on a trip to North Carolina. All highway of course.
I think GDE? Is that one of them? I am not sure. It is an "econo" tune, meaning it is more for fuel economy than power. They run plenty good all on their own really. And I was pretty shocked it got nearly 30, but now the new F150 diesel is also claimed (by several sources) to be 30 MPG capable.

Diesels still win when it comes to moving something big and heavy with the least amount of fuel.
Yes, GDE is one of the few that make a tune for the Ram. There is another big tuner but I think they only operate in Canada. I'm thinking about it but might wait until I have the travel trailer and need the extra power to tow. They can also tune for engine braking. My only issue is that you either have to take the truck to them, southern Michigan, or send the ECM or purchase one from them. So you're without a vehicle while getting the tune.

Here's a link: http://www.greendieselengineering.c...m/GDE/Ram-1500-EcoDiesel-Hot-Tune/2_37.action

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
We're about to schedule an appointment for our Passat buyback. The Mk4 Jetta and 1991 Mercedes 350SDL are for sale. We might keep the Touareg since it's so unique and a beast in the winter, but otherwise, we're well on our way to an electric fleet.
BOO!

I do like the new Jaguar electric, although I have trouble overcoming the irony of an electric car from the nation of Lucas electrics.
^^^^^ Hahahahaa...

:)

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
For those that still have their TDI, heck even if you don't have your TDI, but are still into cars you're more than welcome to come to my October 20th Cruise/GTG in Sturgeon Bay, WI.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=488865
If we make it, probably be driving the K5 with a popup camper on the back. If I am not set up on the hunting property we may take a ride if Donna can get some time off. Never been on that peninsular.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I do like the new Jaguar electric, although I have trouble overcoming the irony of an electric car from the nation of Lucas electrics.
I laughed out loud. :)

It is a very intriguing looking vehicle with pretty good specs. I really like the interior trim options.

oilhammer

TDI
Ha! Yeah, but I have not seen a Jaguar with Lucas anything in decades. Even before the Ford takeover, most of what made them tick was Bosch, Denso, Hitachi, Delphi, Temic, Brose, Valeo, etc.

I put an alternator in a 2007 Volvo V70 yesterday. It was a Bosch, but made in Great Britain, its INA pulley was made in Spain, the power steering pump I had to remove to get to it was a ZF unit made in Hungary. Did the whole job, never did see a piece made in Sweden. :p

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I still have nightmares about my (short) ownership of a Jensen Healey and early MGB. :eek:
Owning a couple of MGB GT's (now long gone) and my Norton 850 Commando (still in my possession) taught me loads about Lucas electrics :)

Also necessitated the purchase of Wentworth tools

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
Yes, GDE is one of the few that make a tune for the Ram. There is another big tuner but I think they only operate in Canada. I'm thinking about it but might wait until I have the travel trailer and need the extra power to tow. They can also tune for engine braking. My only issue is that you either have to take the truck to them, southern Michigan, or send the ECM or purchase one from them. So you're without a vehicle while getting the tune.

Here's a link: http://www.greendieselengineering.c...m/GDE/Ram-1500-EcoDiesel-Hot-Tune/2_37.action

Thanks!