Cold weather grill kits

No longer available

thanks to everyone who purchased a kit!

Last edited:

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
I use pipe insulation .... looks OK and costs about $5. Totally blocks the entire front opening from wind, snow, slush etc from getting to your rad.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
How about some pics of these kits installed on a few vehicles? Thanks. :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Is this the same guy? Or is the the upholstery shop that the OP of that other thread bad make the kits?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
From the posts in the other thread, I am assuming it's the same shop making the kits.

He used certain words like:

Cold weather grill kits are back for 2013/2014!
Previously we offered "TDI" logos available on one of the upper grill sections.

Based on this and the posts in the other thread, with pictures, are the reason I linked this old thread to this one. If I did so in error, I will gladly remove the link.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
From the posts in the other thread, I am assuming it's the same shop making the kits.

He used certain words like:

Cold weather grill kits are back for 2013/2014!
Previously we offered "TDI" logos available on one of the upper grill sections.

Based on this and the posts in the other thread, with pictures, are the reason I linked this old thread to this one. If I did so in error, I will gladly remove the link.
I think it's great that you linked to this thread. That other one was from quite some time ago and the guy basically disappeared when prompted for a vendor registration (guess he wasn't interested in actually running a side business). I was just trying to get some clarification on the situation and hoping for some pics in the thread. ;)

+1 for cold weather kits! :)

silverbulletwagon

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
The username says it well ;)
I am the guy from the upholstery shop where Brian was getting the kits from. I finally applied for Vendor status last winter to make a more direct connection for TDI enthusiasts to get the kits.

I will get some pics of the available kits on and off the cars.

Last edited:

silverbulletwagon

TDI
Thanks!

Pics of some of the kits now in OP. Now I just need some pics of the kits installed.

95redrado

TDI
03 jetta tdi
This isn't the best picture but here is one on my jetta (middle one), I don't have a block heater and it reduced my warm up time quite noticeably.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Any chance you'll be making a B5.5 Passat one?

silverbulletwagon

TDI
otty, I don't know the Passat as well. What year range is the B5.5?

If anyone is looking for a kit we do not offer send me details of your car and pics to info@velocityupholstery.com

We would like to develop as many kits as you need!

Thanks!

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
The B5.5 was 2004-2005 in the TDI version only in North America. They were made since around 2000 (B5 Passat, not much different) in various gasser versions though I suppose they wouldn't need a cold weather kit so much

silverbulletwagon

TDI
My neighbour has a Passat wagon in a similar year range. Can you email me some pics? If it matches his car I will make up a kit!

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I guess I am going blind I can not see anything is the pictures?
An early post shows a top grill cover but I don't see any lower covers.

You really need all the grill covered even the intercooler. The last winters I have been pulling off the intercooler grill and putting a towel into the intercooler box then pulling the lower center grill and sliding 2 pieces of silver sunshade cut to fit over the radiator.
The car heats up good and even on warmer days will not over heat.

I monitored that intercooler temps and they still stayed fairly low so power was not hurt. I would rather have a custom kit that would completely cover all the vents to the radiator and intercooler.

silverbulletwagon

TDI
I double checked and the pics appear to be working.

Installed pic added in the OP of a MK3 Jetta. Sorry that it does not show the lower grill under the license plate very well at all.

If anyone who purchased a kit previously can upload or email me installed pics I can post them. Thanks

Thanks for all the support.

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
I guess I am going blind I can not see anything is the pictures?
An early post shows a top grill cover but I don't see any lower covers.

You really need all the grill covered even the intercooler. The last winters I have been pulling off the intercooler grill and putting a towel into the intercooler box then pulling the lower center grill and sliding 2 pieces of silver sunshade cut to fit over the radiator.
The car heats up good and even on warmer days will not over heat.

I monitored that intercooler temps and they still stayed fairly low so power was not hurt. I would rather have a custom kit that would completely cover all the vents to the radiator and intercooler.
Yes.. what Birdman says.... I repeat do they cover the lower grill area's as well?

silverbulletwagon

TDI
Yes, they only cover the center of the lower grill middle grill. The have the same coverage as the oem kits that used to be available from the dealer.

silverbulletwagon

TDI
Thank you everyone who placed an order.

Kits are going into production and should be ready to ship by the end of next week.

I will contact you individually with tracking info once shipped.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
I am interested in a set for a Passat B5.5 too. Please post pictures as soon as you have a prototype. Also, I suggest making a post (if allowed by the mods) in the B5.5 forum. It's not often a vendor pays attention to us ;)

silverbulletwagon

TDI
If anyone is interested in a kit not listed in the original post, I would need to borrow a vehicle for a day to make a kit/template from it.

I already have one Toureag owner willing to let me use his vehicle. I have requests for mk5, mk6 Golf and Jetta, B5.5 & B7 and a few others. If you know of someone who is willing to loan or drop off their vehicle for a day, I will provide a free kit to that person. And free shipping for the referral person too!

Thanks again for all your support!
Tim

Last edited:

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
Could use one for my 2010 sportwagen. Egr removal has made warm up time 20 mins in this frigid cold wave!