VCDS/Vag-Com

Baxter'sTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Hey guys! I hate to make this my first post but it is my first problem with my TDI. I've only owned my Jetta for a few weeks now but my injection pump started leaking. Not a big deal as far as the mechanical work. I've watched the videos on youtube and I'm okay to reseal the pump until I need to set the IQ with the Vag-Com tool. I plan on driving my TDI until the doors fall of so if the price is right, I'm interested in purchasing this tool. My questions are, is it practical to purchase it, (will I use it often, what all can I use it for?), and if so, where can I purchase one? Thanks for any and all responses. I look forward to learning a lot from you guys!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
If you really plan on keeping the TDI, you will need it, probably more often than you care to know. Unless someone close by has one to share, buy a genuine registered version to work with your computer.
Ross Tech.com or some of the vendors on the forum have it available. The guys from Ross Tech are on the OBD section of the forum often to help with related questions and issues.

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
I bought a cable without an urgent need for it at the time. It's a very cool tool-- it opens a huge window on an incredibly computerized car. If you'd like to test drive a cable, you can borrow mine. The software download is free.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bought a cable without an urgent need for it at the time. It's a very cool tool-- it opens a huge window on an incredibly computerized car. If you'd like to test drive a cable, you can borrow mine. The software download is free.
What a great offer!! Nice guy.:)

Baxter'sTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Wow. Thank you very much! I will be able to set my IQ with this right? Just to make sure. Sorry I'm kinda slow sometimes... :D

Baxter'sTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Well... I need to change the title of this thread to "Absolute Newb Questions." I'm now leaning more towards just buying a cable. So I've given up looking for answers on my own. I need someone to hold my hand. Can someone explain to me exactly what I need to do to reset my IQ after I change the seal? Let's see if this is right...

1. Download free software of some kind. What and where?
2. Get my hands on a cable of some kind. What cable do I need? Is there more than one option? I'M SO CONFUSED!
3. Connect computer to car through cable and set IQ. (Doesn't seem so bad.)
Thanks guys for your patience. I'm better with my old mechanical Cummins!

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
I've never set my IQ with the cable, but it looks pretty straightforward. My coworker still has my cable, but you're welcome to use it when I get it back. The couple of guys I loaned it to said that they just went to Ross-Tech.com, and downloaded the software for free. There should be a thread somewhere here on the club on how to re-set your IQ with VCDS.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bought a genuine cable here. http://www.ross-tech.com/
Yep. Get the real, genuine Ross Tech cable. You pay for the cable when you buy it and the software (VCDS) is free download. There are cheap ebay cables out there, but only work in a limited use. You won't be able to do everything with them that a genuine one is capable of and sometime you will want/need those functions. Plus, the guys from Ross Tech put tons of effort, time, expense, etc into developing this and deserve to be making a dime on it. Not to mention that they are on the OBD forum and will provide support for their product.
You will never regret having VCDS if you're going to be a VW owner.

Baxter'sTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Thanks again everyone. I'm a good learner but this vehicle is brand new to me and I need to fix it as soon as possible. I feel like I'm scrambling for a quick fix... :D

Baxter'sTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
If it's not I'm blaming you!:D
No really guys, thanks for all your help. I appreciate you bearing with my ignorance.