Here's what I did this weekend...

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Guys,

Added this to the Beetle this weekend:

My plan is to change oil every 250 hours. In case you're wondering about the dimmer switch, I just finished installing OEM HID headlight. The right part of the dimmer switch is a manual leveling switch (OEM) for the projectors.

Eric

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
Shenandoah said:
Guys,

Added this to the Beetle this weekend:

My plan is to change oil every 250 hours. In case you're wondering about the dimmer switch, I just finished installing OEM HID headlight. The right part of the dimmer switch is a manual leveling switch (OEM) for the projectors.

Eric
What is the benefit of this? Why this, as opposed to the manufactures recc. 10K? I set me change at about 8-9K cause I run it hard, and I still have a hard time with not changing it at 3k like the old gasser days.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Hopefully your Hobbs meter doesn't tick loudly like the one on my generator.

The benefit (if there is one) is that "hours" is thought to be a better gauge of usage than "miles". Ask any pilot! Think of it this way... how long is your engine running if you drive 10,000 miles at an average of 20 MPH (city driving). What about an average of 45 MPH (highway)?

At a 45 MPH average, the engine would have run for 222 hours.

At a 20 MPH average, the engine would have run for 500 hours.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Tell us more about the hour meter; is it 12v or is it motion activated?
I now have the 12v and change my oil every 400+ hours, and based on
UOA the oil is still good. My meter is in the GB.
I had a motion type meter, but that proved to be inaccurate.
It was made by some company here in Chicago, but I don't recall the name.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
At the coal mine I work at the engines are done at 250 hours, with the newer ones at 300 hours. Some mines go to 500 hours. But there are others that go on total fuel burned between oil changes as that tell better of revolutions then miles or hours. Since hours could be either at idle in town or wide open on the interstate pulling a trailer and miles coule be all in 3 gear or all in 5th (or 6th) gear so you still would have different total revolutions. Either way just as long as it works for you.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
JB05 said:
Tell us more about the hour meter; is it 12v or is it motion activated?
I now have the 12v and change my oil every 400+ hours, and based on
UOA the oil is still good. My meter is in the GB.
I had a motion type meter, but that proved to be inaccurate.
It was made by some company here in Chicago, but I don't recall the name.
This one?

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Guys,

The Hobbs meter I installed is a Honeywell 85331 6.5v - 16v DC. It does click, but it's not that noticeable. I installed it this weekend when I changed my oil and installed my DieselGeek Bypass filter.

I installed it because I want to know how many hours my engine is running compared to miles driven. Thanks.

Eric

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I hate you! You have the option to use just parking lights! Both of my VWs are either all on or all off. Did you install that switch yourself or is it factory?

Nice job on the hour meter. I miss having that...it was on my Chevy and Ford trucks and it was nice, especially in MN where it did a lot more idling...gave me a much better guage of when the truck needed serviced. Would you be willing to show how you hooked it up? I may have to find a local NAPA and pick one up. Thanks!

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
CMB430,

Sorry for the late reply on the light switch. I installed the Euro lightswitch last year. This is on my Beetle. I tested the wires in the light switch harness/plug to determine which controlled the daytime running lights. I then pulled that wire out of the plug and taped it (so it didn't short on anything). I am probably going to wire the parking lights in the HID headlights as daytime running lights. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Thanks.

Eric