HIgher Ride Height?

slojoe

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Does anyone make springs that raise a NB over stock height? My car currently is lowered, which is a drag. With winter coming I need all the help I can get at the trailhead, so I will replace the lowered springs. Does anyone make raising springs, or am I limited to factory height and no higher? Just an inch or two, so it can be compensated with a toe-in adjustment and nothing more. Also, does anyone make a slightly stiffer spring set for the rear? (for towing)

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Why yes, yes there is!

You could be sensible like me and go with a 1" lift:

Or be more bold and go higher, like lrpavlo , who has a 2" lift on his bright green NB

I believe metalnerd is in the last stages of testing his lift kits. I got mine from JETaah. Clearance is a good thing

I don't know if I'm at liberty to discuss specifics, but they basically move the stock susupension down relative to the car. Works good!

-Jason

slojoe

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
OK, that's good to know. So are your springs of the top-secret, one-off variety, or can mere mortals acquire them as well?
Do they fit the NB? Did you have the front end aligned after installation? How does the car handle?

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
So are your springs of the top-secret, one-off variety, or can mere mortals acquire them as well?
Do they fit the NB? Did you have the front end aligned after installation? How does the car handle?
The springs are stock, he has spacers installed to raise the car.

slojoe

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Thanks everyone for the info. I had tried a search and nothing came up. My main obstacle is that the car has been lowered with sport springs and Billstein HD's. So I need new springs. A 1" lift (over stock) is all I need. I also want the most cost-effective solution. $520 for 4 custom springs is a bit more than I care to spend. I was thinking I could probably find a set of stock springs cheap from someone with a lowered car, then get a 1" lift kit. Or would it be cheaper to buy 1" over springs, is there such a thing? Finally, will I need new shocks/struts? Metalnerd says his kit won't work with the HD's, is there one that will? Or do I need taller shocks/struts to fit the taller springs? I hope someone understands all these questions and can help out! Meanwhile I'll try another search. Thanks!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I bet there is someone who would trade their stock springs for your short springs. Maby check on vortex?

-J

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Sorry, the custom springs were about $150.00 / pair.

Ben

9/12/9 Edit : Update note about Coil Spring Specialties. Another TDIClub member and myself had ordered sets of springs in the spring of 2009. We both had a rough time getting the custom springs ordered as wanted, and then they were not right. And things did not go well in trying to correct the issues. Prior to this, I had ordered from them twice with an easy time placing the order and getting what I wanted.

Last edited:

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
OK, want to raise the car on the cheap? First find some GLI VR6 springs on vortex do a search about these here because people were looking for a way to reclaim some ride hight lost due to the oem metal skid plate. Second there is an oem 12mm spacer that can be put on the front and rear shock/strut assembly. I have this set up on my car and got about 1" extra ride hight and haven't scraped the skid plate in over a year. You do have a metal skid plate don't you? Hope this helps
Paul
aka Jump62

gidb36

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle,1998,White,1988 Suzuki Samurai with Ecodiesel installed
So would the GLI VR6 springs give a little extra height for a Beetle?

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
It should but I would do a little searching at Vortex and new bettle .org to see if someone has done it. Remember I also put a spacer in the front to get an extra 12mm
Paul
aka Jump62

Olbrenner

TDI
New Beetle, 2000, Gelp
Recently had the 1" lift kit from Metalnerd installed. After installing an aluminum skid plate I was dragging alot, needed to do something. If you buy Metalnerd's kit he requires you to replace the shocks and struts if you are over 10K in mileage. I had 95K on mine and the fronts were gone but I didn't know it which probably contributed to a lower front end. If you wanted to save the cost of the kit trying the VR6 springs, used, and new struts/shocks maybe the way to go but then the labor would be the same even if you added the kit. The kit's probably cheaper than new springs however.

slojoe

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Thanks to everyone for all the info. Yes, I have a steel skid plate. At this point I'm looking for used, stock springs, and I'll try the VW bushings. Will the factory 12mm bushings work with the HD front shocks? Do I need to take everything apart to install the bushings?

My shocks seem fine, so I would prefer to keep them. If anyone has any used, stock NB springs for sale/trade, let me know! I will trade my springs straight across, I think they are from Eibach. Meanwhile I'll keep searching the various forums.

Bigdave

Jump62,

Do you any more info on those "OEM 12mm spacers" that give you 1/2inch suspension lift. I am desperate.

I bought a new NB TDI from Southern VW in Waldorf MD back in 2001. Four months later I shipped it to Africa and drove it around Zimbabwe for two years. In 2003 I shipped it to India where it has scraping up the streets of New Delhi ever since. Needless to say the entire bottom is trashed. There are no VW dealers here and no mechanics I trust to install one of those Metalnerd style lift kits.

Any info that you have will be appreciated.

BigDave

Bigdave

Thanks PeterD.

I can't order the Metalnerd kit because I live outside the U.S. and can't get allignment data. Does this spacer work on the rear suspension too? Jump62 mentioned he had front and rear spacers.

Dave

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Wagon 285k - Gone ‘10 JSW - Gone '13 Q7 145k
The front and rear spacers are different. The MN kit with some Blistein TC's is awesome, well worth the ~$500. It is quite easy to install for anyone with with some mechanical experience and the necessary tools (several of which can be fabricated, 3rd world-style). Talk to MN and see if you can work something out or forfeit you alignment deposit. Best mod I have done to my wagon.

charlestdi

TDI
GL Wagon,2003, Mojave
Bilstein HD's and a 2" lift

I got the 2" lift from the guy who provided diesel geek with the info. DieselGeek perfected the rear shock extensions that had broken with the earlier version. The car is lifted, solid and handles great. Diesel geek perfected the previous designers system which broke on me twice, once in Provo, Utah and once in Queens, NY. In Provo, I welded it at a Home Depot, and in Queens I took the entire shock assembly off the car. These two events happened and I live in AZ.

Dieselgeek has a great system and works best with the HD's.

I have about 50k miles on dieselgeeks new rear shock extensions that box in the lower shock attachment when the previous version just extended the upper portion.

Best of Luck, you will not be dissappointed going for the 2" lift

CharlesTDI

Bigdave

Thanks everyone for all your help.

I just installed a 2" lift kit supplied by Marty Bergel. The install took about 4 hours using just hand tools and cost $150.

Marty's kit uses a rear shock extension located on the top shock mount. This means no drilling on the car.

Marty is a TDI mechanic in Michigan and sells (and installs) the kit out of his shop. His kit requires no deposit, no waiver agreement, and no new struts or allignment data.

I can email pics if anyone is interested.

BigDave