Worlds fastest VW? (salt flats LSR)

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Anyone know for sure what's the land speed record for a VW-powered car?

The Double Eagle ran a touch over 227 in its first run today. Tomorrow morning is the backup run to lock in the speed ("official" speed is the average of two runs)

This is a V10 touareg TDI engine.

Best Info I could find is 227 mph is the current land speed record for a VAG, set by a Skoda factory race team in 2013. Anyone have any better info?

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
184 mph for the backup run this morning (by design) just to lock in a new incremental land speed record in the 5-liter diesel class @205 mph (average of 2 runs). Now it's time to go fast.

Land speed racing is a whole different thing than "capable of X top speed". A brief moment at some top speed followed by braking is not the same thing as maintaining an average speed over 3 consecutive flying miles on an 8 mile run. The history of the salt flats is strewn with cars that were "top speed capable" yet could not complete pair of timed runs at anywhere close to their "claimed" top speed.

Now the bugatti. It's limited by the wheels and tires. Mandatory replacement after every top speed run at a cost of $40k for the set. They are rated for a mere 20 seconds at that theoretical speed before literally exploding. That's not long enough to make one full pass at the long course at speed. Much less the backup run after impound. But I have to say it would be interesting to see how it would turn out should some rich dude decide to actually try it. $40k per pass. Remember, pavement is very very different from the salt. And 4500 ft altitude. Probably a shoe-in for 150 mph club but not guaranteed by any means.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I thought runs had to be in opposite directions within a short time span to eliminate environmental factors.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Speed week 2018:

277 MPH

Last edited:

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
and 1200f max egt. 4100 rpm. Lots of room to grow with different gearing

no backup pass so not an official record yet

Last edited:

Jetmugg

Veteran Member
TDI
None
What's equally impressive to me is the Potter Brothers' Racing VW Passat, which is the G/PS recordholder at something like 234 mph.

That's in a stock bodied Passat with a 2 liter turbo gasoline engine.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Doesn't the Veyron beat that, right out of the box? Or is that not technically a "Volkswagen" because it doesn't wear a VW on its nose?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
That's pretty cool! I've always thought the v10 was meant for something cooler than a T'reg. :) What is the car using for a transmission and driveline?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Now the bugatti. It's limited by the wheels and tires. Mandatory replacement after every top speed run at a cost of $40k for the set. They are rated for a mere 20 seconds at that theoretical speed before literally exploding. That's not long enough to make one full pass at the long course at speed. Much less the backup run after impound. But I have to say it would be interesting to see how it would turn out should some rich dude decide to actually try it. $40k per pass. Remember, pavement is very very different from the salt. And 4500 ft altitude. Probably a shoe-in for 150 mph club but not guaranteed by any means.
Can't comment on the factory tires on salt. But I'm pretty sure the quote goes something more like the tires are only designed to hold up to top speed for about 15 minutes. But don't worry, at full tilt the car will run out of fuel in about 12 minutes...