Bottoming out problem

kennster

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI(RIP), 2011 Jetta TDI Highline(RIP),2015 Passat TDI Highline
I just purchased a 2015 Passat TDI...loving it...but it seems to bottom out in the front...but the shocks seem fine..Im guessing the Passat is a softer ride than my 2011 Jetta TDI...but it seems too mushy....anyone else have this issue???

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
the diesels do have softer springs..

i put rear towing springs in mine and it lifted up the back end a bit..but id still like to stiffen up the front

kennster

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Strider...i have two seadoos...was planning on putting on a trailer hitch...total weight is 1500lbs...do i need new springs on the rear??..

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)

kennster

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Strider...cheersss

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
It says these springs are for mk5/6 wagon, is it the same size as 15 Passat ?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Passat has a mk5 rear suspension so yeah they fit. Toss a mk5 rear sway bar on it too if you want to enjoy corners some more.

Passat went on a huge diet for the NMS vs the euro based B6. Comparing the curb weight of a NMS and a Mk5 jetta, the NMS is only a couple hundred pounds heavier yet has nearly twice the interior size.

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
I was comparing GSW of the same year and was surprised to see a small weight difference, expected a lot more, which sway bar do you recommend and if there's anything for the front to help with cornering ?

kennster

Veteran Member
TDI
I went to a spring place...they said that they could change all the struts to bilsteins..they are firmer than stock...that would help the bottoming out...good idea?...or should i change the springs as well??

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was comparing GSW of the same year and was surprised to see a small weight difference, expected a lot more, which sway bar do you recommend and if there's anything for the front to help with cornering ?

It just shows you how much weight/bloat they cut out of the NMS!

GSW isn't the same rear end, its a mk7 on the MQB platform, GSW TDIs have twist beam, not IRS.

MK5 and Mk6 rear ends are pretty much identical seeing MK6 JSW (up until 2014) was just a warmed over mk5.

I went with H&R for their maintenance free quiet bushings, haven't had any issues in the 2 years it's been on.

Had the same bar on my MK5 for 120K and it was silent.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I think the shocks and struts play just as big of a role in bottoming out as the springs do.

While the springs support the weight of the car and a fatigued spring can allow the weight to push down more, the struts and shocks have valves inside which are supposed to dampen quick or heavy movements.

In this case, since the car is a 2015 I highly doubt the springs are that fatigued already. I bet the OP would see a greater difference with swapping out the shocks and struts.

I personally recommend the Koni Special Active (previously called FSD). I have them on my car with the stock springs and the car rides SO MUCH BETTER.

kennster

Veteran Member
TDI
I replaced the shocks and struts with Bilsteins....The ride is soooooo much better...it feels like my old jetta now.firm and can feel the road....not like a cadillac elderado like it used too.....thanks guys..cheers

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Is there any way to stiffen up the rear on a passat for towing beside new springs ? I only have 25K miles and would like to avoid it if possible, looking to grab 24mm sway bar for better handling at the same time

kennster

Veteran Member
TDI
I want the same thing..i have seadoos..gonna install a trailer hitch soon..i need to stiffen up the rear...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Firestone air helper bags will do it. Or Air Lift ones, see if 80753 fill fit the Passat.

Air up the rear when towing then reduce pressure around town, sag will be gone.

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
ive had the airbag setup on my mk4....didnt really like it it was either WAY too stiff and raised up too high or the bags were completely deflated....not to mention it eventually develops leaks.

if anything i would reccomend helper spring bushings that coil up between the coils. keeps it almost stock height but doesnt drop as much with weight on the back..

i run towing springs on my passat....might experiment with the coil supports along with lowing the whole car...depends how often ill end up using my trailer

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
I'm trying to avoid air bags as they start leaking after some time, search doesn't show anything when typing in towing springs beside the bags

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Sumo spring helpers is what you want.

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
thats bs...just measure the distance between the coil and order one thats suits the best...thats what i did

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
thats bs...just measure the distance between the coil and order one thats suits the best...thats what i did
Any difference in rear spring size between gas and tdi models ? Etrailer has sumo helpers for gas but not a diesel

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
I mean they have Firestone brand not the sumo that supposedly fits only gas model

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
all i know is tdi models are softer ride....best bet is to measure and compare....there is a chart somewhere on sumosrpings site...or call them

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
id like to also possibly run oem "sport" struts/shocks with passat CC spring and sumo springs on the back....i think it would stiffen up the ride, wont sag the back and lower the car a bit...but thats only if i find super cheap coils...otherwise just go with lowering springs