Engine vibrates, losses power when cold

mikeiz

TDI
Passat 2013
In the morning when I first drive my 2013 Passat TDI, the engine vibrates severely and I lose power when its about 1600-1800 RPM. After a few minutes, or so and I accelerate through the vibration, it runs fine and continues to run fine for the whole day, as though there was no issue. I took the car to the dealer and they had it for a week and told me the transmission was bad and it would cost $6000 to replace. I said no and I have a hard time believing that my transmission is bad, I think they just didn't know what was wrong because the engine was not giving the mechanics any codes. I have the emission fix, but it's been running fine since the fix and then this started to happen in December. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong and what I can do?

VeeDubFamily

TDI
2013 NMS Passat TDI SEL
I have a ‘13 TDI and had to have my DSG replaced at 165k. Was driving 80mph flashing wrench came on and car went into “limp” mode. Pulled over shut car off, waited a few minutes, started it. Drive fine, 15 mins later happened again. Limped it to the dealer 45 mins away. Went into limo mode total if 5 times. Being that I could restart the car and it would run fine told me it was software. Sure enough dealer confirmed trans was bad. I think it might have been just the mech unit. Was $5k to replace and had to wait 3 weeks for it to come from Germany. At 180k now and no issues since

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I have a ‘13 TDI and had to have my DSG replaced at 165k. Was driving 80mph flashing wrench came on and car went into “limp” mode. Pulled over shut car off, waited a few minutes, started it. Drive fine, 15 mins later happened again. Limped it to the dealer 45 mins away. Went into limo mode total if 5 times. Being that I could restart the car and it would run fine told me it was software. Sure enough dealer confirmed trans was bad. I think it might have been just the mech unit. Was $5k to replace and had to wait 3 weeks for it to come from Germany. At 180k now and no issues since

Good luck

Confused. Did the dealer tell you WHY it was the trans and not the mechatronic unit? Did you really need a new trans?

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I have a '13 as well and after the fix mine did the exact same thing when cold, in the morning and afternoon, ever so often I would get a code:

1 Fault Found:
8845 - Torque Difference Cylinder 4
P1007 00 [096] - Limit Value Exceeded
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Just like you I would simply power through and it would clear up and be fine until the next morning or afternoon. I was planning to swap the injector on cylinder 4 and see if the issue moved to a different cylinder but the entire issue has went away? Last time mine was at the Dealer was to have the heater core replaced, maybe they did an ECU update as well?

VeeDubFamily

TDI
2013 NMS Passat TDI SEL
Confused. Did the dealer tell you WHY it was the trans and not the mechatronic unit? Did you really need a new trans?

When I inquired they would only state that the trans was bad. They just kept telling me that the code given requires replacement.

I don’t know for certain but: I heard that a trans shop would have replaced the mech unit, but that the dealer won’t.

Pretty sure I got taken for more than I should have, but if I get another 165k miles or more out of this one...then it was worth it.

I drive a minimum of 700 miles a week and need this car. Nothing else in the market has the range that this does.

Hoping for over 300k before I contemplate my next DD, which hopefully will be a fully electric VW made in the Chattanooga plant!!!