diesel sales in Duetschland and europe

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
I believe the diesel's market share in Europe and other countries will steadily increase in the coming years in spite of what the main stream media claims.
We can only hope VW will attempt to bring these marvelous machines back to NA.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
A plug in hybrid with a range extending diesel engine to charge the battery like the now discontinued Chevy Volt would great. Diesels can be tuned to run cleanly and efficiently when a rpm range is limited to just run a generator. Time will tell.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think VW has so much invested in ICE development that they just can't let it go. It reminds me of the NASA SLS project that is forced to use old rocket engine designs, etc.
because so much was spent developing them. What we'll get for our tax dollars is a ridiculously overpriced disposable rocket that will probably just launch once, if it all. Sometimes it's just better to let the sunk costs go, and start with a clean sheet.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I think we will see them again given that most others are seeing great success with diesels and that my friend who has a Chevy bolt cant drive to work this week due to it being almost useless at -25F due to the range being lowered so much, he is renting a Hyundai this week! After my wife totaled my 2013 TDI I spent 2 months looking at a replacement and NOTHING could match the TDI for my rural 100 mile commute. The new honda clarity can, but it was more than double what a used TDI SEL premium cost me.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
My only hope is a TDI in an Atlas or Tiquan, that'd be the only way I'd ever contemplate either one.

Sales numbers of sedans and hatchbacks are so low, heck just look at the "new" 2020 Passat that was just released, it's 90% the same car from 2012, I honestly couldn't tell the a difference in the interior.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
I know right, its the same car! good for us i suppose, hey my cowoker just picked up a 18' GMC terrain with the diesel and its very impressive. I didn't think a 1.5L would work in a SUV but it sure does! she gets a solid 40MPG.... but the start stop on a diesel really awefull and she cannot get it disabled

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
does the auto start stop disable itself until the car is up to temp? I've driven an auto start stop skoda octavia estate 4x4 with MT 6spd, wasn't bad at all, even in city traffic.

(I'd give my left cashew for that exact same car here in the states)

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Do these auto start/stop vehicles use another starter? It seems like all that extra work would fry the starters on these cars a lot faster.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Do these auto start/stop vehicles use another starter? It seems like all that extra work would fry the starters on these cars a lot faster.
I think the real issue with those automatic stop/start vehicles isn't the wear on the starter, but rather the astronomical number of dry starts the main crank bearings and the rod bearings will be exposed to. Most wear on these bearings happens at start when the oil pressure is zero, so it would be interesting to know how the manufacturers addressed this issue.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
same starter, it fires right up when the brake lights are off- and I agree, diesel combustion puts ALOT more stress on un pressurized main's