Gen 2 emission fix - AdBlue issue over 80 MPH

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
So I got my emission fix for my '13 Passat done a couple of weeks ago, which was on hold for a while due to a bug in the software that caused a fault when driving over 80 MPH.

We went on a road trip last week, and on returning home yesterday I get the dreaded "AdBlue failure, 200 miles to no start" at a time when I, um, might have been driving slightly over 80. Interestingly this was at a point in the trip where 200 miles would have gotten me home then to the dealer, where I had planned to pull into their drop-off bay and wait for them to tell me to please turn off the car :)

Driving at a lower speed for the next 50 miles or so cleared the failure warning (which was a relief as I really didn't have time to go to the dealer this morning,) though the CEL, of course, remains.

I'll pull codes and let you know what I find, and of course a trip to the dealer is in order, but I'm wondering if it's possible they loaded the wrong update software.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
There is a second update that should be done: 23z3 “improved” post approved emissions modifiation engine control module software update, if your emission modification was done that recently both should have been done. I have not done mine yet, my emission modification was done 9/15/17 20,000 miles ago. I had the ad blue heater replaced over the summer 7,000 miles ago.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Geez cant they ever get it right the first time such as testing it THEMSELVES before releasing the update? Idiots in VW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
So I got my emission fix for my '13 Passat done a couple of weeks ago, which was on hold for a while due to a bug in the software that caused a fault when driving over 80 MPH.
It is possible they did it incorrectly, when i went in to have mine done well over a month after the notice was sent out the dealer said i was the first one in and it would take longer to make sure they did everything correct... I'm starting to realize how few kept their cars

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the pointer to the "improved" update, I expect they didn't apply that. I guess VW didn't bother with an updated initial fix, which makes sense.

This morning the CEL cleared (though clearly there's still stored codes.) Time for another trip to the dealer.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Customer Care just confirmed that the "post AEM update" had been performed. They agree there's a possible issue and have opened a case, now back to the dealer.

I swear, my superpower is breaking software.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I just had the 23z3 emissions modification engine control module software update done today. I virtually never drive the '13 Passat over 75 let alone 80 mph but didn't want to leave anything to chance. FWIW, I did not notice any difference whatsoever in how the car performs on the way home.

I do find it remarkable that my 013 Passat has been to the dealer at least 8 if not 10 times for various recalls since the car was newt. I've lost track of them all, but it just goes on forever, not to mention all the additional warranty extensions for things like heater core, turbo, clock spring, emissions, etc.

My '05 Passat TDI had just one a recall (glow plugs) in 14 years and no warranty extension ever issued that I can remember. VW failed to issue the one warranty extension or recall that the '05 actually needed, namely for the balance shaft module:eek:

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
My 14 Passat post fix threw the code about one month prior to the TSB being released. I cleared the code with VCDS and it has never come back. I drive the same route and same speeds, haven't been to the dealer. Just turned 170k miles.