Pop goes the sportwagen

TDI
2014 Volks Sportwagen
I'm a small dealer that specializes in exotic cars, and rare cars. But occasionally I'll buy a family car for myself or other employees. I bought a 2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen with 17,000 miles on it. (third TDI, I can't get enough of these things!)It is in great shape, relatively, I believe it was a turn in from san fran. I bought it at the Las Vegas manheim auction, and has the recall updates done.
Why am I telling you all this?
Well the front end when steering pops when making right and left turns. One distinct pop, not every-time, mostly on less gradual right and left turns. I've read several forum posts, and have found that some suggested the strut bearings, so I have replaced these. While replacing these I inspected the old ones, which looked brand new, I inspected the struts, sway bar links, ball joints and pitman arms, and joints. These all seem like new from the factory. I suspect this car has been sitting for a year in san fran if that means anything to someone. I work mostly on Jeeps and exotics in my dealership so this one has got me stumped. Any thoughts?

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Mk5 & Mk6 suffered from the subframe clunking due to the stretchbolts...stretching. There are a few fixes for it including new bolts, etc from various sources like ECS Tuning or others.
Not sure if your 2014 has the same subframe/steering rack as mine.

I eventually learned to recreated the subframe clunk by braking as I went into a turn, and accelerating as I came out of it. That was usually sufficient shifting of mass to make it happen.
Ecs Tuning has a good video of how to identify if that’s what it is. Can be found on YouTube.

JediJoker

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Mk5 & Mk6 suffered from the subframe clunking due to the stretchbolts...stretching. There are a few fixes for it including new bolts, etc from various sources like ECS Tuning or others.
If that's indeed the issue, this seems like the best-engineered solution on the market:

TYROLSPORT DEADSET RIGID SUBFRAME COLLAR KIT FOR ALL MK5/6,JETTA GLI AND MK2 AUDI TT

With the TyrolSport Deadset kit you can finally eliminate the subframe clunk that plagues every Mk5/Mk6 VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda chassis. The clunk manifests itself as a pop or a creak, especially when turning into sloped driveways, or when stopping/starting. VAG has issued a Technical Service Bulletin(TSB) for this problem. The TSB has your dealership replace the subframe bolts and install new friction shims. This TSB fix does not last long, as it does not address the root cause of the clunk. It is not long before the clunking returns. Tyrolsport has a true solution that works long term, is easy to install, and cost effective.

Tyrolsport has developed custom locating collars to ensure the subframe stays in place and does not shift under load. The collars are machined out of 954 Bronze alloy for the ultimate strength and corrosion resistance. The use of 954 is critical to prevent galvanic corrosion, and also adds needed lubricity. Tyrolsport spent a significant amount of time during R&D process in order to choose the absolute best material for this application. Each collar is machined for a specific location on the subframe, and includes dual-sided machining for a perfect fit. The dual-sided machining is necessary for exactly locating the subframe. The collars also have unique recessed features to positively locate the bolt head. This is critical to functionality.

Once the subframe is located perfectly, it must be held in place. The failure of the OEM stretch bolts is another reason for the clunking subframe, and they must be replaced. Tyrolsport has worked with world-renowned fastener company ARP to develop custom hardware for this application. We were able to develop a TyrolSport exclusive bolt that exceeds the OEM tensile strength, yet mimics the OEM hardware in shear. Some of the proprietary features of these exclusive fasteners are a carefully specified thread engagement area, and a chamfered “bull nose” tip. The bull nose tip helps locate the bolt to the body, and makes the installation process a breeze. Without this bull nose, aligning and installing a subframe deadset kit is much more difficult, and prone to thread stripping. It is the combination of collars and this hardware that makes the Tyrolsport Deadset kit so successful in solving the subframe clunk.

Deadset Kit Benefits

All Tyrolsport Deadset kits are designed to not only eliminate annoying subframe popping and shifting but also isolate the suspension

Notable Benefits:

• Better steering response
  • Tighter turn in
  • Better braking performance
  • Improvement over all road surfaces
  • Better chassis to road feel / Driver feedback
  • Allows for tighter / consistant alignment specs.

The Deadset kit works on the following vehicles and is compatible with any combination of aftermarket control arm bushings currently available, including SuperPro and the WhiteLine Anti-Lift kit.
Disclaimer: no personal experience with the parts, no relation to or relationship with the company.

TDI
2014 Volks Sportwagen
Not sure if your 2014 has the same subframe/steering rack as mine.

I eventually learned to recreated the subframe clunk by braking as I went into a turn, and accelerating as I came out of it. That was usually sufficient shifting of mass to make it happen.
Ecs Tuning has a good video of how to identify if that’s what it is. Can be found on YouTube.
This describes what's going on. I would say CV to except on inspection they look brand new.
Besides being annoyed by the the pop what are the ramifications of just leaving it?
Thanks for your help all!:cool: