Air Bag Replacement

cojoname

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon; 2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagon
I have a 2003 Jetta TDI wagon. After hitting something with my left front tire and feeling a good solid jolt, my driver side air curtain and driver seat airbag both deployed. My seatbelt also locked.

On eBay I found replacement parts. How do I install them?

I've been told that I have to reset a module that controls these new parts. Where is this module?

Please point me in the right direction if you do not have knowledge for this issue. Thank you very much!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Not 100% sure, but use VCDS to disable the air bag circuit, plug in the new stuff, then re-enable it in VCDS, least that's how I did it when I replaced my steering wheel air bag.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
When I swapped steering wheels I just unplugged the old wheel and plugged in the new 3 spoke wheel, for some reason I turned the key on and had to use vcds to clear the airbag code...I didn't know you could disable the airbag ckt with vcds...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

cojoname

TDI
Air bag thanx and new questions

Nero Morg,
Thank you very much for your help!
Since I do not have the fancy tool, I guess I will have to go to a shop.
I will check out the controller, now that I know where it is located. I hope it is one of the new ones that does not have the firmware bug. At least I am forewarned.

Do I have to disable before installing the new air bags? and then enable?

Do I have to disable before installing the seat belt tensioner? and then enable?

Again, thank you very much!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just for the sake of not wanting it to pop in my face while installing, I'd disable, install, then enable.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
^Definitely good advice^ and by the book

I have read the crash detectors often need replaced as well, nice to know that's not always the case.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've read that too, but if you can clear the code for the crash sensor being tripped and stay cleared, they've been OK to reuse in the one car that did have them blow out.

cojoname

TDI
Nero Morg,
I see that you are online. I hope you see this.
My questions are about physically replacing the deployed airbags - side curtain and side seat.
While I am not a mechanic, I have good familiarity with tools and have some common sense. Would I be foolish to attempt replacing these airbags?
If you think I might be able to do it, do you know of a place where I can learn the steps?
Thank you so much!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've been a mechanic for years, and air bags still wig me out. You can go about the air bags in one of two ways. Disable and replace with VCDS, or leave the battery disconnected for at least a day to make sure that all of the igniters have fully drained.

As for the air bags themselves, I've never seen how a curtain air bag comes apart. I do know however the seat bags unplug at the bag themselves, and the bag module is held in with two bolts. You'll have to sew or replace the seat cover though.

For directions, I'd have to refer you to your Bentley or to Ross Tech.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I've been a mechanic for years, and air bags still wig me out. You can go about the air bags in one of two ways. Disable and replace with VCDS, or leave the battery disconnected for at least a day to make sure that all of the igniters have fully drained.

As for the air bags themselves, I've never seen how a curtain air bag comes apart. I do know however the seat bags unplug at the bag themselves, and the bag module is held in with two bolts. You'll have to sew or replace the seat cover though.

For directions, I'd have to refer you to your Bentley or to Ross Tech.
No Nero, we're gonna rely on people with the knowledge, like you. Pretty sure the repair manual says take it to a blah blah blah (not terrible advice).

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Haha well to be fair the only bags I've ever replaced is the steering wheel bag in my wagon. I bought a seat frame over the weekend for a future project of adding power seats to my car, I'll be moving the bags over then. I did have to uninstall the seat bag when I bought it, because I didn't need it.

cojoname

TDI
Nero Mag,
You are great! I think I will try to borrow a VCDS and replace the air bags myself. I'm a little nervous but want to save the $2k.
Thanks, again.
John