2003 Jetta TDI convert from non fog lights to fog lights?

TractionAction

TDI
Had 2010 Jetta
I have a 2003 Jetta TDI that does not have the fog light option. The prior owner installed HID lights with fog lights.

So I bought the light switch with the fog light option (pull to turn on). Still won't work.

After some checking the "NL" socket is missing the wire from the factory. How hard would it be to get a mini connector and run the wire myself? Looks like the fuse etc is connected.

Has anyone done this? If so, please share what you did to get the fog lights to function.

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
Does it pull out 2 notches or just 1? The euro switch does 2, one for from fogs and the second is for the rear fog. Either way I'm sure you can make it work. I'd just make seed the pin you expect is energized before adding the wire t the harness.

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
Mine is the just the single pull....
On mine the 1st pull outwards is the fogs and the second is for the rear fogs which does nothing on my car.
The euroswitch also lets you have the parking lights only as an option assuming you have disabled the DRLs.
Your switch is probably fine though. The fog light symbol icon the switch matches mine for front fogs. (top indicator in the pic below)

Falkor

TDI
I have a 2002 jetta without the just the standard light asembly. The lenses are faded so I figured I woukd replace thethem and upgrade to the built-in Fog & Daytime Running lights.

I bought a new set of headlight lenses for a 2002 jetta off ebay. The auction said some minor rewiring may be needed. I when I hook them.up I have no foglights or seperate daytime.running lights and no headlight on the right. Additionally I have no turn signals. I have replaced the switch so that I have the switch with front & rear foglights. So either I got a defective set, or there is more to do. Does the carr need to be running? Or just have the key on?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
It might be easier if you started a new thread for your issue, being as this one is six years old.

To sum up your issue, the only added wiring you have to do for those headlights is the signal line for the fog lamps. Everything else should be plug and play. Your headlights and blinkers won't work if your key is not in the on position. Turning the lights on with key off only illuminates the running lights.

Falkor

TDI
It might be easier if you started a new thread for your issue, being as this one is six years old.

To sum up your issue, the only added wiring you have to do for those headlights is the signal line for the fog lamps. Everything else should be plug and play. Your headlights and blinkers won't work if your key is not in the on position. Turning the lights on with key off only illuminates the running lights.

Cool… what I get is a fast blink. I will contact the vendor of the lights for more assistance as there may be an issue with a defective set.