Balance shaft delete. How to and part numbers

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
My $.02 worth. Just finished my GLX Gasser to TDI AND manual tranny conversion with the BSM delete so I have a ton of variables I am trying to decipher. It starts and runs fine. Vibrations are no more than BSM at idle. Revs quicker than with a BSM. So far the jury is out for my opinion, as I am getting used to it with more vibrations above 2500 RPM as I wind out the gears. As most of the highway cruise stays below 2500 RPM, this may or may not be a real issue. If I were to describe it, it feels like it has hard (or race) motor mounts. It will not be mistaken for a Lexus anytime soon!
On my tacoma with the BSM delete (BHW block) I mainly notice vibration @ idle and under load when under 2k rpm....above 2k it's smooth as silk....just over 20k miles since march 11' with no issues :)....wondering if you have another issue?

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
Toronto ON to Naples FL

Heading down to Florida on the weekend, haven't driven my Passat much lately because of transmission issues.
Little nervous about my BSM failing along the way. It's not making any noise now, but from the forum it seems it can start up anytime.
Taking I-75 all the way, hope I'm close enough to Whitbread's shop if I break down :). Maybe I should stop by for a BSM delete anyway.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
seems the vw supply pipeline is fresh out of the bsm modules so not so easy to get it converted unless you go for the less expensive delete option.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
On my tacoma with the BSM delete (BHW block) I mainly notice vibration @ idle and under load when under 2k rpm....above 2k it's smooth as silk....just over 20k miles since march 11' with no issues :)....wondering if you have another issue?
We are both comparing apples to oranges ;) (as opposed to stock) as your application is way different and mine has the manual transmission variable.

However I found the major source of vibration. Since this was going to be my car and I wanted to try a cheaper alternative for the motor mount (for future reference), I used some from a 1.8t. They must be harder or have no fluid in the ones I bought. I swapped them out with some good used TDI specific mounts and most all the vibration went away.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Just put 30 miles on an automatic B5.5 TDI after deleting the BSM. I can tell an ever so slight increase in vibration but nothing at all objectionable. I think you would be hard pressed to tell any significant difference. To me the peace of mind far outweighs any negatives.

stillchained

TDI
2004 Passat
BS delete is perfect

Just put 30 miles on an automatic B5.5 TDI after deleting the BSM. I can tell an ever so slight increase in vibration but nothing at all objectionable. I think you would be hard pressed to tell any significant difference. To me the peace of mind far outweighs any negatives.
Jeff is talking about my Passat! I just drove it home last night (3 hrs) and there is NO difference in vibration. Let me repeat, NO difference. He discovered that I had a bad motor mount and replaced that as well. The car drives like a dream and there is such piece of mind that comes with this. The only way I can actually discern that the BSM is gone is the absence of chain noise at idle. It just purrs like a diesel should! Kudos to Jeff for also fixing my leaky rear passenger door and a broken center dash vent.
The BS delete is a no-brainer folks, do it!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We've been waiting on parts to do one for nearly a month now. I've given up trying to get geared parts, those seem to be no longer available forever. Sad, because those are the same parts all the CBEA engines have in them, too.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I guess I installed the last geared BSM for a customer Saturday :rolleyes:

Brian, you're right, I am fearing the day we need more CBEA BSM parts....:eek:

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat TDI Variant - United Grey
Is there any chance that the BSM upgrade parts are still available, but are being gobbled up by the dealerships? As some of you know, I just had the BSM upgrade done at a dealership, and they had to order the parts from Germany, which took a couple of weeks, but they did arrive, and the repair was done. Just a thought. The question is whether they are hoarding them or whether they will make them available to the public through the parts department.

As for the delete, looking at this video (delete done), there seems to be less vibration than an upgrade of the BSM. I noticed that the top coolant hose does not have the sway and reverberation that most, if not all, other cars seem to have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8whjCe1sMQ

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Very few dealers even know about this or see any of the Passat TDI's. They are not carrying a $1200 part that may or may not be sold. I don't think hoarding is an issue.

gotsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
`04 passat tdi
B/S kit

I am hoping to get my newly acquired B/S kit installed this coming week by VWZTIPS. took a shot in the dark and contacted a dealer and low and behold he had a it in stock.sitting on my bench.!happy days are here again.:D i just might know where there is another!

Last edited:

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
Very few dealers even know about this or see any of the Passat TDI's. They are not carrying a $1200 part that may or may not be sold. I don't think hoarding is an issue.
They are fairly in tune with the BSM issue in Canada, and they obviously have access to the parts, seeing as how they got them for my car. Someone is getting the parts, and from the comments in this thread, it is not the private mechanic. My module arrived from Germany in a shipment of 19 units headed to VW Canada. Supply is limited, but not extinct....at least not to the dealerships. I suspect that little or no product is making it to the secondary market, but that there still might be chance to get the parts from the dealerships.

Last edited:

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
I am hoping to get my newly acquired B/S kit installed this coming week by VWZTIPS. took a shot in the dark and contacted a dealer and low and behold he had a it in stock.sitting on my bench.!happy days are here again.:D i just might know where there is another!
I rest my case.

oilhammer

TDI
I've not been able to get any at all. Got the gears, bolts, etc. but no actual module. Used to get them regularly from my local dealer. :confused:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Same here but they are telling me indefinite back order. My two local dealers have never replaced one. Again, you can get lucky, but most dealers are not going to stock such an expensive part for the relatively small chance to sell one. They are under pressure to keep their stock $ low.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Wonder how much longer the sb with geared bsm will be available. Perhaps that may be the last resort beginning soon, other than deleting.

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
I've not been able to get any at all. Got the gears, bolts, etc. but no actual module. Used to get them regularly from my local dealer. :confused:
That's unfortunate. I wonder if the supply has remained constant, but the demand has increased, as these cars age and word about the BSM gets out? If that is the case, maybe we'll see parts available again once demand has peaked and starts to drop off. My thinking is that the allotment to North America has remained a fraction of overall worldwide supply, but that the parts are still being churned out in Germany.....albeit slowly.

Last edited:

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I was one of the early ones: I bought a geared BSM from World Impex 3-1/2 years ago and had it swapped out by Fast Enough Performance in Lexington KY. My B5.5V TDI has run perfectly for 65,000 more miles since then. Based on what I have seen accomplished with BS delete in this thread, I would for sure go that route if I were doing one now, and spend $1000 less in the bargain.

oilhammer

TDI
Well, good news. The BRM bits for the delete we've been waiting for finally arrived, and the 3 red order BSM modules we've been waiting for were shipped from Germany today! :)

frosterrj

TDI
2005 Passat Silver/Black; 2013 TDI SportWagen 6M White/Black
wow....so that means red orders are working???

OH, how long was the order-to-ship time?

Well, good news. The BRM bits for the delete we've been waiting for finally arrived, and the 3 red order BSM modules we've been waiting for were shipped from Germany today! :)

oilhammer

TDI
No, Red Orders were not working before. I have had 3 on order for several months now. They are being shipped from Germany today, I should have them in my hands by the end of this week. Still waiting toi confirm, but looks like regular stock (in North American warehouses) is still not happening.

So I don't know what the deal is, was, or will be. The 3 I have had on order of course are already spoken for. We will be ordering 3 more shortly.

frosterrj

TDI
2005 Passat Silver/Black; 2013 TDI SportWagen 6M White/Black
thanks...I have not placed one with the dealership because I had little faith, that after taking my non-refundable $1700, I would never see anything, leaving my only option to be a charge back with the credit card. Seemed like a lose-lose all the way around...

Please keep us updated on actuals...

thanks

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Odd - I have 30 on order, 10 red (with VIN's). Lemme know if yours arrive OH. Im anxiously awaiting more!
Cheers!
-BB

05Pass

TDI
2005 Passat Tdi
Bsm Upgrade

I posted an Upgrde kit minus a few bolts for sale in the classifeds. Just trying to get my money back out of it. I am now buying a new engine due to damage from the chain breaking.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I posted an Upgrde kit minus a few bolts for sale in the classifeds. Just trying to get my money back out of it. I am now buying a new engine due to damage from the chain breaking.
Make sure that new engine doesn't have a chain....

oilhammer

TDI
OK, I got in my hand 2 of the 3 kits I had on order. Not sure yet what happened to the 3rd, they were all supposed to be shipped from Germany on the 30th of July.

These 2 are already slated for cars scheduled, and I will be scheduling the 3rd as soon as it arrives.... and we have 5 more on our list waiting. :mad:

This is crazy.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Is the engine you are buying "new" new? As in VW short block; because if you're installing a used engine you will still need your BSM kit.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the short block isn't a bad deal, 05pass. hope thats what you're doing

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
Wow, everytime you think you have worked all the gremlins out this engine, another one appears.
I put in a chainless BSM 80,000 miles ago, it has been running fine since.
Now I am beginning to wonder. How many factual cases of hex wear have there been with the chainless/geared version ? and at how many miles ?

I happen to have the whole engine out this week for my 6 speed swap, wondering if I should be pulling the pan too ?!