VAG 305 versus OBD-II versus VAG-COM

dmodderman

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
Hello,

I am researching options for code scanners for my recent TDI purchase (2006 Jetta Wagon, A4). So far I have come across a few options but have not found a good side-by-side comparison on these forums. Please correct me if I'm wrong or if there are other options available, but here is my list so far:

1. VAG-COM at Ross-Tech - includes software and adaptor to use my existing computer to interact with the car (seems to be considered the best option). Requires a Bentley Repair Manual to interpret codes.

2. OBD-II scanner - may not be that useful as may only interpret certain codes primarily related to emissions controls. I assume the Bentley Repair manual would cover codes for this (?)

3. VAG 305 scanner I came across on ebay. My primary question is how this option compares with the two above options. I assume the Bentley Repair manual would cover codes for this (?)

I'm not sure that I would really utilize the capabilities of the VAG-COM and therefore it may not be worth spending that much for me. What is the second best option to VAG-COM that I should be considering? VAG 305? OBD-II? Other?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Vag-Com (now called VCDS) does most of the error interpreting for you, but that Bentley manual is still a good idea.

OBDII scanner will only show you generic OBDII codes, not all of the specific VW codes. Not nearly as useful.

VAG 305 - I really do not know the capabilities of this one - someone else with more knowledge is bound to chime in with more info. Sorry.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with VCDS. It can do things that even VW's best scanners can't do. I think that every VW owner should own it, or at least have a good friend who does.

Have Fun!

Don

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
VAG305:
Reads and erases Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) of engine, ABS, airbags and automatic transmission
Can't modify EGR duty cycle, can't graph injection timing, can change door lock programs, can't change......

Get the VCDS once rather than buy the VAG305 and THEN buy the VCDS anyway.

diesel?

TDI
96 passat smog exempt!, 2010 golf(wife's car)
I am also wondering about the same thing, I have a 96 passat and an 03 jetta both tdis, and was wondering if I need the vcds, I am new to tdi's and love them (53 mpg!). Is it necessary for tuning the car after a timing belt change because after reading things on here they say that it is necessary I have never heard of something like that before, all my work has been on gasoline engines so have never done anything but line up marks or lock cams and stop the crank with a pin which is similar to the tools I got for the tdi job. I haven't done the timing belt job yet on the jetta and have been having a hard starting problem on the passat since I got it, the belt had just been changed before I bought it and was wondering if that vcds is necessary to fine tune the timing so it will be right on and start right up or is it too old for the vcds?

long and confusing post can be summarized I suppose and if anybody knows the answer please let me know

1. is vag com/vcds necessary for tuning when doing a timing belt change or is it just a luxury since I have the lock plate and pin for the pump and is that enough

2. will vag com work on a 96 passat, can it help me get timing better to help my hard start problem

Lug_Nut

TDI
Necessary?
'96, with 1z/AHU no. The injection pump will be in the exact same (maybe ideal, but maybe not) position as before the belt change. The pump shaft and sprocket are keyed and can't shift.
'03, with ALH no, but strongly recommended. The ALH pump shaft and sprocket are not keyed and these are likely to shift during the belt replacement.
Neither absolutely must have the VCDS to run after a timing belt change. I mean the Passat does run doesn't it?
Both can benefit from having VCDS to set injection timing to ideal conditions.

If you're happy with merely "running", then no VCDS is needed. If you want them to run as best as they can, then yes.

diesel?

TDI
96 passat smog exempt!, 2010 golf(wife's car)
thanks for the quick reply, passat runs really good except for starting it, got a 53.2mpg average on one 700mile leg and over 50 for the other legs, so cal to montana and back, it cranks a long time before firing and I get some smoke which never happens on the jetta and glow plug system is working well so It made me wonder.

sounds like I'll need the vcds as I am committed to making the switch to all tdi all the time and it would be indispensable to have a tool like this if I'm going to do all the repairs like I am planning to, thanks for the advice.

the next question is which one to get? I see chinese cables on ebay and they say download the software, it'll work fine, can you trust that, or is ross tech the only way to go? there are a couple of other units available too but I have no way of knowing what works or not, all so confusing, the ross tech seems like the only one that has any customer service and support. any experiences with non ross tech brands would be welcome

Lug_Nut

TDI
Download the software from whom?
Ross-Tech have a means of using their cables to fully open their software for complete functionality. The aftermarket cables don't have this capacity. Without this license chip in the cable (or however R-T do it) the Ross-Tech software is limited to basic information, not the full featured access a valid Ross-Tech cable will allow. Might as well buy the VAG 305....