Car Care...Cleaning, Waxing

TDINooby

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG
Hey All:

Just want to know what kind (name brand) of wax you are using?
Is there a best one?
Do you use Tire Coatings? if so which one?

Just trying to do it right the first time? :confused:

Thank you for info

TDINooby

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
How much are you willing to spend on products and equipment? How much time are you going to dedicate on a monthly basis?

Welcome aboard!

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I like Mothers or Meguiars waxes, preferably the paste or liquid (not spray on). They remove easily with a towel to give a nice shine and last quite long.

I like ArmorAll for tires and door seal rubbers. For other plastic, synthetic rubber and leatherette (stuff in the interior), I now use Tonno Tonic sold by Extang (on their web site). It's not as greasy as ArmorAll and doesn't turn stuff green if not reapplied in a while. I've noticed the new ArmorAll containers advertise it as "less greasy" or something along those lines. I've actually had ArmorAll fix cracks in rubber seals.

For carpet, I like TufStuff. It's not real heavy duty but works on medium soiled carpets.

pricha00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI
If you want boutique products try autogeek.com. great forums and products you won't find in your local store. I would stay away from armor-all, I believe it is still silicone based, works well but can dry out materials over time, and any body man will hate you since any microscopic silicone left on a surface will ruin any respray.

Pat.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Turtle wax ICE clay bar kit
Turtle wax ICE wax kit
Turtle wax ICE detailing spray for exterior
Armorall Classic for interior vinyl
Meguires Tire shine and Amonia-less window cleaner
Meguires "natural shine" spray for engine detailing

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Zaino & P21S, maybe followed by Klasse...if you want the "best." Everything mentioned thus far that's available from chain auto stores is good too. Meguires & Mothers come to mind and are readily available.

pricha00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI
You may want to consider a sealant instead of a wax..last longer and you can wax on top for extra shine and protection if you want.

Pat.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
For the last few years I have been using sealants exclusively. They're not bad for the paint, and unless you have time to detail your car every few weeks, the best sealants protect your paint for 6 months.

I have been very impressed with Zaino Z-2 Pro; I layer it. Zaino also makes a fantastic car soap for regular washing. The first layer of Z2 is annoying to put on, then it goes on great. 4 coats is literally good for 6 months. I detail my car twice a year; spring and fall.

So I'd say if you want a great set of products, buy:
a) Zaino Z2 Pro with the ZFX enhancer
b) Zaino clay bar (use Meguiers quick detailer for the lubrication)
c) Zaino Z7
and follow the very detailed application instructions that can be found on their site.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
I use Mother's clay followed by Meguire's deep crystal paint cleaner, Meguire's #26 paint polish and Zymol for the wax. All of it is applied with a Porter-Cable variable speed random orbit polisher and removed with clean towels. I don't use tire dressing, I like the look of clean un-goo'ed tires. If I was showing the car or doing competitions, I'd skip the Zymol, as it dulls the reflection a bit, and just apply a layer of Pledge furniture polish. For the interior I use a wet chamois and, if needed, Pledge there too. Oh, and BTW, I do wax my rims as well. Makes them easier to clean afterwards.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Hey All:

Just want to know what kind (name brand) of wax you are using?
Is there a best one?
Do you use Tire Coatings? if so which one?

Just trying to do it right the first time? :confused:

Thank you for info

TDINooby
To answer your questions directly (not in context)

1. Zaino Sealant/"polish" Z-1,Z-2,Z-5, Z-6, etc
2. Yes, there are literally ARRAYS of "best ones"
3. Yes I do use Meguair's #40, so called water based, which I got in a gal container.

I would say you really need to define your needs, wants and then goals !!!??? The subject and various levels and specific products literally suffer from massive hype and SOOOOO much choice, it can be literally TMI (too much information), that it can and will literally make your head spin. The other thing is you can literally spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars and not be any better off.

So the context in which I use (item, #1) Zaino products (and a tire dressing product item#3) is one Jetta sits outside almost 24/7 (disadvantage from the get go, best is garage parking). So I like the most sparkling, undamaged finish (no spider tracks (this is WAY harder to achieve than it sounds in print) with the LONGEST protection (up to 6 months on HORIZONTAL finishes), consistent with the least washing and waxing. Bang for the buck is another.

I try to do some schedule intervals with tire/rubber/vinyl dressing on ALL exposed rubber, silicon parts as the sun can be very intense in this area and for many months.

I am sure any and all of us can get into the nuts and bolts if that would be of interest.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Something to ponder here::rolleyes:

The only "paint" your are dealing with on a modern car is the top coat, which is actually a urethane resin, two part mix (resin/hardener). This is typically applied in three caost after the color is sprayed and allowed to flash dry. The actual color coat is under the very hard, and durable urethane clear coat.

The products best suited for preserving the color pigment have to do with UV protection. Use a product on your clear coat that has that feature.

Shine up the clear coat!;)

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
In the pondering vein, it is really amazing that "paint" is only the thickness (meaured in mils) of a paper grocery bag. !!!

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Turtle Wax Ice seems to last longer than any other liquid wax I have ever tried. I found it at WalMart, and they were out of my preferred Eagle One, but again this other stuff may be a blessing in disguise. I also use it on the interior, but sparingly as well as the wheels and rubber tires. I never cared for the tire dressing because it collects too much dust and dirt and does not wash off easily when you get it on your jeans when leaning over the engine.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How long would that be and under what conditions?

Ranger Rod

TDI
2010 Jetta
The best I've ever used is Duragloss. I usually start out with a clay bar and follow with polish bonding agent and then Aquawax. Duragloss is the most durable I've ever seen and adds depth to the paint. I had my OTV at the dealers once and even though it had been a couple of months since waxing, he was commenting that he leaned on the fender and almost slid off. He was impressed. I don't think you can go wrong with Duragloss.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
...and thanks to our commercial sponsor!

The best I've ever used is Duragloss. I usually start out with a clay bar and follow with polish bonding agent and then Aquawax. Duragloss is the most durable I've ever seen and adds depth to the paint. I had my OTV at the dealers once and even though it had been a couple of months since waxing, he was commenting that he leaned on the fender and almost slid off. He was impressed. I don't think you can go wrong with Duragloss.
>>>>>

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
I never cared for the tire dressing because it collects too much dust and dirt and does not wash off easily when you get it on your jeans when leaning over the engine.
This isn't true IF you use a water-based product. Although I've been a true Zaino fan for nearly 10 years, I don't use their tire dressing. I use Tropi-Care TC-15 "White Silk" Tire/Trim Dressing. It's great stuff. I use it on the hard plastic below the windshield wipers and on the black strip below the paint on the bumpers (A4). It seems to last a lot longer than any other dressing I've ever used... including Zaino. So I use Zaino exculsively for the paint & leather and Tropi-Care for the tires, door seals & plastic trim.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Maybe my eyes are bad, but the more I wax clear coat, it still looks like clear coat.....:rolleyes:

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
I dont use 'wax' any more, cause very few have UV protectent, I use a liquid polymer UV stabilazation sealant...

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
I dont use 'wax' any more, cause very few have UV protectent, I use a liquid polymer UV stabilazation sealant...
1. Which one do you use? :)

2. For all the Zaino users. Do their products leave the annoying waxy white residue on black trim?

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
Lex4TDI4Life;3088966 2. For all the Zaino users. Do their products leave the annoying waxy white residue on black trim?[/QUOTE said:
No, as Zaino isn't wax. I actually PUT it on the black trim around the windows & sunroof.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Sweet. As I am intellectually lazy with this kind of thing, I just bought a whole package dealie from Zaino.

Ranger Rod

TDI
2010 Jetta
I have no connection with Duragloss except that I like their products. I have used their products for years and have been very satisfied. The OP asked what we were using and I told him.