VW Canada Settlement - $2.1 Billion

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
I dropped mine off on Monday. They expect the wheels on it to be VW wheels. I put my crappiest set of winters on it. They ask you to start it, drive backwards, drive forward.
They check the mileage.
Sign a couple papers then hand you the cheque.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
What are these "phases" that you are talking about?
If you have a 2015 VW TDI Phase 1 is a software update, about 1 hour.
Then in 2018 Phase 2 is a complete reworking of the exhaust system, about or up to 9 hours work.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When you call the Claims settlement number it tells you that the cheque will be mailed 2 weeks after the Phase 1 software fix.

I just spent 30 minutes on the phone and all they could tell me that the 1st rebate cheque was approved on July 13. I had Phase 1 done on June 19th.

wackypete

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Golf
I dropped mine off on Monday. They expect the wheels on it to be VW wheels. I put my crappiest set of winters on it. They ask you to start it, drive backwards, drive forward.
They check the mileage.
Sign a couple papers then hand you the cheque.
So Volkswagen won't take my car with the winter steelies on it?

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
I guess i'm playing the wait game now too, been putting it off, but finally got confirmation my Diesel Chevy ZR2 will be in, in a couple weeks, so I figured i'd finish the claim process, been sitting with Green checkmarks for almost a week, but I'll be patient

looking forward to getting in a Diesel truck that VW helped me pay for, especially since i can't get an Amarok

lehmte

TDI
2011 Golf
Bosch Settlement

Does anyone have any information about a Bosch Settlement similar to the one given to US TDI Owners. I have turned in my TDI but they do not have any idea about a Bosch issue. The "Supervisor" I spoke to says my inquiry was the first she heard of it. The US TDI Settlement group also says they know nothing about a Canadian Bosch Settlement, which makes sense. Anyone know more ?

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Thank you Volkswagen; its been an enjoyable nearly four-year relationship. My first VW and my first diesel. The process other than the online/internet glitches was seamless.

The administrator said that my car was the lowest mileage 2013 Jetta TDI he had seen and also the cleanest, as in absolutely mint, inside and out. :) I hope it does not go to the crusher and that someone somewhere will get it.

CDN_TDi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDi (sold) | 2011 GSW TDi (turned in)
Thank you Volkswagen; its been an enjoyable nearly four-year relationship. My first VW and my first diesel. The process other than the online/internet glitches was seamless.

The administrator said that my car was the lowest mileage 2013 Jetta TDI he had seen and also the cleanest, as in absolutely mint, inside and out. :) I hope it does not go to the crusher and that someone somewhere will get it.
Curious - would you consider diesel again? If you don't mind sharing... your replacement vehicle? I'm already missing my TDI. Thanks in advance,

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Curious - would you consider diesel again?
I would provided the manufacturer can keep systems simple. I didn't do my homework as I usually do and I was surprised at the complexity of my 2013 Jetta TDI. I've worked on everything from chainsaws to aircraft, so I know my way around a bit.

If you don't mind sharing... your replacement vehicle?
A new 2017 Acura RDX Elite. My first V6 and my first automatic. I could not be happier and it gets better gas mileage than my old Honda CR-V with a 2.0 liter 5-speed.

As huge as the trunk was on my Jetta for suitcases and bags, I could not put a large box into it as I could in my 1999 Honda CR-V and I missed that. I considered a Golf Sport Wagon 1.8T as a replacement.

I test drove a Porsche Macan, BMW 328d Touring, BMW X3 and Infinity Q50. The first three were turbo-fours and I really did not want a turbo unless it is in a diesel or a Porsche 911. The Infinity Q50 did not impress me.

Last edited:

CDN_TDi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDi (sold) | 2011 GSW TDi (turned in)
I would provided the manufacturer can keep systems simple. I didn't do my homework as I usually do and I was surprised at the complexity of my 2013 Jetta TDI. I've worked on everything from chainsaws to aircraft, so I know my way around a bit.
A new 2017 Acura RDX Elite. My first V6 and my first automatic. I could not be happier and it gets better gas mileage than my old Honda CR-V with a 2.0 liter 5-speed.
As huge as the trunk was on my Jetta for suitcases and bags, I could not put a large box into it as I could in my 1999 Honda CR-V and I missed that. I considered a Golf Sport Wagon 1.8T as a replacement.
I test drove a Porsche Macan, BMW 328d Touring, BMW X3 and Infinity Q50. The first three were turbo-fours and I really did not want a turbo unless it is in a diesel or a Porsche 911. The Infinity Q50 did not impress me.
Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the RDX, great to hear you're enjoying the ride. Cheers,

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I for one have no idea why people want to get away from their TDI's !

I'll be driving my 2015 Passat TDI until either the car or I drop dead. Just returned from a 2,500km round trip around Ontario and my mileage was about 52Mpg or 5.4 Lh which is as good as my smaller lighter 2002 Jetta TDI automatic was.

This week I received my Phase 1 cheque from the claims center. Next year after the exhaust system work another cheque.

BTW: Apparently Mercedes Benz is also getting caught with a Diesel emissions problem similar to VW.

jedispey

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagon 6MT TDI

I'll be driving my 2015 Passat TDI until either the car or I drop dead.
I here ya JP, amazing millage, tons of torque and now cash in my pocket and an extended warranty (fuel and exhaust systems) to 230,000KM and I already had an extended warranty on the rest of the car to 200,000KM. My TDI Wagon is also being used until it dies...hopefully a long time from now. It's also a sweet ride to boot!

Dealers had absolutely no problem getting rid of 2015 and 2016 TDI's they had on their lots...they got snapped up super fast once they were allowed sell them.

Everyone has different needs...mine is TDI powered!

Rytheman

TDI
2013 Jetta stage 2 Malone Tune, 2002 Jetta
Hey everyone been searching in the forums for a while and can't seem to find an awnser so I geuss I'll post it.

1) what is the damages payment covering? Depreciation? Loss in mileage with the fix? Pain and suffering of having to deal with this?

2) so if you bought the car used you and the original owner split the damages payment? What if the previous owner doesn't apply for their money does VW keep that money and laugh all the way to the bank?

Thanks!

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey everyone been searching in the forums for a while and can't seem to find an awnser so I geuss I'll post it.

1) what is the damages payment covering? Depreciation? Loss in mileage with the fix? Pain and suffering of having to deal with this?

2) so if you bought the car used you and the original owner split the damages payment? What if the previous owner doesn't apply for their money does VW keep that money and laugh all the way to the bank?
Thanks!
Go into the claims portal website and enter your VIN number, you'll find out what's what.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Well my particular TDI needed some money to get it back to where I wanted it. My front bumper was cracked, and a rocker panel dented in. That always annoyed me. My summer and winter tires were done, and my rims weren't perfect anymore either. So basically I needed to spend around $3K to get it back to where I wanted it. Then I was also needing something bigger. Car seat in the back is a PITA. Now I have a highlander, and I don't have to bend over to put the kid in, and I don't have to worry about hitting his head when I pull him out (he's in the 95th percentile for length at six months, so I always had to be careful if he tried to launch himself from his seat as I was lifting him). So just that makes it so much more enjoyable.

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
Anybody waiting till the fall for a diesel equinox or mazda diesel? - I am

Last edited: