front sway bar upgrade?

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
Hello,
Some parts on my front sway bar need to be replaced. I was wondering if it was worth upgrading the sway bar as well as the other components on it if I needed to get some parts replaced? If so where should I get them from? Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Sincerely,

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
Hey,
So I ended up (finding out the hard way) getting the endlinks and bushings installed, but found out the car had a 23mm sway bar, and not the 21mm sway bar that I thought it had. Great for handling but bad if a mechanic has the car on a lift only to find out you had to run to get the right part. Europaparts.com is awesome as they had the parts for me, and were able to do an even swap for them. Live and learn. Is 23mm the standard on sway bar these cars or the 21mm sway bar? Thanks!

Sincerely,

carbonbl

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon
They came with either 21 or 23 mm, depending on the year.
You might get more responses about sway bar upgrades by posting here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

My opinion, is that if you are going to modify the suspension setup in a car, you need to have a specific goal and understanding of the compromises needed to reach that goal. "I want better handling" is not an informed reason to begin swapping in new parts. Not saying that's your viewpoint, but it seems to be the attitude of a lot of people who ask about suspension upgrades on car forums. Take it or leave it.

Fullhouse

TDI
Golf 4 ARL
True, depending on the year..
I had a 21 mm swaybar and I replaced with the 23 mm..
You could feel that the car was better at handling the corners..
Now I'm gonna replace the swaybar with a 25 mm Eibach swaybar.