KMH to MPH

Capo-GTI

Vendor
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Does anybody know how to get the digital display to show MPH instead of KMH? Is there a VAG-COM option somewhere?

Norm0770

TDI
None anymore
To show km/h on my car I have to select "Alt speed dis." checked in the settings. It is near the bottom. It will be small in the area where the temperature is currently.

I can put a link to some pics too, if you need them.

OldManWinter

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2010
In your MFD options choose your units to be Miles instead of KM. Or like Norm said, just choose Alt speed dis and it'll replace your temperature line with MPH.

Capo-GTI

Vendor
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Yes I selected the alt display but here in the U.S. it displays KMH. Wondering if there is a way to trick it using VAG-COM to display MPH.

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Blue Silk Golf TDI SEL
My take on it is that the Alt. speed display is for Km/h only because you can select to have the MPH showing under the MFI info along with current mpg etc.

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Blue Silk Golf TDI SEL
hows that? I can't get it to display
Make sure the Alt speed display is off. Then, go to settings, select MFI data, scroll down and select "digit speed" so that there is a check mark next to it. Then while you are driving, scroll to the MFI data screen where you can see the current MPG, average mpg etc, and has you scroll through those options, your digital speed will show up. It will be bigger than the little spot where the temperature is. Let me know if you see it, if not, I'll take pics in the morning on my drive to work.

wa7bqb

TDI
2012 JSW TDI
The digital display in MPH is not the same as the display km/h display the OP is talking about. I asked the same question recently. In the meantime I have read through the entire VCDS manual. There is no known way to change the little display units with VCDS, unfortunately.

slvr32

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
BTW, this km/h vs mi/h issue might also be related to the side-effects of changing the country code to EN_GB (or UK?) with VCDS to disable the open door chime.

I noticed that I lost my digital speedo, and that the smaller km/h readout was all I was getting... *and* you even lose some of the US menu options like the 'alt speed disp' and 'digit speed' when you recode to EN_GB/UK.

I decided to change my country code back to US after I noticed the other side effects, and I'm not thrilled about the return of the open door chime, but I do like the larger digital speedo in the MFI, and the return of the 'alt speed disp' menu option, in case you want to show km/h vs mi/h, via the settings in the MFI menus.

Last edited: