VW Canada Settlement - $2.1 Billion

Hwy_Demon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
If I understand some class action info online correctly, we can also claim accessories purchased for our cars like a trailer hitch, summer wheels, and tint ?
Also, I see conflicting information about the appraisal process... I thought the appraisal for us 2015 owners was based on the mileage at the time we brought in our credit cards to get activated and they documented the km's.. ?
I have 74k on my 2015 already so, I hope Im not penalized for all the kms

does that include exhausts and tunes? lol

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Has anyone fully completed the online submission process?
Does anyone have any news to share as to the expected time frame to completion and receiving thier funds?

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
I was in the stealership today and their tool appraised my 2015 tdi highline at $21,500 based on 74,000km. So, they do factor km into the appraisal of sept 2015.
He confirmed we just provide digital snaps of receipts for any accessories we bought. Those are entered into the claims website. I forgot to inquire about any extra warranty purchases but I will ask.
I drove a wrx today for fun... and a golf gti - not sure what Im gonna get atm... I don't drive for work anymore so, my options are open...
Lastly, he said he should know next week or so what incentives are going to be offered for TDI owners who wish to stay loyal and buy something else...
Im wondering if I sell privately vs to the dealer, will that affect any incentives... They have absolutely sold out of any 2015 tdi's

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
For anyone who might be interested:

RicePoint Administration Inc.
1480 Richmond Street, Suite 204
London, Ontario, Canada
N6G 0J4
Email: support@ricepoint.com
Class Member Inquiries:
Toll Free: 1 (866) 432-5534

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
I was in the stealership today and their tool appraised my 2015 tdi highline at $21,500 based on 74,000km. So, they do factor km into the appraisal of sept 2015.
He confirmed we just provide digital snaps of receipts for any accessories we bought. Those are entered into the claims website. I forgot to inquire about any extra warranty purchases but I will ask.
I drove a wrx today for fun... and a golf gti - not sure what Im gonna get atm... I don't drive for work anymore so, my options are open...
Lastly, he said he should know next week or so what incentives are going to be offered for TDI owners who wish to stay loyal and buy something else...
Im wondering if I sell privately vs to the dealer, will that affect any incentives... They have absolutely sold out of any 2015 tdi's
Have you been through the claims process? I didn't see anywhere to upload info regarding additional upgrades.

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
Update - my guy at Dixie vw said today -"you can claim the extra warranty and get it back"

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
Wondering if any of you tested this...

I was filling out the vw compensation info and found that the value they estimated for the car did not change from may to november of this year. This is good news if it's true since the new models come out late fall.

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
My 2014 came up at just over 20Gs, planning to return it. Its got a few dings and stuffs, not far off needing a new timing belt, due for an oil change, chip in the windshield

A little worried how nit picky they are going to be.

I know it's a little early in the game but anyone have any experiences to share yet?

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
I just read the approval order and its amendments, and there is nothing about extended warranties or accessories

g-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Execline
My 2014 came up at just over 20Gs, planning to return it. Its got a few dings and stuffs, not far off needing a new timing belt, due for an oil change, chip in the windshield

A little worried how nit picky they are going to be.

I know it's a little early in the game but anyone have any experiences to share yet?

My dealer says as long as it's complete and gets on their lot under its own power.

MEIN_VW

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI wagon highline
I spoke to a friend yesterday who is a VW sales person and was told that VW Canada isn't offering any discounts or incentives for diesel owners. Just the $1000.00 Loyalty discount.

I have to say that is extremely disappointing. I would expect them to bend over backwards to retain my business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
I spoke to a friend yesterday who is a VW sales person and was told that VW Canada isn't offering any discounts or incentives for diesel owners. Just the $1000.00 Loyalty discount.

I have to say that is extremely disappointing. I would expect them to bend over backwards to retain my business.

Have to agree with you on being totally disappointed with this kind of nonsensical thinking. My math estimates perhaps an additional $1M in cost for Canadian owners......something that would keep us happier, and taking it away seems a cheap move.

I understand the .5% interest rate reduction will be offered as a loyalty discount. I was also told by my dealer that no one in Canada had received an offer as of last Friday, but the offers will begin to flow through this week, so keep checking the settlement portal for your update.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
My dealer says as long as it's complete and gets on their lot under its own power.
Yes, under its own power, no obvious rip off attempts. My dealer told me not to do anything to improve the car, just bring it in 'as is.'

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
I just read the approval order and its amendments, and there is nothing about extended warranties or accessories
The approval order still contains sections written prior to the final judgement, so I wouldn't place final say on it just yet.

I'm getting the feeling there could be a major dust storm on the horizon if owners sniff a raw deal when the offers start coming out. There's nothing like the final terms to pull out all the hidden emotions lurking around this deal!

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
I did not see anywhere either... but Im told we CAN claim it.. gotta find out how.
If the accessory/upgrade is on the bill of sale it has a better chance of passing muster. This will be a sticking point for those owners with significant additional investment, I expect. I'm wondering what the dealerships may throw into the mix to sweeten the pot as well. I know they've incurred significant unexpected costs in addition to the major loss in sales over the past couple of years. Certainly they'll be feeling some relief that the process is finally underway, and hopefully are willing to spread it around with new car buyers. That said, significant additional margin (especially salesperson commissions) is often generated through upselling on accessories, warranties etc.

Receiving CBB mileage adjusted value to me seems fair, yet not so much for owners whose car is in mint condition.

Last edited:

MEIN_VW

Veteran Member
TDI

Have to agree with you on being totally disappointed with this kind of nonsensical thinking. My math estimates perhaps an additional $1M in cost for Canadian owners......something that would keep us happier, and taking it away seems a cheap move.

I understand the .5% interest rate reduction will be offered as a loyalty discount. I was also told by my dealer that no one in Canada had received an offer as of last Friday, but the offers will begin to flow through this week, so keep checking the settlement portal for your update.

The thing is, even with the 0.5% reduction, VW's interest rate is still high. Especially when there are 0% offers out there. And the $1,000 Loyalty discount is BS too. I can get a better discount than that on any car elsewhere.

When it came to affordable diesels, they knew they were the only game in town and were very reluctant to offer significant discounts. But I'm not buying a diesel this time am I? I'm just buying a car.

I think VW may find a lot of owners are going to walk away if they don't offer bigger discounts.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
The thing is, even with the 0.5% reduction, VW's interest rate is still high. Especially when there are 0% offers out there. And the $1,000 Loyalty discount is BS too. I can get a better discount than that on any car elsewhere.

When it came to affordable diesels, they knew they were the only game in town and were very reluctant to offer significant discounts. But I'm not buying a diesel this time am I? I'm just buying a car.

I think VW may find a lot of owners are going to walk away if they don't offer bigger discounts.

I guess we'll find out this week. I'm hoping there's a major pushback buy owners on this 'cheap the customer' attitude. We do deserve better, especially if this trade-in will be your third or more VW. If that isn't brand loyalty what is...?

Last edited:

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite

no, you have to bend over forwards, and stay bent over, that's the 'DirtyTDI' position.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI

They dont care, its clear they are still doing fine sales are up...and good luck finding a 15 tdi. they have no issue with sales

MEIN_VW

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know that I'd want to buy a brand new 2015 TDI even if it was heavily discounted. Those cars haven't been stored in heated garages. They've been sitting outside in the elements for more than a year and a half.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
I don't know that I'd want to buy a brand new 2015 TDI even if it was heavily discounted. Those cars haven't been stored in heated garages. They've been sitting outside in the elements for more than a year and a half.

well you must be alone in that because they sold out in days

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
They are desirable cars for a reason, something the design team knows very well...and something which not often translates to the understanding of marketing and accounting executives when it comes to putting customers first....they say it but they don't at all mean it.

Max-4

TDI
2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI
Hey there, I am really sorry for the questions but I am sooooo confused as to my options at the moment. I have a 2011 VW Golf Wagon highline 2.0L TDI with 110,000kms on it. I understand that my options are to either have VW buy my vehicle back off me for a price plus then I am eligable for a $5100 cash settlement. Sooooo say $13,000 plus the $5100 and then they take my car and I'm free and clear.

My other option is to wait a year until July 2018 and see if there is a fix for my car, if there is a fix for my car I can agree to do that and keep my car and take the $5100 cash settlement.

My dealer has told me that there is no fix for a 2011 so if I agree to the $5100 and keep my car what happens when I need an emissions test in another year or two and my car fails and there is no fix for it?

If I also wait until 2018 to see if there is a fix for my 2011 and then I decide to accept the buyback is my car depreciation that much more? What is the buy back price based on the 2018 value of the car or the 2015 value when the scandle broke and I had 30,000 less Kms on my car?

I'm sorry for the questions here guys but I'm not getting the right answers from the 17 year old French Canadian guy on the 1-800 number that I can't even understand.

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Hey there, I am really sorry for the questions but I am sooooo confused as to my options at the moment. I have a 2011 VW Golf Wagon highline 2.0L TDI with 110,000kms on it. I understand that my options are to either have VW buy my vehicle back off me for a price plus then I am eligable for a $5100 cash settlement. Sooooo say $13,000 plus the $5100 and then they take my car and I'm free and clear.

My other option is to wait a year until July 2018 and see if there is a fix for my car, if there is a fix for my car I can agree to do that and keep my car and take the $5100 cash settlement.

My dealer has told me that there is no fix for a 2011 so if I agree to the $5100 and keep my car what happens when I need an emissions test in another year or two and my car fails and there is no fix for it?

If I also wait until 2018 to see if there is a fix for my 2011 and then I decide to accept the buyback is my car depreciation that much more? What is the buy back price based on the 2018 value of the car or the 2015 value when the scandle broke and I had 30,000 less Kms on my car?

I'm sorry for the questions here guys but I'm not getting the right answers from the 17 year old French Canadian guy on the 1-800 number that I can't even understand.

Don't panic :).

https://www.ontario.ca/page/volkswagen-diesel-models-and-emissions-testing
"Vehicles will not fail the Drive Clean test as a result of Volkswagen, Porsche and Audi installing this software."

Also it would appear the value for buyback is based on the September 2015 value, so don't worry about depreciation, just keep motoring.

My current plan is to wait until the end to see if there is a fix. I would like the $5100 and extended warranty. Unless some major repair comes up that changes my mind between now and then.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0

You need to go here and read the documentation: https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/en
.....don't even think of blaming anyone else if you aren't planning on making the effort to learn the process for yourself. Second step is to start the claims process. Remember, you're under no obligation to commit to a decision until you actually accept an Offer from VW Canada.

In the event that you are looking for a different vehicle, fwiw my dealer is accepting *refundable* deposits on alternate new or used vehicles. Good luck and post back with your experience and opinion.

Last edited: