www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

View Poll Results: Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?
June 7 4 80.00%
June 8 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 4th, 2011, 11:59   #1546
TheBullwinkle
Veteran Member

Headed to Disney with my little ones. Some think it's crazy in a 200k vehicle...hoping for some crazy MPGs.

Later,

Joe
Old June 10th, 2011, 06:17   #1547
Red Dog

TDI(s): VW Beetle

Bullwinkle-

Good Luck w/ Fuel mileage. I hope you find good fuel prices on the road. I just came back Wisconsin where fuel was as low a $3.89 great price compare to $4.29.

Now showing a '10 Jetta 6 speed with 11 k mods to come.
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 15:55   #1548
05_new_jetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41city/46hwy

Hey guys gonna be in indy tonight.. anything goin on? U guys meet anywhere on sat nights?
05_new_jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 08:12   #1549
concord206

I was in TN last week and was loving the diesel prices! Some guys have all the luck.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:26   #1550
DCELL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44mpg ave
Default Can bus

do any of you guys own the can-bus version of vcds? Wifes passat is due for rear brakes but my vcds will not set basic settings for parking brake controller.
Thanks in advance!
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:12   #1551
indy_tdi

I have the 'micro-can' - not sure if that is what you need or not.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 16:26   #1552
Fusee

I have HEX-USB cable...don't know if it will do. I live in Pendleton and work in Westfield. If you want to borrow it for a day or two you are welcome.

Matt
Fusee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 09:50   #1553
DCELL
Veteran Member

Indy- I think the Micro Can will work for me. I have a HEX-USB, and it will not communicate with can bus. I need to do these brakes in the next few weeks so I'll let you know! Thanks!
Old June 27th, 2011, 11:36   #1554
indy_tdi

DCELL, My office is at 75th & Binford. I keep the cord in the car. Shoot me a PM when you are ready.
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:01   #1555
Phoneguy78

Hey guys, I'm up in Fishers and work downtown. Anyone replace their glow plugs? I am thinking I need to do mine. throwing codes for 3 of the 4. was looking at some of the other post on the site and it looks pretty easy. Just want your guys opinion. Thanks
Phoneguy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 18:04   #1556
indy_tdi

Replaced one of mine during the winter. Took more time to gather tools than to do the deed. 13mm socket (IIRC) and a torque wrench 11 ft-lbs. Pull the boot connectors off and replace. Visually I could not see a problem with the dead GP. I did swap the suspected GP for another and the code followed, so I replaced just that one. I found them at Auto Zone and the other parts stores for $19. But chicked out and got one from the Falcone ($41). Now, this is not an endorsement (especially in light of their treatment to one of our own) of Falcone but they were ALOT cheaper than Tom Wood who wanted north of $65 (and would not meet Falcone's price) Since Falcone is not open on Saturdays, I waited until Monday night.
On edit: Just noticed yours is a MK4 - double check the torque specs for your engine - I bet DCELL will know them

Last edited by indy_tdi; July 6th, 2011 at 18:07.
indy_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 19:24   #1557
DCELL
Veteran Member

I've replaced dozens over the years on my tdis, they are easy provided they were not overtorqued the last time they were changed. Your socket needs to be a quality 6pt deep well. Not sure on torque spec. You can use a basic $10 multimeter to test the plugs individually for resistance ohms. If your car is an ALH (03 should be) I have plugs in stock in my garage if you want to shoot up to Noblesville sometime. send me a PM.
if you want to buy them and do it yourself, do yourself a favor and order from (aaron) bleachedbora. boraparts.com good price, high quality, quick ship, etc. Be aware that cyls 3 and 4 doesn't always mean those are the bad plugs, in my experience. Test them individually or get a set and replace them all. It will save you time, aggravation, and wear and tear on your bridge harness. IMHO it is not worth doing one at a time, unless you like looking at your CEL. OK, rant is over.
Old July 7th, 2011, 05:24   #1558
Phoneguy78

Cool, I will test them and see if the are bad. I saw Wingnuts how to on them and it was pretty good. I am just glad that I don't have the ceramic ones. Thanks for the replies. Also I was looking at the local box stores and saw a lot of differnt plugs. I figure Bosch is prob factory, but there were some NGK one that were a little cheaper. Is one beter than the other or would I just be paying for the bosch name?
Old July 7th, 2011, 06:10   #1559
Phoneguy78

wow, just checked out the price at that site. You are right that is a great price. I have a lot of trips coming up soon ( Flying) so since it is nice outside and well above freezing will it hurt anything to order the plugs and swap them out in a few weeks when I have the time? BUt maybe I am getting ahead of myself, guess I should check them first.
Old July 7th, 2011, 17:29   #1560
Mad_Dasher
Veteran Member

Coat the threads of the glowplug with antiseize compound. These plugs have a habit of getting difficult to get out and then breaking! Makes for a lousy day.
Mad_Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote