"Volkswagen’s Tennessee plant sets new standard for low wages"

Status
Not open for further replies.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
TDIMeister and Tomo:

Are you embracing rules for the rules' sake, or do you have a legitimate beef with what has been written in this thread?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Years ago there was a General Section....That went away because the Politics got out of control.....Politics are not supposed to be discusssed on TDIClub.....There is alot of stuff going on in this thread that is not suopposed to happen here . I cannot believe that this thread has gone on as long as it has......
That said I could care less if it continues.....

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Years ago there was a General Section....That went away because the Politics got out of control.....Politics are not supposed to be discusssed on TDIClub.....There is alot of stuff going on in this thread that is not suopposed to happen here . I cannot believe that this thread has gone on as long as it has......
That said I could care less if it continues.....
Agree, it's apparent that some folks here like to read their published material....:rolleyes:

manual_tranny

TDI
Agree, it's apparent that some folks here like to read their published material....:rolleyes:
If you don't have anything to offer the topic, may I suggest that you find an automotive-related thread and "contribute" to that instead? I am having trouble understanding what your motives are...

Many of us are really enjoying the discussion, including moderators. If you don't want us to take it elsewhere, what is the point of breaking up our conversation? This thread is ripe with critical thinking. If you are averse to that sort of thing, I suppose this thread would not be for you. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
If you don't have anything to offer the topic, may I suggest that you find an automotive-related thread and "contribute" to that instead? I am having trouble understanding what your motives are...

Many of us are really enjoying the discussion, including moderators. If you don't want us to take it elsewhere, what is the point of breaking up our conversation? This thread is ripe with critical thinking. If you are averse to that sort of thing, I suppose this thread would not be for you. :rolleyes:
I really don't want to butt heads with you again.....I am just stating that what is going on in this thread is against the rules. If the Moderators choose to allow it to go that is fine with me ;)

I am just saying that there was a whole section here years ago and it simply went away.....and this thread is a perfect example of what that whole section was about.....

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
Simply amazing ;).....I guess we just don't have enough Moderators.....
I really don't want to butt heads with you again.....I am just stating that what is going on in this thread is against the rules. If the Moderators choose to allow it to go that is fine with me ;)
:rolleyes:

It looks like you haven't taken the time to read the topic, because if you had read it:

1. You'd see that the issue of it staying open has been discussed several times already. An example from page 3:

Obviously it is a relevant topic to tdiclub- its where the new Passat is being built.
I made the point that life is political, buying a car is political, and therefore it's impossible to ban politics, only certain specific politics.

2. Moderators have participated, including in two out of three posts made right before your "not enough moderators" comment.

If the topic is locked, it will be locked by a moderator or an admin. I don't think they need further spamming of the topic in order to make a decision to leave it open or lock it. So, kindly stick to the topic. I expect that's one of the rules. There are private messages for a reason.

This is an automotive topic. If you feel it's no longer following VW closely enough for your taste, then contribute something about the VW angle. The economic system—global, regional, and local—is certainly connected to VW's cars and us as consumers of them.

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
And at least one moderator and one of the admins have posted in this thread, and haven't locked it.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
Without posting anything to support that agreement it's meaningless. At least give us a substantive reason.

manual_tranny

TDI
I know better than to get upset over a dissenting opinion, I've had a very demanding day and my brain was already mush when I found certain posts I disagreed with. Everyone is entitled to their opinion (within reason), and in the same way that I have faulted others for their opinions, I can fault myself for being intolerant.

I forget sometimes that the only posts I have any business trying to control are my own. Lets get back to our regularly scheduled programming... and if we don't like a contrasting opinion lets let try and let it roll off our backs, (unless we have something constructive to reply with). I suspect that the thread will close if we argue about it enough.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Without posting anything to support that agreement it's meaningless. At least give us a substantive reason.
I worked for the US Postal Service for 34.5 years 1/2 of that time as a Craft (union employee) The hard working folks usually never got rewarded.....except given extra work for the union loads that didn't do there jobs and then they would protect these loads....after that I got into management and dealing with the non-workers were also an excercise in futility.....it would take nearly an act of congress to get rid of these bad folks....
I have always thought unionized auto workers were there own worst enemies.....I believe that this will make all the workers better and the loads will simply walk away....

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
some, not all the wealthy create jobs. I can give one example who was a classmate of mine. besides the 180 corporations he controls, has given hundreds of millions for cancer research and other good causes.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
some, not all the wealthy create jobs. I can give one example who was a classmate of mine. besides the 180 corporations he controls, has given hundreds of millions for cancer research and other good causes.
Charity isn't necessary in a society that doesn't have obscene levels of inequality. People should be able to provide for themselves. But, that takes a lot of resources, and the poor, working-class, and even middle-class are all disadvantaged from the start in comparison with the rich. Just simple but critical things like nutrition in early childhood, prenatal medical care, and pollution (like lead dust in inner-city Cincinnati) can make huge differences.

People like to pretend that everyone has equal opportunity but nothing could be further from the truth.

The more charity is needed, the more corrupted a society is by wealth inequality. The only time it may be compatible with a well-run society is when there is a natural disaster, and even then there should be an adequate safety net (fire fighters, police, et cetera).

Charity is PR for the rich. It keeps people from taking back some of the resources that are being hoarded. It is a mechanism for enabling people to provide inadequately for others.

The other issue is this "the wealthy create jobs". No, they don't. They stifle job creation by hoarding resources. The more resources they hoard, the fewer there are to go around. Fewer resources available = fewer jobs.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I worked for the US Postal Service for 34.5 years 1/2 of that time as a Craft (union employee) The hard working folks usually never got rewarded.....except given extra work for the union loads that didn't do there jobs and then they would protect these loads....after that I got into management and dealing with the non-workers were also an excercise in futility.....it would take nearly an act of congress to get rid of these bad folks....
I have always thought unionized auto workers were there own worst enemies.....I believe that this will make all the workers better and the loads will simply walk away....

Now I see why you are nuts:rolleyes: I have famly that works for the USPS it.They tell me managment likes to play head games.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Charity isn't necessary in a society that doesn't have obscene levels of inequality. People should be able to provide for themselves. But, that takes a lot of resources, and the poor, working-class, and even middle-class are all disadvantaged from the start in comparison with the rich. Just simple but critical things like nutrition in early childhood, prenatal medical care, and pollution (like lead dust in inner-city Cincinnati) can make huge differences.
The only way to eliminate the need for charity is to seal the boarders and remove the wealth to redistribute to all of the citizens. By sealing the boarders, you stop any migration of under privilaged people from taking resources of the current population. As long as you have an open free society, then you will have poeple that are in need of charity. And that doesn't even include those that are not capable of working due to birth defects and hadicaps.

I have to put on my paint chemist hat for my next rant: :mad:
Lead dust is not nor should it be an issue for any property that has had decent maintenance preformed over the last 50 years. The paint industry stopped using lead in consumer paints in the late 50s through early 60s. The federal government outlawed the use of lead in consumer paints in the mid 70s. The incidence of lead poisining in children is significantly reduced and if it weren't for poorly maintaned inner citiy housing projects, most owned by the local government, it would have been eliminated. The average american (both US and Canada) consumes more lead through drinking water than they will ever come in contact to through lead based paints. Here is a situation where your charity can help. If you feel the city in which you live has not kept up with the painting and other maintenance of the low income housing, go buy a few five gallon buckets of paint, some brushes and rollers, and dropclothes, grab some friends and go paint the inside of those building yourselves.

There have been many lawsuits filed over the past 20 years against the paint industry on lead poisining and they have all failed. Primary reason, the cities own the buildings and are the ones that are really at fault for any continuation of lead poisining and the remeadiation of those properties.
End rant! :(

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
is that why my mail smells like vasoline?

sorry, i couldn't resist, i mean nothing more by this other than a crude crude joke.

BigVWman

Veteran Member
Apex, NC soon to be back in the mitten of doom!
TDI
A1 cabriolet tdi and 01 nb tdi and countless gassers!
I think everyone around lately is just a little too sensitive we all need to relax and relearn to respect one another here(us)! I would gladly take a vw made by lower wage us workers than one made in mexico or china or india! Some workers will move up and make more others will use it as a stepping stone for other opportunities and some will stay and retire never advancing and be fine with that. It is so sad to see opportunities like fords new plant going to india to build car for this market, i wish they buying public paid better attention and spoke up.
PS I also respect my mailperson, i just wish they returned to the standards of long ago when i was growing up we had the same mail gal on the same route each day at the same time wearing a postal uniform! Not any old person driving a mailtruck that looks like it has been through a war wearing a white tshirt with spots on it! Canada post is profitable and services a much larger area, what are we doing wrong? Ending sat delivery? its one of the few services that set the postal service apart from the ups and fedex crews! Market it and emphasize it! just my 2c

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
LOL!! You are preaching to the choir.....I am an old school guy and I Believe in Customer service, but todays Postal Employees are not allowed to give Postal Service.......

manual_tranny

TDI
Anyone reading this thread who has not read "The Third Chimpanzee" or "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond: PLEASE do so as soon as you can!!

If anyone cannot find a copy at your library, or cannot afford a copy, please DO NOT HESITATE to PM me ASAP so I can send you these books.

If you have Netflix, the very least you can do is watch the National Geographic series "Guns, Germs, and Steel".

If you want to understand where inequality came from, it is imperative that you understand the TRUE historical origin of inequality. These books/TV series do a better job of answering these questions than any other source of information I have encountered.

If anyone has any suggestions of books or other media that adds to our understanding of the world as we know it, I think this is a suitable thread to list those suggestions in.

As Yuri would say:

All the best!

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Looks like this thread has about passed away, I wonder if the main contributor may be pre-occupied down at the local "occupy" event?

Status
Not open for further replies.