www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old September 9th, 2018, 19:55   #1
turbotorq
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Jetta TDI
Fuel Economy: 45ish
Default Hydraulic lifter modification for PD with video

Has anyone heard of this? Geoff from colt cams and I were recently speaking on the phone about this, he said they perform much better. Apparently Kermatdi has been experimenting with this in staff cars. 5 minute modification. I know nothing about the hydraulic operation of the lifters to comment to whether it's benefitional or catastrophic

Here is a YouTube video of how to remove the spring

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ty-sdf...ature=youtu.be
Old September 10th, 2018, 12:20   #2
turbotorq
Veteran Member

Bump...
Old September 12th, 2018, 17:15   #3
Franko6

Credit where credit is due. That's been going around for years. My impression is that in a high-speed situation, it may do something, but I don't think of TDI's as high speed engines. Plainly, they are NOT.

Here's the thing. When we were messing around with Dodge 340's a while back, we found that cutting the valves stems to minimize pre-load on lifters was the way to reach in excess of 9,500rpm without floating the valves. I think the same principle applies here, but not by removing springs, but by making sure you don't over-compress your cam followers.

The valve stems have to be cut and the amount of pre-load adjusted. We have done it for years before we ever saw our first TDI head and see no reason to stop now. We just think a properly adjusted cam follower works better.

It's just one of the many things that makes one of our cylinder heads, "...work better than it ever did before.."
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2018, 14:03   #4
turbotorq
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko6 View Post
Credit where credit is due. That's been going around for years. My impression is that in a high-speed situation, it may do something, but I don't think of TDI's as high speed engines. Plainly, they are NOT.

Here's the thing. When we were messing around with Dodge 340's a while back, we found that cutting the valves stems to minimize pre-load on lifters was the way to reach in excess of 9,500rpm without floating the valves. I think the same principle applies here, but not by removing springs, but by making sure you don't over-compress your cam followers.

The valve stems have to be cut and the amount of pre-load adjusted. We have done it for years before we ever saw our first TDI head and see no reason to stop now. We just think a properly adjusted cam follower works better.

It's just one of the many things that makes one of our cylinder heads, "...work better than it ever did before.."

Thanks for the reply Frank, so I partially understand your post. I'm not knowledgeable in this area , I know nothing of the operation of hydraulic lifters to know if this would be a good idea. I gather from your comment there's virtually no benefit to removing the springs in a TDI. Could there be negative consequences? I know when I pulled the plunger out of the original stock silver lifters, there was no internal spring.
Old September 13th, 2018, 16:15   #5
Franko6

I would have to verify that.

As for 'new' or 'exclusive', I'm not biting on that. It's not new and it's not exclusive.

We had a rash of people that got told to use AHU dual springs instead of the performance springs. That is nonsense also.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2018, 17:08   #6
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

The guy in the video makes mention of the black nitrided lifters being extra noisy... I haven't noticed the same, but I also make sure that I put all the lifters in a clean container, upside down, and fill it and the inside of lifters with oil. Give the adjuster a couple pumps with a finger while they're submerged in oil and leave them in there while you tear the old parts out.

Install them into the head freshly removed from the oil filled container and after re-assembly, they're generally quiet almost instantly.

Otherwise it can take a couple drive cycles after installing those lifters before they adequately adjust and quiet down.

Not sure I'm seeing the big advantage here, but I also don't do machine work, I just replace PD cams here and there.
Old September 14th, 2018, 05:48   #7
Zak3
Veteran Member

Hi,

I have just installed a new (stock) cam and new INA black lifters after a cam failure on a PD150 ARL.

The car was horribly noisy, and after replacing the parts, I let the car sits for 1 hour before the first start.

The first start was very quiet and engine operation is smooth.

30.000 km later I noticed that the engine is a bit noisy than before (but acceptable) and rarely (happened 2 times) after a hot start there's a tapping lifter noise that disappears few seconds after driving normally.

I'll check the cam and lifters this weekend to see if this noise is due to a premature failure.

Last thing about oil change, I use liquimoly toptec 4100 5w40
Zak3 is offline   Reply With Quote