www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 11th, 2018, 15:09   #1
BBB129
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Average 45 mpg, often pull a light trailer best tank 52 worst tank low 30's Towing
Default Ac compressor clutch went out?

Pretty sure my AC compressor clutch went out on me, heard a squeal yesterday when warming up, ran to the car to turn off AC to try and tell me if it was the culprit, however it stopped before I got to it....TODAY driving I hear the squealing again and then stops and my AC stops working, I smell burnt clutch and after inspection, the clutch seems loose in the compressor and there is debris around there. SO ya clutch is gone obviously, what im concerned about tho, is that when I run the AC the clutch seemingly engages but wont get cold air out of the vents (only tried it for 30 seconds or so).....wondering if my clutch would have taken out my compressor? I don't want to buy and install a new clutch when I need a whole new compressor.....Oh yeah just evacuated and refilled the AC with 600 grams three days ago....
BBB129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2018, 11:52   #2
johnboy00
Veteran Member

Assuming the controls are otherwise working (relays, etc) either, 1. its the clutch coil, 2. the clutch itself, or 3. the compressor.

1. The resistance of the clutch coil, from the 2 pin connector should be around 3 ohms or so. If its high then there will not be enough energy to pull in the clutch.

2. If the clutch seems loose then its possible the clutch splines stripped. This happened on my golf, once. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=391119

3. Also, IIRC, the center of the clutch, connected to the compressor, should turn relatively easily, with the car off. If it doesn't I think you may need a compressor. It's likely that you need to pull the clutch to be sure that compressor will spin since you won't know if the splines are stripped on the clutch.

If the coil is OK, you can replace only the inner part of the clutch.

My money is on #2
2003 IBW
1999.9 Golf (for parts)

Last edited by johnboy00; September 13th, 2018 at 11:54.
johnboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 16:15   #3
DeliveryValve
Veteran Member

Why did you evacuated and refilled the A/C? It would seem to me that could be related and you might have experience a compressor failure, not just a clutch failure.