Replacing the Fuel Filler Door

MattS

TDI
2005 Passat
Does anyone know where I could get a replacement fuel filler door? My wife drove off with the fuel nozzle still in the tank. Luckily the only damage to the car or the pump was breaking the plastic flap off at the hinge.

I think ebay might be my best bet, and I might be able to get the right color. Other than labeling, does anyone know if gasser fuel flaps would work also? I assume it is the same part but with different markings.

Also, how does one remove hinge mechanism? Is it accessible from the outside or does one have to remove some panel inside the trunk to get to it?

Thanks for the help!

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Yes, a gasser part will work. I bought a reflex silver assembly (with door) at a salvage yard and had it repainted stonehenge at the dealer body shop. Turned out fine. You can even buy a decal/label from VW.
I seem to recall one or two screws accessible from the outside removed the entire door assembly.

MattS

TDI
2005 Passat
Thanks. I'll post a message in the For Sale area.

A follow-up question: where do I find the paint color codes on the car? I've looked in obvious places: glove box, door jamb, etc. but I can't find anything useful. I'm not sure if I have the "Stonehenge Grey" or the "Reflex Silver."

Thanks again.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
The grey is dark and the silver is light.

Color code is in the trunk on a label or you can call the dealer with the vin # and they can tell you.

If you can't find one, and are patient, I know where there are parts for each color you have listed. I can pick one up next time I am at the yard.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The color code will be on a sticker somewhere in the spare tire compartment under the trunk liner. The sticker will also have the BHW engine code printed on it.

poppadoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat & jetta wagons
vwztips Can you get a dark gray for my b5.5 ? This is the second time my son broke it.

Quest4TDI

TDI
Passat, '05, Candy White
Well, due to a number of unfortunate circumstances when my wife was refueling our TDI, and I'm now in the market for a replacement fuel door. From what I've read, it shouldn't matter if the replacment door is from a gasser or diesel, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Once I round one up (Candy White), how do I go about replacing it? I'm guessing that I have to attack it from the inside (a wagon), since there's not much visible/accessible from the outside. Any hints?

Herb

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
If you still have it:

I had one break where the hinge meets the door. Took it out, just one screw.

Glued it indoors for better temperature and control; used super glue to hold the parts, then covered that with epoxy glue.

Gave it about ten open/close cycles. Doing OK so far.

Quest4TDI

TDI
Passat, '05, Candy White
If you still have it:

I had one break where the hinge meets the door. Took it out, just one screw.

Glued it indoors for better temperature and control; used super glue to hold the parts, then covered that with epoxy glue.

Gave it about ten open/close cycles. Doing OK so far.
I do still have the door, so I will take a closer look at the break and see if I can glue it. Not like anyone will see it.

I imagine a really, really good cleaning is in order first so the glue sticks better. It's amazing how much a plastic fuel door can stink of diesel.

Herb

Quest4TDI

TDI
Passat, '05, Candy White
Door has been super-glued, and the crack covered in epoxy. So far so good.

Herb