1400 miles (2254 km.) on 1 tank!!

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Quote: "uh-ohh...thems fightin words......"

No need to fight!
Thunder1 has announced his disbelief, I suggest he fly to Montreal and Rammstein can drive them both back to Idaho. Montreal to Nampa is about 2,650 miles, so they can stop for fuel once, maybe in Minneapolis. They can post trip updates for all of us to follow, as they discuss CANAM politics and bioD. I can already see the McLean's article, or perhaps a nice little writeup in the next VW Driver magazine. When they hit 1401 miles, Thunder promises to apologize, and buys lunch. I'll even reimburse Ramm for fuel if you can pick me up a Grant Hart CD in Minn. It will be great!

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
there's two of you full of crap.....
Have pity on this guy...he's just envious. He drives a NB automatic, the TDI with the lowest theoretical cruising range. If he's hitting the EPA highway number, he's got a cruising range of a meager 700 miles, vented.

I, too, would be envious of someone who owns a larger, heavier, roomier car with better aerodynamics, a more fuel efficient drivetrain, and a fuel tank that holds 9 more gallons.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
What would have happened had I not had to dilute the few remaining gallons of B100 in my tank when the weather turned cold? I was *that* close to my own 1400 mile mark. Would anyone believe 1400 miles on zero petrodiesel?

William J Toensing

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Jetta "value edition" 4 door
Although I didn't get the MPG a TDI gets, I was able to routinly drive from LA to Mpls., Minn. on one fill up with enough fuel remaining to drive around Mpls. for a week before refueling. This was with my 1985 Mazda 626 diesel in which I had the spare tire well cut out & an extra 18 gallon fuel tank installed. Carried the spare in the trunk. I could drive well into Nebraska but would usually fuel up in eastern Wyo. as diesel was cheaper there. Wish I still had that car. I also still have a 1979 Citroen CX diesel which averages around 31 to 33 MPG. However, I once entered an economy run in the later '80s & won the contest with 53 MPG with this car by pumping the tires up to 50# psi & practicing economy run driving techniques. Don't like to drive that way, though.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Sounds reasonable. "Normal" driving mileage is increased 65% when driven for economy. Worked to get the CX from 32 to 53, worked for me to get the TDI from 50 to 83.

Thunder1

TDI
•2002 VW Beetle TDI GLS, 1.9L, 5-speed AT, Black, ~236K miles. •2013 VW Passat TDI SEL, 2.0L, 6-speed DSG AT, Black, ~52K miles
AH-HAHA........thanks for all of the laughs guys. I enjoyed this thread. And, hey newbie, dream on, you'll never get a lunch or an apology out of me for expressing my opinion......and to everyone else, anyone would have a decent cruising range with 24 gallons.....but to get 58 mpg with those 24 gallons......sorry I don't think so. Don't be alarmed, it really is OK for me to doubt this claim......THE SUN WILL RISE IN THE MORNING. If there weren't any doubts this would be a boring thread. Have a Merry Christmas all.

Lug_Nut

TDI
"Hi,
I drive a New Beetle with the worst coefficient of drag AND it's an automatic. I can't get as far on a gallon of fuel as you can, therefore I say that you can't."

Poor Thunder, You just don't know, do you. A steady 60 mph will return 60 mpg.
Drop the speed to 55 and the mileage goes up to 65.
Nowhere to go and no deadline to get there? A steady 45 mph will return in excess of 75 mpg.
Not in a N-B.
Not in an automatic.
But the cliche "been there, done that" holds true for me and my Passats.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I've gotten 57 mpg in my 2000 5-speed Beetle a bunch of times - like all summer. Now is another story, but I still haven't gone under 50 mpg this winter.

There is nothing special about your Passats.

New Beetles Rule!!

Thunder1

TDI
•2002 VW Beetle TDI GLS, 1.9L, 5-speed AT, Black, ~236K miles. •2013 VW Passat TDI SEL, 2.0L, 6-speed DSG AT, Black, ~52K miles
Wow. No envy just doubt. Read my old post again. It was a 1.5 years ago and I was experimenting. Even if I didn't post the results of my experimenting one could deduce that I did not see a drastic increase fuel economy that some folks claimed that I would see......so YEAH, there is definitely a change in tone from then (optimism) to now (doubt).....ground breaking find CB. Even with the lower speeds and the difference in drag bewteen the NB and the Passat.....I'm still not convinced.....too drastic of an increase in fuel economy. Move on. I plan to.

I sense that some folks might be losing sleep over this portion of the thread....that wasn't my intention....I've seen those Passat mpg claims ever since I became a member and I always have had doubts. I just couldn't hold my tongue any longer.

Let's see.....58mpg......Christmas......58mpg........
Christmas.....hmmm....gee......let me think........uh.......get real.

Once again, Merry Chrstmas and Happy New Year.

Thunder1

TDI
dub - Who said anything about Santa Clause? Not me. Merry Christmas.

rammstein - I was quoting the first post which stated 24.19 gallons for that Passat. So you used 25.1 gallons..........whatever.......insignificant to the doubters.

Have a good one guys.

dubvulture

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf GLS 5 spd. black/black
I thought Christmas was Santa Clause's birthday? Anyway, I'm only goofing around. I believe it's possible to achieve the mpg's these guys are claiming. I can get 49.5 mpg out of my PD 5 speed without really trying. I will try driving a whole tank at 55mph or under to see how far into the 50's I can get. Now I just need a bigger fuel tank.

Thunder1

TDI
dub - thanks for the pleasant post.......I'm just playing around also. It's hard not to tease certain fellas on here especially when they take these things way too serious. Take it easy.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I've actually been teasing you, too, about being envious. I know you're not; you're just skeptical and healthy skepticism is a plus, as you said, and perfectly understandable in this case. The only thing I objected to was the tone of your second post. I thought it went a bit further into the personal than was warranted...but I might have misread that.

In any case, the bottom line is that what we all have in common, these marvelously engineered cars, bind us more than trivial disagreements about things like cruising range divide us.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
Hey Chris, maybe all he needed is to search for my user name in this very forum...hours of delicious reading...

You know what I'm talking about: tank per tank pictures of fill ups.

Thunder1, do a search for my username under this forum (don't look at all my posts, there are too many, around 5500 now) and you'll find pictures prooving us right.

DareDiesel

Veteran Member
I have my fingers in my ears! I'm not listening to your "big fish story" claims! Lalalala!

Oh Dang! This is an internet forum. It's text. I should have covered my eyes!

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Hmmm, Thunder1 was just teasing and all. Ok, didn't sound like it, but I can accept it.

His first post said our Passat buddies were full of "it." The second told this "Newbie" to dream on! (BTW, Thunder, I'm five months after you on this forum- and THAT's registration date, let's not count the 18 months of lurking, nor the "only owned Volkswagens since my '65 Beetle." I guess this nooB must not be posting enough expressions of doubt about other pople's MPG claims to get my Veteran status!
).

More to the point, I didn't dare suggest you apologize for expressing your doubt or skepticism (opinion). I joked that you should put your money (lunch) where your mouth (doubt) is! I suggested that you apologize (and buy lunch) once the two of you hit 1400 miles on your journey- If you fuel up at 1200, then lunch is on Ramm. I didn't much expect you to go for it, but please don't misrepresent my statement. You are entitled to your opinion, doubt, and skepticism. At the same time you might want to allow the source of your skepticism a chance to prove themselves (again).

Oh, and I'm sorry your NB auto has caused these feelings. Maybe trade it in for a B3 Passat Wagon?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Well, I've actually been teasing you, too, about being envious. (snip)
__. Well, I'm envious, too. I'd LOVE to have a 25 gallon tank. I'm up to nearly a 57 MPG lifetime average and frequently get 60 MPG+ tanks -- my best is 62.4 MPG. If I had a 25 gallon tank, I could get better than 1500 miles on a tank! Gotta love the manual transmission!
'

Thunder1

TDI
CB - Thanks for seeing through all of the jokes. I apologize if you misunderstood the tone of my second post. I really didn't feel I was getting personal. I understand that it's hard to get a feel for someone's personality by reading a few posts. Maybe for some out there I should have put smiley face icons on my posts to prevent feelings from being hurt or people getting offended.

As I look back at the thread, it's kinda funny....rammstein's post after my first post was I little snobby (maybe I misunderstood).......and I just couldn't help but volley back with the reponse I gave. Again, nothing personal.

I will always have my doubts about these Passat claims, but I whole heartedly agree with your CB's statement:

In any case, the bottom line is that what we all have in common, these marvelously engineered cars, bind us more than trivial disagreements about things like cruising range divide us.
I really like my NB TDI and at times in the past I was very fanatical about it, almost turning it into a hobby, and a great hobby it would be because these cars are sweet machines........logging fuel economy in Excel, thinking of getting a vag-com, maybe brewing biodiesel, ecu chipping, bigger injectors, the works, etc, etc................then I met HARLEY-DAVIDSON........

Have a good one guys.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I really like my NB TDI and at times in the past I was very fanatical about it, almost turning it into a hobby, and a great hobby it would be because these cars are sweet machines........logging fuel economy in Excel, thinking of getting a vag-com, maybe brewing biodiesel, ecu chipping, bigger injectors, the works, etc, etc................then I met HARLEY-DAVIDSON........
Amen to TDI fanaticism. Mine was put to the test when I acquired a beautiful blue M3 convertible a couple of years ago.

I live in a town blessed with about 320 days of "top down" weather a year and have a 2-car garage. Guess which car gets parked outside (I have 2 Passats) and sits undriven for weeks at a time? Yep, the M3. Now I know that REALLY strains credibility, but its true (or at least I'm claiming its true
). I think this qualifies me as either a TDI fanatic or just plain stupid, I'm not sure which!

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
KABUMP! Dang i'd kiss Richard Simmons (on the cheek) for a tank that size. Has anyone managed to refit a larger tank into vehicles with the nominal 14 gallon tanks?