CV Whine?

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
My B5 had an annoying whine at lower speeds that I was attributing to a bad front wheel bearing. I replaced the wheel bearings, and the noise persisted. This went on for about a year. When I was swapping over to my snow tires a week ago, I found that my right outer CV boot was blown.
I tore it apart this past weekend, pulled the entire joint apart, cleaned it, reassembled it, packed full of CV grease. Driving in this morning, no more whine!
Has anyone else had anything like that?
d

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I'm wondering if the outer secring nut was loose, causing the wheel bearing to be noisy. I've heard of clunking and rattling , haven't had a whine directly attributed to a CV before.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
I'm wondering if the outer secring nut was loose, causing the wheel bearing to be noisy. I've heard of clunking and rattling , haven't had a whine directly attributed to a CV before.
I can vouch that is wasn't loose.... bent one 1/2" breaker bar AND the pipe I was using trying to get it loose.... Good thing my 17MM socket was an impact one! Electric impact wrench did nothing but make noise...

I ended up warming up the bolt, got a longer breaker bar, stood on it and bounced up and down to get it loose.... That was probably the tightest bolt I have every gotten loose!

I have never heard of it either... I was driving myself crazy trying to find the source, bearings, tire noise... of course it's 8 degrees F here this AM... it may come back when it warms up...
d