www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old August 26th, 2016, 08:27   #751
chadbag
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big R View Post
I'm still showing a large discrepancy ($4K +) between the Attachment 1A table and the calculator in this thread (which give me the same, consistent number) and the number offered by VW in the "official" site. (significantly lower number).
Can't seem to get anyone to address the discrepancy.
2015 Audi A3 Premium Plus in Massachusetts currently 19,000 miles.
Table and this forum calculator say $38,588
claims.vwgoa.com says $34,207
Anyone? Bueller?
Have you contacted the claims hotline to ask? I'd make sure I have my calculations and can back them up when going into the buyback meeting if you think there is a discrepancy. It is only software on the claims site figuring this out and software has bugs.
chadbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 08:55   #752
Big R

TDI(s): 2015 Audi A3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
Have you contacted the claims hotline to ask? I'd make sure I have my calculations and can back them up when going into the buyback meeting if you think there is a discrepancy. It is only software on the claims site figuring this out and software has bugs.
I have indeed called them...and they were, to put it politely, somewhat less than helpful.
Big R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 08:56   #753
Airpizz6
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm still showing a large discrepancy ($4K +) between the Attachment 1A table and the calculator in this thread (which give me the same, consistent number) and the number offered by VW in the "official" site. (significantly lower number).
Anyone? Bueller?

Not sure if this has been asked already, but if you accidentally entered the wrong purchase date, eg May 16, vice May 15, you will only get half of the restitution, around $4000 less. You have to call in and check that. Several people have already run into that.
Airpizz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 09:24   #754
Armby
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Golf

Quote:
Anyone? Bueller?
Not sure if you clarified this before but when did you buy your car. The tables published in June assume you purchase before Sept x 2015. If you purchased after the news broke you are only initially eligible for 50% of the restitution part and the claims.vwgoa.com site would reflect that.
Armby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 09:34   #755
Big R

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airpizz6 View Post
Not sure if this has been asked already, but if you accidentally entered the wrong purchase date, eg May 16, vice May 15, you will only get half of the restitution, around $4000 less. You have to call in and check that. Several people have already run into that.
That doesn't help either...it's the base amount that is off. Restitution seems to be calculating properly at 20% + $2900 (or whatever the magic number is)
Old August 26th, 2016, 09:45   #756
Armby
Veteran Member

Quote:
That doesn't help either...it's the base amount that is off. Restitution seems to be calculating properly at 20% + $2900 (or whatever the magic number is)
The buyback amount in column 1 of attachment 1A of the June PDFs already includes 100% of the restitution. (is that what you are comparing to the "base amount" you get from online site?).
Old August 26th, 2016, 09:55   #757
Big R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armby View Post
The buyback amount in column 1 of attachment 1A of the June PDFs already includes 100% of the restitution. (is that what you are comparing to the "base amount" you get from online site?).
No...I get all that. Check out my original thread on previous page...Calculator in this thread (and .pdf tables from June settlement docs) give a number that is $4K more than VW's site.
Old August 26th, 2016, 10:05   #758
Armby
Veteran Member

Quote:
No...I get all that. Check out my original thread on previous page...Calculator in this thread (and .pdf tables from June settlement docs) give a number that is $4K more than VW's site.
Well, I am stumped then, except to say that there was some uncertainty about the 2015 values that were published in June.

You did buy before Sept 2015, right?
Old August 26th, 2016, 10:09   #759
Big R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armby View Post
Well, I am stumped then, except to say that there was some uncertainty about the 2015 values that were published in June.

You did buy before Sept 2015, right?
YEP...again, though, it's the "base" amount that is so different.
Old August 26th, 2016, 10:35   #760
Airpizz6
Veteran Member

BIG R: Do you still know the exact MSRP for your vehicle? The return number should be .717 times that number with adjustments for any additional options or mileage. That gives you something solid to argue with them about if that shows the discrepancy. Of course if the return amount goes up, so does the restitution.
Old August 26th, 2016, 10:44   #761
chadbag
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have indeed called them...and they were, to put it politely, somewhat less than helpful.

I know what you mean, having called them with some other questions.
chadbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 11:09   #762
Big R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airpizz6 View Post
BIG R: Do you still know the exact MSRP for your vehicle? The return number should be .717 times that number with adjustments for any additional options or mileage. That gives you something solid to argue with them about if that shows the discrepancy. Of course if the return amount goes up, so does the restitution.
No...but thanks...and it should be easy to find. Where did that .717 number come from?
Old August 26th, 2016, 11:13   #763
Airpizz6
Veteran Member

Quote:
No...but thanks...and it should be easy to find. Where did that .717 number come from?
NADA values weren't used for some '15s. Rather they came up with an off the wall .717 for depreciation. That times MSRP gives you the base return figure. Then adjust for mileage. Options should already be in the MSRP. See question 21 of your settlement booklet. For a buyback of $38K+ your MSRP should have been just over $40K. For my '15 Passat MSRP must have been used because the number matches the other calculators and tables. If you are still way off, it's possible there was a NADA value for your vehicle that was used in VW website calculations. Note that the booklet does not say that MSRP was used for all '15s.

Last edited by Airpizz6; August 26th, 2016 at 16:17. Reason: added info
Old August 27th, 2016, 07:54   #764
edge130
Veteran Member

Default How to remove foot from mouth

I think I owe people an apology regarding the mileage calculation

Just now I was manually computing buyback figures, using NADA Sept 2015 book for their values and mileage tables.
It seems that VWs mileage adjustment tables include the the 20% restitution component.

If VW could have included verbiage to the effect that the mileage figures reflect the 20% restitution, I would not have made an argument.

NADA Mileage table for the 45,001-50,000 mileage bracket, under the Class II row, their figure is $2,175.
$2,175 + 20% = $2,610; which is the same $2,610 in the VW Mileage table.

I had previously argued that the mileage tables did not reflect the 20% and therefore must be added.
edge130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 08:40   #765
Airpizz6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge130 View Post
I think I owe people an apology regarding the mileage calculation
Just now I was manually computing buyback figures, using NADA Sept 2015 book for their values and mileage tables.
It seems that VW’s mileage adjustment tables include the the 20% restitution component.
If VW could have included verbiage to the effect that the mileage figures reflect the 20% restitution, I would not have made an argument.
NADA Mileage table for the 45,001-50,000 mileage bracket, under the Class II row, their figure is $2,175.
$2,175 + 20% = $2,610; which is the same $2,610 in the VW Mileage table.
I had previously argued that the mileage tables did not reflect the 20% and therefore must be added.
Then are figures for excess mileage also 20% more or less? Most of the complaints are from those with excess mileage. If the VW chart numbers reflect a 20% greater penalty, there will be more unhappy campers.

Last edited by Airpizz6; August 27th, 2016 at 08:41. Reason: Typo