TDI Ranger Build

scubagli

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 audi 4000Q ALH SWAP in progress...
The only differences would be the fact that you'd have to change two driveshafts instead of one and you'd also have to mess with transfer case linkages if it is a manual shift althouh I believe most are push button. Oh and right now I only have an adapter designed for the lima motors which were pretty rare in 4wd configuration.
You moved the trans forward to clear the fire wall, that is why you lengthed the drive shaft? Or did I miss something?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
With your truck is the steering rack up front? Were you able to tuck the engine behind it without it getting too tight at the vacuum pump?

curtis75

TDI
none, yet
You moved the trans forward to clear the fire wall, that is why you lengthed the drive shaft? Or did I miss something?
That would be why. In a 4x4 you would lengthen the rear shaft and shorten the front shaft. You could try to make clearance on the firewall, but moving it forward helped me with clearance fo the oil filter and accessories as well.

I don't remember having an issue with the rack. I believe I am over top of it, and it sits low enough that I am ok, but I'm going from memory, but I could be just behind it. I'd have to go look. It's been a while since I actually got it bolted in the truck

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Two questions:

First, how would a tranverse engine fit into a RWD truck? Is there some sort of existing adapter? Would you have to completely relocate the transmission?

Second, why not just go for the gusto and drop a 7.3 in the Ranger to keep with the Ford family? (j/k)

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Two questions:
First, how would a tranverse engine fit into a RWD truck? Is there some sort of existing adapter? Would you have to completely relocate the transmission?
Second, why not just go for the gusto and drop a 7.3 in the Ranger to keep with the Ford family? (j/k)
the same way the factory truck engine fits in, longitudinally ;)... yes it takes an adapter some imagination and fabrication :)

SmokeyWagn

TDI
02 jetta sedan, 03 jetta wagon, 1z ZJ under construction
started mine in Feb '12 and i still have get the gauges working

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Mileage update

Tank #4: 672.5miles on 17.4 gallons = 38.6 mpg
Tank #5: 690 miles on 17.9 gallons = 38.5 mpg
Tank #6: 680.4 miles on 17.7 gallons = 38.5 mpg

Hey, at least I'm consistent. :)

I'm looking at picking up a tonneau cover to see how well it improves FE. I'm also planning on doing a rear axle swap to drop the rpm....thinking about coordinating that with maybe a 2-3" drop.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Boost lag

From time to time I was noticing that my boost wasn't behaving nicely. Since I hadn't yet checked for boost leaks I made up a couple adapters to get that done.

And here they are with my regulator

In action

I also hooked up the steel blockoff plate to the turbo outlet to see if I was leaking anywhere on the exhaust side. I wasn't expecting to find anything since I had zero soot traces but I figured it couldn't hurt....well it almost did. When I pumped up the pressure to around 40psi it actually started rolling the engine over and driving the truck UP my driveway. :eek: Anyway, no leaks on the exhaust side but I did have a leak on the cold side right here at around 30psi. No I'm not hitting that level of boost now...but hopefully will be sooner rather than later.

I did also did a couple logs to see what was up:
In my first log you can see two separate 4th gear logs. The first was taken after a long run without using the brakes and shows good boost response. The 2nd was done after sitting at a stop sign (purposely depleating vacuum) and shows slow or laggy response which of course indicates that my actuator isn't seeing full vacuum at low rpms.

Here is another log showing reponse in 2nd, 3rd and then 4th gear.

The first thing I checked was my vacuum supply to the n75 which was lower than normal (15" Hg instead of the 25-28" that one should see). I traced this back to a loose vacuum pump nipple. I siliconed it up as a temporary solution to give me 20+ inches of vacuum.

Oh I also made a quick visit to Jfettig to get an updated tune from Malone. With the boost coming in early like it should thanks to fixing the vacuum leak, fixing the boost leak and most importantly getting the tune updated this thing now pulls! :D I can't wait to see how this thing moves when I throw some more fuel and boost at it.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Any trouble with needing lots of cranking to get the Ranger fired off? AndyBees and 22rtdi have both done similar conversions and both have trouble getting lit off on the first crank.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Not really. It doesn't light off on the first revolution but I believe it is the 3rd or 4th. And I'm using an 11 year old battery and a pieced together main ground cable. I'm pretty sure my cranking will slow WAY down when it starts to get colder and she starts pre-glowing.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Not really. It doesn't light off on the first revolution but I believe it is the 3rd or 4th. And I'm using an 11 year old battery and a pieced together main ground cable. I'm pretty sure my cranking will slow WAY down when it starts to get colder and she starts pre-glowing.
I bet you won't have any hard start issues...mine has popped right off from day one (aside from the initial bad pump).... it literally explodes to life, hot or cold weather....I'm curious to see what's up with Andy's and 22r's hard start issue...I'm sending 22'r an immobilizer defeated ECM tomorrow so at least he can eliminate that from the list

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I bet you won't have any hard start issues...mine has popped right off from day one (aside from the initial bad pump).... it literally explodes to life, hot or cold weather....I'm curious to see what's up with Andy's and 22r's hard start issue...I'm sending 22'r an immobilizer defeated ECM tomorrow so at least he can eliminate that from the list
hmmm....I wonder why an immobilizer would cause a slow start? Do either of them have lift pumps?

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
hmmm....I wonder why an immobilizer would cause a slow start? Do either of them have lift pumps?

Immobilizer would not have affect on slow start, its either will cause no start (dead completely with key in start position) or will let you start but will die instantly.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Baseline dyno

Big thanks to Kriesel for coming over to Beach's Long Lake Service and helping out with the dyno runs. Testing went great. I logged data the entire time so I'll process that data later and post up the results.

Optical tach bracket :cool:

Run 1: Baseline 1, (no dyno cooling fan) http://youtu.be/c18VdTqRq-4
Run 2: Baseline 2 http://youtu.be/Z94ccH31u8c http://youtu.be/C1dk0uK3-qo
Run 3: Baseline 3
Run 4: No air filter
Run 5: No air filter, no muffler http://youtu.be/o41vyNEvnwg

Results (at the wheels, with correction factor):

Run 1: 109/212 (102/199 without CF)
Run 2: 110/208
Run 3: 110/208
Run 4: 110/207
Run 5: 110/206

Here is the printout for runs 1-3

Hardware summary:
- stock ALH longblock
- 10mm IP
- .184 nozzles (stock 5spd)
- In-tank lift pump (regulator set at 3psi)
- vnt15
- 2" exhaust, stock ranger muffler
- 2.5" FMIC, 2.5" piping
- 2.5" racepipe, PD150 intake
- Stock Ranger intake, WIX filter
- 3.73 rear axle, 35psi rear tires

Last edited:

mcneil

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 4dr, 2001 Jetta TDI, Jeep TDI project
I like how you covered the old engine mount hole in the belt cover. :)

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
its cool to see some dyno numbers ... what are your future upgrade plans?
Stage 1: tune (current)

Stage 2: stage 1 + R520's + retune + pyrometer

Stage 3: stage 2 + gtb2056vk + 4bar MAP + boost gauge + retune + clutch (likely)

Stage 4: stage 3 + 11mm IP

As mentioned before I'm pretty worried that stage 4 torque levels will likely exceed the strength of my stock transmission. So I guess a potential stage 5 would include a T5 and a built up shortblock (alh pistons + rosten rods is all).

Last edited:

tta

TDI
2006 tdi dsg late
Besides the truck and the doner TDI, how much $ do you have into this swap ??