www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old May 18th, 2009, 13:52   #1
FL2AK-tdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: best: 49.91 hwy w/ ULSD worst: 28.xx city with Jet-A/D1 mix
Default Cross Canada/Cross Contient Road Trip

So it looks like it will actually happen. We'll be leaving Anchorage for Tampa, Fl, via Quebec City, on or about July 27th or 28th. The current plan is to drive the Al-Can (my second time) and go by Calgary to visit friends. Then on, across Canada to Quebec. From Quebec to New Brunswick then south, down the Eastern Seaboard, to Tampa.

I am planing this as a sort of history vacation road trip, which will work nicely as I've just graduated from the University of Alaska-Anchorage with a degree in History and a minor in Canadian Studies.

So, to all of our Canadian brethren, what would be the best roads and routes to use? What is the cost of diesel fuel in the various provinces these days? What points of interest are out there? (Specifically, anything of historical or cultural significance or outdoor adventure, i.e. backpacking or canoeing?) (I'm also hoping to have enough time to eiter day hike or overnight on the International Appalachian Trail, the Appalachian Trail in New England, and the Mohawk Trail in New York, perhaps a canoe trip on the Richelieu River.

My current itinarary includes (possibly) a short side trip up the Canol Road, a trip to Methy Portage (I hope) and a visit to Batoche and Louis Riel house. We're also planning at least a few days in Quebec and Vercheres.

One could also apply those questions to the east coast as I'm also planning a sort of tour of the French and Indian War and Civil War on the way south.

Oh yeah, if...IF...the Jetta pukes on the way, who are the goto guys and where do I get parts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONP
...you [are] a loyal VW owner, wether you like it or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_TDi
I'm just not buying the whole, 01M sucks...end of story bit.

2001 Jetta Sedan GLS. 01M trans. Koni Reds. Evo Skidplate. Otherwise stock.

I <3 my automatic transmission. =)

They say that if you play a Windows CD backwards, it plays satanic music; that's nothing, if you play it forward, it installs Windows!
FL2AK-tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 14:00   #2
JASONP
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5l/100

Toronto,Ontario
http://www.precisiontuning.ca/

Stewiacke, Nova Scotia
p: 9026392777
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/roseland/P&S.htm
Old May 18th, 2009, 15:37   #3
je
Veteran Member

TDI(s): -

You could visit Louisbourg, and the Plains of Abraham and Citadel in Quebec of course. There are some interesting civic buildings, and another Citadel in Halifax. Once there you might want to stop at Pier 21 where immigrants (perhaps your parents, like mine) landed (or as my mother now insists on calling it, Pier 1).

If there's anything left of Fort York in Toronto by the time you get there, you could visit that.

Of course, you can see Province House in PEI where Confederation was signed, and walk down the path that the Fathers of Confederation staggered drunk down to the waterfront in Charlottetown (it's true!). You can also stop at the spot where Terry Fox ended his Marathon of Hope.

You might stop in Ottawa, there's some notable history there but that route might take you past Toronto (or is that your plan already).

When I did a trip like this once I stopped at all the provincial parliament buildings, and except for NL have been to all of them.
je is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 17:28   #4
FL2AK-tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by je
You could visit Louisbourg, and the Plains of Abraham and Citadel in Quebec of course. There are some interesting civic buildings, and another Citadel in Halifax. Once there you might want to stop at Pier 21 where immigrants (perhaps your parents, like mine) landed (or as my mother now insists on calling it, Pier 1).

If there's anything left of Fort York in Toronto by the time you get there, you could visit that.

Of course, you can see Province House in PEI where Confederation was signed, and walk down the path that the Fathers of Confederation staggered drunk down to the waterfront in Charlottetown (it's true!). You can also stop at the spot where Terry Fox ended his Marathon of Hope.

You might stop in Ottawa, there's some notable history there but that route might take you past Toronto (or is that your plan already).

When I did a trip like this once I stopped at all the provincial parliament buildings, and except for NL have been to all of them.
Thanks, je.

Yeah My time in Quebec is centered around seeing all of the Seven Years War sites at a minuimum. I'm also hoping get to to practice my French some. I've dug out oall of my notes and textbooks to start refreshing as I haven't taken a course in French in about a year.

I'm actually considering trading the side trip on the Canol for time to go up to PEI. I love telling people that, when it comes to forming countries, Americans have wars, Canadians have meetings.

Do I detect a bit of anomosity against Toronto?
Quote:

Quote:

They say that if you play a Windows CD backwards, it plays satanic music; that's nothing, if you play it forward, it installs Windows!
Old May 18th, 2009, 19:43   #5
owr084
Veteran Member

Don't miss the Canadian Aviation Museum and the War Museum in Ottawa. Both are very nice. Lots of other museums in the area.
Old May 18th, 2009, 21:01   #6
FL2AK-tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owr084
Don't miss the Canadian Aviation Museum and the War Museum in Ottawa. Both are very nice. Lots of other museums in the area.
ooooooh. I've always been a big fan of deHavilland Aircraft Company. The firs plane I ever worked on for pay was a dash-8. Since I've worked on the dash-8, the dash-6, (Twin Otter) and the dash-2 (Beaver)

As much as I detest war, I found it impossible to escape studying it. The Imperial War museum in London is first rate as well.
Quote:

Quote:

Old May 19th, 2009, 07:29   #7
alnmike
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 09

Sweet trip. Im sure there will be pictures galore. Enjoy the Great Alaskan Departure

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDawg
Personally, I believe the "wheeee" is just the engine's way of commenting on how much fun that last drive was....
alnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:43   #8
Sweeps
Veteran Member

I'm leaving Victoria, BC on or about July 28th as well, heading for Home in Orillia, ON (an hour north of Toronto).

Might see you on the road somewhere on the prairies
- Subaru Demo
- 02 BMW 330i - weekend fun.
Sweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 17:10   #9
FL2AK-tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeps
I'm leaving Victoria, BC on or about July 28th as well, heading for Home in Orillia, ON (an hour north of Toronto).

Might see you on the road somewhere on the prairies
hey! Let's meet up at the Ruby in Dog River for lunch!
Quote:

Quote:

Old May 20th, 2009, 20:34   #10
Ookpic
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Average 41

Ok, not sure what your route is or how "leisurely" your plans are...

I'm also not too sure about other provinces, but rather than going through northern Ontario, if you head south at Winnipeg on highway 75 and cut down through the US 29 south and then hook up with I94 you could do the loop around Lake Michigan going through Minneapolis, Milwaukee and Chicago.

After visiting Chicago, you could come back up to Milwaukee and cross Lake Michigan on the Lake Express which comes out at Muskegan, MI. You then head East through Grand Rapids, Lansing, and Detroit. You then can cross over the Detroit/Windsor border into Ontario.

If you are up for a historical lake shore drive when you get to Ontario, there are some neat places you can visit on your way through. You can head through Amherstburg, Kingsville, Leamington. Then you can hook up on to the Talbot Trail which takes you through Wheatly, Blenheim, Wallacetown. You can detour down to Port Stanley and St. Thomas then back south to Port Bruce, Port Burwell, Port Rowan, Turkey Point, Port Dover. You can then head north to Cayuga, on your way to the Welland Canal and Niagara Falls. Then you can either route yourself back up around Lake Ontario through Hamilton, Mississauga, Toronto on your way to Ottawa and then on to Montreal.

This trip is definitely NOT the shortest or quickest way through Ontario but like I said, not sure how leisurely your driving plans are. There are certainly lots of little "burgs" along Talbot Trail and at times not a lot to look at however more scenic than the 401/402 for sure.

Here is a link to Google maps and some various links for this route.

MinneapolisMilwaukeeChicagoGrand RapidsLansing

DetroitWindsorAmherstburgKingsville

Leamington

Wheatley

Blenheim

Wallacetown

Port Stanley

St. Thomas

London

Port Bruce

Port Burwell

Port Rowan

Turkey Point

Port Dover

Cayuga

Welland Canal

Niagara FallsSt. Catherines

Hamilton

Mississauga

TorontoOttawa

Montreal

Sorry for the length. Once I started, I just kept on going . Sounds like an awesome trip!! I'm a bit of a info mining geek so if you would like any more on anything specific, just PM me your email address.
2002 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) 5 spd | GLI Leather Interior | Malone Tuning Stage 5 | 17/22 Hybrid turbo | Eurojet SMIC | PD150 Intake | PD150 TIP | PD150 Upper Airbox | R32 Lower airbox | R32 DSG Snorkel | ARP Headstuds | WaveTrac LSD | DBW Tuned R520 nozzles | DC Stage III+ Clutch | PD150 Stealth Race Pipe | Whitbread Performance Innovations custom 3" exhaust & IC piping | TT LCA Bushings | Durometer 80 Dogbone with poly insert
Ookpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 21:03   #11
FL2AK-tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ookpic
Ok, not sure what your route is or how "leisurely" your plans are...

I'm also not too sure about other provinces, but rather than going through northern Ontario, if you head south at Winnipeg on highway 75 and cut down through the US 29 south and then hook up with I94 you could do the loop around Lake Michigan going through Minneapolis, Milwaukee and Chicago.

After visiting Chicago, you could come back up to Milwaukee and cross Lake Michigan on the Lake Express which comes out at Muskegan, MI. You then head East through Grand Rapids, Lansing, and Detroit. You then can cross over the Detroit/Windsor border into Ontario.

If you are up for a historical lake shore drive when you get to Ontario, there are some neat places you can visit on your way through. You can head through Amherstburg, Kingsville, Leamington. Then you can hook up on to the Talbot Trail which takes you through Wheatly, Blenheim, Wallacetown. You can detour down to Port Stanley and St. Thomas then back south to Port Bruce, Port Burwell, Port Rowan, Turkey Point, Port Dover. You can then head north to Cayuga, on your way to the Welland Canal and Niagara Falls. Then you can either route yourself back up around Lake Ontario through Hamilton, Mississauga, Toronto on your way to Ottawa and then on to Montreal.

This trip is definitely NOT the shortest or quickest way through Ontario but like I said, not sure how leisurely your driving plans are. There are certainly lots of little "burgs" along Talbot Trail and at times not a lot to look at however more scenic than the 401/402 for sure.

Here is a link to Google maps and some various links for this route.

MinneapolisMilwaukeeChicagoGrand RapidsLansing

DetroitWindsorAmherstburgKingsville

Leamington

Wheatley

Blenheim

Wallacetown

Port Stanley

St. Thomas

London

Port Bruce

Port Burwell

Port Rowan

Turkey Point

Port Dover

Cayuga

Welland Canal

Niagara FallsSt. Catherines

Hamilton

Mississauga

TorontoOttawa

Montreal

Sorry for the length. Once I started, I just kept on going . Sounds like an awesome trip!! I'm a bit of a info mining geek so if you would like any more on anything specific, just PM me your email address.
Wow, thanks! That seems like a lot of material. I am still writing a final exam to give tom y students tomorrow morning; after schools' out tomorrow I'll be able to start reading through all of that...thanks. =)
Quote:

Quote:

Old May 20th, 2009, 21:59   #12
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

I will recommend the Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton: http://www.warplane.com/pages/ptalk.html

Their Avro Lancaster is flying again, the sound of that thing is amazing, only two left flying in the world, I'm lucky to hear and see the Lancaster literally directly over my back yard. You can watch them take off from the Museum which is located at Hamilton International Airport. Members get to ride on the vintage aircraft... check out the flight schedule at the above link.

JE mentioned the Terry Fox memorial. I stopped there while working in Thunderbay one winter, it was right at sunset. Very Moving. Also a great lookout point for the area. If you have ever seen Michealangelo's David, I think the statues are about the same height, and both struck me with awe, for differrent but similar reasons.

Anyway... if you visit Hamilton, the birth place of Tim Hortons, I will buy you a coffee!
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://narfblast.com
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:24   #13
lovemybug
Veteran Member

If you come down through Milwaukee, you'll have to stop at the Mars Cheese Palace for some real Wisconsin cheese. And a brat too, of course.

I can't believe how much crap I can fit in this thing.
lovemybug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:38   #14
Sweeps
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2AK-tdi
hey! Let's meet up at the Ruby in Dog River for lunch!
Not a bad idea!
I can be there for dinner, probably on the 29th
- Subaru Demo
- 02 BMW 330i - weekend fun.
Sweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:56   #15
FL2AK-tdi
Veteran Member

So it looks like our for first, definite stop will be in Alaska, actually; we'll be driving the 320 mile gravel Taylor highway up through Chicken to Eagle, Alaska on the Yukon River.

We're still considering driving a portion of the Canol as well.
Quote:

Quote: