FS: Passat Wagon 125K miles 1 owner

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vehicle Description [/FONT]
1996 VW Passat TDI Station Wagon, 1 owner from new. Low miles: 200 tkm/ 125 K miles.

Mechanical Description:
  • 1.9L TDI 1Z Engine Code. Turbo Diesel. Engine Family: ZVW1.9DFZE
  • Rated at: 90 hp and 149 ft/lbs of torque stock.
  • Just passed Ontario's strict MTO Safety Inspection last week.
  • It also has a valid emissions test done within the last 6 months.
  • The engine runs very nicely. It pulls very strong and idles nice and smooth.
  • Cold start ups are no problem.
  • No Check Engine Lights are on.
  • Synthetic oil from new.
  • Fresh oil change.
  • Transmission shifts very smoothly
  • Clutch engages properly and holds as it should with no slippage.
  • Steering nice and tight.
  • Brakes pull straight and firm.
  • Recent work(last week) rear brake calipers and pads as well as a oil pan gasket.
  • Timing belt, water pump and tensioner all done 15 tkm/9500 miles ago.
  • The car feels very tight on the road.
  • Exterior Condition:
  • Storm Grey colour ( paint code: LK7Y) is factory original with a few minor touch ups.
  • Very clean solid body.
  • Nice glossy paint.
  • Clean clear headlamps.
  • Factory 15" 5 spoke aluminum rims. 4 balanced and matching 205/60 R15 Yokohama tires w/ 75% or better tread remaining.
  • All glass is original and in good condition.
  • Front and rear bumper show a few stratches- please review photos.
  • A few small touched up stone chips along leading edge of hood.
  • Exterior is original with no questionable history.
Interior Condition:
  • Charcoal cloth.
  • Non smoker.
  • Loaded: power steering, brakes, windows, locks, mirrors, tilt, heated seats and of course ice cold AC.
  • No sunroof so there's added headroom for those tall folks.
  • Factory AM/FM Cassette w/ CD changer controls
  • Pet free.
  • No seat upholstery staining or signs of wear.
  • Carpet has some minor staining under one of the rear floor mats- hardly visible given the black carpet and location.
Other:
  • Clean clear history with verified one owner.
  • Clear title in hand.
  • Ontario residents will receive the car certified and emissions tested-ready for license plates.
  • US residents have the option of importing themselves or to use a registered importer.
Gone .....

For those well versed in B4's the following is common knowledge but for those that haven't had privelege of owning/driving a B4....
These are very desirable cars. Loads of room. Very reliable. Cheap to maintain. Long life if cared for properly, as this car has been. There is also a wonderful support network for B4 Variant fans here and other websites. They hold their value exceptionally well. The only unfortunate thing about these cars, and this is subjective, is the fact that they're very rare especially in this fine condition.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What a nice looking car. I suspect this won't last long. Prepare yourself for questions on how to get it into the US.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
For those that have inquired. I contracted the services of a Registered Importer today to get this car legally registered in the US. I should have a clear Michigan title the middle of next week. No customs hassles to deal with for the purchaser, I'll handle that.

Thanks for the bump IBW. IMHO Storm Grey is the sharpest B4 colour and then Dragon green.... I know I know ;-)

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
mogly said:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vehicle Description [/FONT]
1996 VW Passat TDI Station Wagon, 1 owner from new. Low miles: 200 tkm/ 125 K miles.
For those well versed in B4's the following is common knowledge but for those that haven't had privelege of owning/driving a B4....
These are very desirable cars. Loads of room. Very reliable. Cheap to maintain. Long life if cared for properly, as this car has been. There is also a wonderful support network for B4 Variant fans here and other websites. They hold their value exceptionally well. The only unfortunate thing about these cars, and this is subjective, is the fact that they're very rare especially in this fine condition.
bump for a fine looking specimen. what are you replacing it with? why are you selling, if you don't mind me asking?

Also note that the B4V has a fuel capacity of well over 25 gallons for the ultimate in range!!

good luck with the sale!

BigI

Veteran Member
TDI
2k2 Jetta GLS
Well this should be interesting for US buyers paying premium since their dollar is worth so little U$1.10=CND$1 and droping.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It will get more intersting as oil tops $100/barrel. Bump for the biggest back seat in a VW diesel ever. And one of the roomiest back seats in any diesel.

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
I knew mine wasn't storm grey. So this leaves the question open as to what the light blue color is- silk blue, right?? Who was it that corrected me? ;)

Here is a link to a sedan that looks like it is the same blue as mine was.

sorry for the hijack, but I'd like to know for posterity. I don't feel too bad since this one went up on ebay... weird.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Wow! I didn't know they made Passats in porcelain blue-(color of car in link in above post)-same as my Jetta-I thought Passat only had the Windsor blue paint.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It's the windsor blue I like. And where are these Passats with low miles coming from?

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
I'm wondering if the Chi-town one is a cluster change... As I'd be suspicious of all the others that don't have documentation.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
What would these cars cost if new today in numbers corrected for inflation? Just curious...

They were say $22K new.

Yes, it does blow me away when someone pays over 6K for some rusty neglected B4V TDI though, that's just crazy. But for the really nice ones, hey 10K is about the cost of a nav package and some super duper sport wheels on some BS new techno rig that will surely become some cash hole as it ages. Just look at what people are spending for some of these new cars... That's amazing to me.

Personally, the well maintained zero rust low mileage ones are a bargain IMO at anything up to 10K. What else can provide all the these do for that kind of money? Having owned many special and otherwise rare VW's ( 89 GLI, 91 Vanagon Syncro, 91 90 Quattro 20V for example ), I can say that the B4V has all of my favorite qualities all wrapped up in one, I have yet to grow tired of the design: Simplicity, size, economy, reliabilty, performance, range, comfort, safety, style, upgradability, durability, parts availabilty, etc. etc.

Just don't get into a fight with the insurance agency regarding B4V TDI values, their little charts and books will fight you, trust me.

Do tell Mogly, where are you getting all these cars from? It's like he tapped some super secret source... I remember you selling a nice diesel Eurovan a while back too...

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Hi everyone, lots of nibbles but still available. You eagle eye folks noticed my eBay ad. It's up tomorrow. I set the reserve low @$7500 which has been met. So it'll sell tomorrow to high bidder.

Quote: jollyGreenGiant:
"otherwise rare VW's ( 89 GLI, 91 Vanagon Syncro, 91 90 Quattro 20V for example ), I can say that the B4V has all of my favorite qualities all wrapped up in one, I have yet to grow tired of the design: Simplicity, size, economy, reliabilty, performance, range, comfort, safety, style, upgradability, durability, parts availabilty, etc. etc."

I wholeheartedly agree B4V's are great. Sounds like you've had some neat stuff JGG. I have a couple of syncros too.

This unit "found" me ;-) My beloved B4V that I sold last month was found 50 miles from my home. It found a wonderful home in Tennessee. You have a good memory to remember that diesel EV! Too slow for my taste. It's out in Idaho running on bio.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
jollyGreenGiant said:
What would these cars cost if new today in numbers corrected for inflation? Just curious...

They were say $22K new.
Mine was $21.7K new. That's a lot of money back in '96. I paid $27 for a Audi A4 V6 Quattro the same year. I just priced a new Passat wagon and it came out to about $31K, but that's with leather and no diesel.