Grinding noise from front driver side?

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Hi All

I have a strange (and annoying/worrying) noise from what seems to be the front right wheel on my B5.5 2004 Passat (I'm in the UK so RHD!)

Its a once per revolution metal grinding sound which is very loud if driving next to a wall with windows open.

This happens even at 5mph with the steering wheel straight.

It doesn't seem to be a stone stuck between disc/pad or heatshield, and the heatshield doesn't appar to be rubbing on the disc. Nothing it rubbing on the wheel itself.

Discs and pads are quite new, but the noise didn't start straight after fitting them.

Ive even had the discs and pads back off and found nothing.

When I jack up each front wheel, there is no play when rocking the wheel 3/9 o'clock and 6/12o'clock.

I did spin the hub with disc removed and the noise seemed to go away, so I'd expect it to be a disc/pad interaction. There is no brake judder.
But maybe the noise is only when the wheel is on the ground and everything is loaded, so maybe not disc/pad at all? :(

The caliper is old, but if piston was seized I'd expect a hot disc and a constant rubbing.

Can worn wheel bearings and cv joints make this noise at such low speed and with wheels straight?
Or a gearbox bearing? Its the 6spd manual.

There is no clicking on full lock, but there is a slight wheel bearing noise from the front left (I think) when I turn hard right at speed. So that might be on its way out, but I don't think this is the issue?

Any help appreciated! Im running out of ideas!