Passat b7 ignition/electrical issues

patters1978

TDI
Passat
Hi everyone
Car - Passat 1.6tdi bluemotion 2012 start/stop engine code CAYC
Problem - car started having faults starting with coil light, engine light, error start/stop, diesel filter to the point original battery died. This was due to once the key is taken out of ignition the car doesn’t think it is and primed the car
Have replaced battery (not coded to car yet)
First start all errors apart from diesel filter disappear but once key is removed engine again primes? Only way to stop it is if the battery is removed or relay 100 is removed from the fuse box in engine bay (lucky guess just pulled it to see)
No fault codes as weekend no where open
See https://youtu.be/ves27j14Abo
Any help would be very appreciated
Located Tamworth uk
Cheers
Ps end of video is car trying to starting without clutch or 100 relay in

Last edited:

patters1978

TDI
Passat
Ps another look and it looks as if it is constantly priming car shouldn’t that cut off at some point? Fuel is constantly trying to be put into engine?

patters1978

TDI
Passat
Right another update ..

Removed dash around steering wheel and removed key switch, took that apart cleaned and then sprayed with some lubrication spray moved key in and out some and tested in car nothing! Still the same issue!

So to prepare to take to garage tomorrow have assembled all the dash and decided to give it one more drive, car starts as normal pulls key and all is well dash goes off car seems to shut down as normal?!?! I have tried this now 20 plus time all successful?

What do you think a sticky micro switch in the ignition switch?

patters1978

TDI
Passat
Scrap that just tested again start with an oil warning light now back to remove key and dash lights up ��

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Perhaps failed eletrical portion of ignition switch. I saw one fail on an eos causing wierd problems with the drop function of the windows.

patters1978

TDI
Passat
I have been driving it most of today and there is a pattern to the issue

If you drive the car for 2 minutes you can remove key no problems but try to re-insert key and pull it out you get the flashing dash

If you drive the car long it increases the amount of times you can pull the key until what I believe the battery drains to a point it flashes

I might be talking utter bull but that’s how I see it?

If the switch was broken then surely it would be random? But every time I use the car and pull key out the first try nothing happens.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Almost sounds like a grounding issue.

Out of curiously is the ODB port still live when the key is removed? can you see if any of the BCM have codes stored?

Sadly many people hear don't have the knowledge an expertise of the new electronics of a B7.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Your explanation of driving and pulling the key out being OK, but putting it back in causing an error has led me to believe opening and closing the driver's door makes a difference.

patters1978

TDI
Passat
Hi guys thanks for the suggestions but I believe this one is solved ( please let it be solved lol )

Anyway the battery was brought from a local retail store called Halfords ( uk ppl will know )
It’s an OEM replacement that is exactly like the old one but with a Halfords brand on it, 4 years warranty an a AGM battery.

Now they offer fitting which includes coding the battery to the car sadly though my car was stuck at home so just brought the battery, with the intention of returning to just get it coded today I have done that the guy also cleared all fault on his little dongle thing and since then no issues the start/stop even kicks in every time!

So I guess my problem were

Low battery caused all system to protect them self and throw up warning
Something in the car still thought a depleted battery was present causing ... confusion?

That’s my guess anyway

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
With start stop systems, coding is probably even that much more important.

Here in the US it's all the rage to add remote starts so people can idle their cars for 30 min so they don't get a chill walking from the house to the car. SMH