Way to pull windshield wipers without a "puller"?

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta sedan, "stick," with in-dash 6-CD changer, Sat., & AUX jack in glovebox that I'm no longer trying to figure out how to use, thanks to slamhouse! :-)))
Hi! I'm trying to get the plenum off to do some electrical work, and the windshield wipers are on really tight; due to the electrical problem, I can't just drive to the parts store to get the proper equivalent of a steering wheel puller (assuming they exist, either generically, or for these windshield wipers). So, is there a way, other than simply finding the right combination of lever and pivot point, to getting things off their posts?

Thanks!

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Put them in the service position and lift the wiper arm to take off the pressure from the spring.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.

Done. :D

Do you have a ball joint puller? I have one that could be made to fit on the wiper arm, had to grind off som material off the base.

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta sedan, "stick," with in-dash 6-CD changer, Sat., & AUX jack in glovebox that I'm no longer trying to figure out how to use, thanks to slamhouse! :-)))
Thanks! "Service position" is the "top" of their operating range?

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyway, if that is what that means, I can't do it by hand, and the ignition circuit doesn't have power, so i can't do it the usual way. Additionally, i'm not sure which spring you're referring to, because lifting the wiper arm puts tension on the spring that i can see, not takes tension off. Sounds like the ball joint puller (thanks for the name) is what i'll need. in the meantime i guess i'll price a new plenum, in case i have to break/cut the thing off.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
When I'm stuck without a puller (in an emergency) I've used this method:

Unscrew the nut holding the wiper arm in place such that it sits flush with the end of the stud. Place a large chunk of wood on the windshield. Use this as a fulcrum as you pry the backside of the wiper gentle upward...really you're just supporting it more than prying. Once you're ready give the face of the nut a tap with a soft faced mallet or brass hammer (normal hammer if that's all you have). If they are really on there this method won't work but if they are torqued to a typical spec they will pop loose and hit the back of the nut. HTH.

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
Excellent! I had figured out the fulcrum idea and the loosening with a mallet idea, but hadn't yet thought of combing them! Plus, leaving the nuts on to keep the arms from flying off: me likes! Thanks loads!

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
Understood, thanks! Hey, while i have your attention, any advice re: my other recent post on removing "460" relays?

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Anyway, if that is what that means, I can't do it by hand, and the ignition circuit doesn't have power, so i can't do it the usual way. Additionally, i'm not sure which spring you're referring to, because lifting the wiper arm puts tension on the spring that i can see, not takes tension off. Sounds like the ball joint puller (thanks for the name) is what i'll need. in the meantime i guess i'll price a new plenum, in case i have to break/cut the thing off.
Oh sorry, you're right about the spring. What I meant was that lifting the wiper arm releases the tension at the pivot point.
With the wiper in it's normal position the spring pulls it toward the windshield, making the pivot point to arch. This will bind the arm to the stud.
If you can't operate the wipers you can push down on the pivot point while pulling the arm off,to get the same effect.