My 2013 Passat burned 4 quarts in 12,000 miles?

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Yesterday I got a low oil pressure warning. I checked my dipstick and it was beyond low. I do not have a place to change my own oil so I've been going to the dealership for $60 all said and done every change and I went first thing today.

Dealership gave the car a good look and said no leaks or drips anywhere or evidence of that. I was told to adhere to the 10,000 mile schedule and as the car gets older it will consume oil which is normal.

My car has 113,000 on it. I don't buy that explanation. What I think happened was 505.01 wasn't used last time and the car ate it over the past three months. I've never had anything close to this ever happen before. Also, I never saw or smelled any type of smoke or burning oil.

So what do you guys think? Am I crazy or is it possible?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I can't understand how a sump full of 505.01 oil would burn any quicker than any other oil.

Unless there was a catastrophic loss of oil, I don't understand how you wouldn't notice the gradual loss of oil. As any engine ages, it's a good idea to check the oil more frequently...getting 600 miles per tank of diesel fuel, probably every fill-up would be a good idea.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
If it has just happened at your last oil change, one could suspect whether it was filled with proper oil. Has it consumed any oil prior to the last oil change?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Good chance the turbo is passing oil. Not good to let it get so low that oil pressure is lost.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I haven't done the oil changes myself since I had the 05 Jetta. I remember 505.01 as the spec. I don't remember the new spec off hand. I did a quick search and saw it. Is it .03 or .05 now?

I never had any oil loss before. Certainly nothing noticeable. Just trying to think it through.

I know you needed oil of a certain spec. So nothing would happen if you threw in oil off the shelf from Walmart? There must be some consequence to that?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The correct oil spec. is 507. Using the wrong oil can result in faster filling of the dpf with oil ash, and worse depending on the oil used. If you're not married to keeping the dpf, any cj4/ck4 5w40 works well.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Thanks, turbo.

I plan to keep things as they are. I think the regenerations happened more often as of late, but I'm not sure. I don't keep track of the frequency but I thought it seemed to be more.

My typical week is comprised mostly of my 70-72 miles each ah commute to work so I go through about a tank a week. I'll be paying more attention now but I was super surprised to see this issue.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I haven't done the oil changes myself since I had the 05 Jetta. I remember 505.01 as the spec. I don't remember the new spec off hand. I did a quick search and saw it. Is it .03 or .05 now? <snip>
A 2013 Passat TDI takes 507.00 oil, which is what I put in ours. I've always just used the Castrol, because the local dealer sells it for a reasonable price. We've got almost 57K on ours, and it's never used a drop.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I also commute ~70 miles each way daily. My '14 Passat has a little over 116k miles on it now. I change the oil every 10k miles and use a pint or less of oil between changes. Don't tell anyone, I am using Delvac-1 5w-40. 43 mpg average at weekly fill-ups, DSG.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
If it has just happened at your last oil change, one could suspect whether it was filled with proper oil.
Or if it was filled in the first place... Has happened before. You should know the answer in the next 1000 milesif you monitor oil level.

Do the new passats only have oil pressure sensor... No sensor for oil level?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
After reading through this thread, I am thinking the stealership did not re-fill the engine oil after draining it. In order to be "using" that much oil it would/should be obvious somewhere, like out the tail pipe. Have you double checked the drain plug on the pan; if it was that you be parking over a puddle all the time. I am glad to hear you caught it as soon as you did.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would verify the possible oil consumption before jumping to any conclusions.

The CKRA engine is not known for using any concerning amount of oil between services, even the "acceptable" level VAG allows.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I can't understand how a sump full of 505.01 oil would burn any quicker than any other oil.

Unless there was a catastrophic loss of oil, I don't understand how you wouldn't notice the gradual loss of oil. As any engine ages, it's a good idea to check the oil more frequently...getting 600 miles per tank of diesel fuel, probably every fill-up would be a good idea.
...there's just no way 4 qts. could disappear w/o additional issues...

Now I'm wondering if a moderator should delete this entire thread, to keep the potential of misinformation from spreading on the internet. The title is rather hysterical, isn't it????

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
...there's just no way 4 qts. could disappear w/o additional issues...

Now I'm wondering if a moderator should delete this entire thread, to keep the potential of misinformation from spreading on the internet. The title is rather hysterical, isn't it????
That is exactly my point. Trying to plot a trend via one data point is not only misleading, it is completely UNleading. It has no direction.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Confirm change and that it is refilled properly and see what happens over the next month. If no oil is consumed you know the dealership fed you a line. If you do start to see some usage you know have something to investigate more thoroughly...

If it used 4 qts it gonna keep using, an engine doesnt just magically decide its full...

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Our '13 Jetta, sadly now gone, used maybe a cup of oil when brand new, then nothing at all for the next 26k. Something wrong. Either they didn't fill it with oil, or if they're using 505 instead of 507 maybe that's the problem.