Another clean diesel-69 Beetle CBEA swap

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
We did a 1.6 diesel swap into a thing a couple years back and the guy loves it. I don't think I want to do another, not a lot of room for radiators and stuff and they are really a fairly heavy vehicle, compared to the other air coolers.

914 was one of our first thoughts, but they are too expensive now. Not like the old days. I have been eyeing 924, but hood height might be an issue, or would have to figure a way to lean the engine over. Would like to measure one up to see.

100 LS would be a good candidate alright, but they were kind of the type 4 of the Audi world and died young and got hauled off for junk. I haven't seen one in years. It would be a great TDI receptacle in a manual trans car. I always liked the green one like pictured above.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Replaced the clutch pressure plate with a stage 3 and that seemed to do the trick for the clutch slippage issue. Streets were still a little wet from a recent storm so now we are experiencing tire slippage even in 3rd gear. The very real question of inadequate brakes is now being voiced.

The Ghia I was chasing is a bust for now anyway, negotiations broke down. I am following a lead on 62 Studebaker pickup, though however. It looks like it would fit, but it would be a lot of fussing and fabrication. Another factor against the Stude is that the pickup fixed and restored in stock form would be more valuable than a TDI swapped one, and I really don't want to do a restoration on a 62 pickup project.

In the meantime the beetle really needs to be driven in the real world and get all the bugs of the swap taken care of. Time to install a heater I think.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
That has to be a candidate install for quickest clutch change.

I've very jealous having just recently completed a DMF change on a DSG Beetle. Opposite ends of the spectrum from your setup as far as ease of service is concerned.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I was thinking earlier that has got to be the best arrangement for timing belt jobs, turbo replacement, and just about any engine work. Ease of maintenance definitely scores points in my book. :D

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
There is many reasons that engine got installed in that vehicle for development of a standalone CR.

I think the clutch took us about 45 minutes to do at a leisurely pace. We just supported it with the cherry picker and pulled it out far enough to unbolt the pressure plate and swap it out. We did not disconnect one wire or hose in the process.

Yeah, new beetles are not fun in most instances, at least to work on, but if someone gave me one it might end up a common rail.

Miata still looks good to me for affordability, you can get fairly decent ones cheap if you shop around. I am still waiting for one to pop in for service and it will get measured and compared in many ways while it is on the hoist. Hood height is a concern.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Have you thought about a fiero or an old mr2? Neither are worth a whole lot and they would go like stink.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
how about Subaru for a recipient?
Gross! why a scooby when an audi transplant would be so much better?

Plus, given the subaru engine layout, it doesn't seem like an inline 4 would fit well at all.

Plus plus subarus are so cheap and rattley to begin with, i would hate do see one with a diesel in it.

Last edited:

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I own both a Subaru Outback, and a 4runner I could swap but rejected partly for hood height reasons on Subaru, and mainly because they are not different enough to bother with. It would make them a better car but they would still look like the other 40 of them parked in the parking lot.

I had not considered a Fiero and will add it to my list. I looked around the area and there is one that could be grabbed real cheap due to problems. Might have to go look at it.

MR2 is not readily available around here cheap, and I don't know if I could get real excited about one, I haven't really ever liked those cars, maybe personal, but that is me.

Subaru Brat, hood height issues too.

We have looked at all the Brit cars with desire. Metropolitan, Austin, Morris Minor (prefer woodie or pickup) and others, but people that own them won't let them go for a price I would pay, if you can even find one.

It is more of a matter of what car deserves and engine like this rather than what do you think we could put it in.

Please keep the suggestions coming, I very much appreciate the input.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I haven't really thought about that yet, I have considered Ranger swaps, but it seems like a lot of people are doing them though. I kinda want something a little different from the herd.

One suggestion in shop here that sounds doable is Dodge or Plymouth scamp pickups. Some of the similar omnis came with VW 1.8 engines, or at least the 020 trans which would simplify a lot, and be different from the norm too. Not to mention pretty light, which is also a goal.

chucky2

TDI
Ford Ranger FX4 Level II
Well if light is a goal that pretty much rules trucks out (an older International though with a staged up 4cyl VW diesel, or, even better (but I'm sure far more $$$) VW/BMW/MB V-6 TDI would be pretty cool as well).

A '97 Aerostar AWD would be a one of a kind swap... :)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Or maybe a Chevy Luv machine. I once lifted/pushed the rear end of a buddy's luv out of a ditch superman style. Extremely light. Another buddy of mine had a mazda B2000 that couldn't have weighed much more than 2000 lbs. The doors were a subject of much ribbing.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I had a Toyota pickup like that only white a few years back, was a good little truck with the Yota engine, would be amazing with a 2.0CR. Chevy luv/Isuzu was really a pretty good little truck, but I haven't seen one in years, same with B200. The engines would burn oil on the B2000/2200s so finding a fixer upper might be possible.

I am not set on a truck, or actually anything in particular. As often happens the perfect car will just show up by luck.

On a sidenote had a Miata in the bay yesterday and preliminary measurements look good. Might get by with notching and lowering subframe a couple inches. Still awaiting my north-south conversion tranny for measurement before concluding anything.

I have a 280Z problem, never did like the cars so I would have to be pretty desperate to do a swap on one, but you know how those things go. Someone will give me one and I will have to do it.

Last edited:

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I have worked on too many Z's in my career, I have had a lifetime allowance of them I guess.

I have never been called cool.:eek:

I would have thought the yearning for a type 4 comment would have rated uncooler.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I have worked on too many Z's in my career, I have had a lifetime allowance of them I guess.

I have never been called cool.:eek:

I would have thought the yearning for a type 4 comment would have rated uncooler.
No man, the Type 4 is uber cool. There was a pristine one driving around SE Portland, Oregon on Thanksgiving day I saw. Sounded great and looked like it was a 2 year old car.

Ranch

TDI
ALH
LOL.. here ya go! Mid 80's AMC Eagle. Offered 2 door, 4 door, wagon, 4X4, longitudinal engine, came with automatic or 4/5 speed manual.
curb weight: 3033 lbs w/ 2.4 inline 4, and 4 speed.

Last edited:

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
An eagle in 2 door manual trans would be pretty cool, but they are as rare as many of the others I have thought up.
I liked them when they were around more and even in stock form. Too bad they didn't stick around, they were great cars and ahead of their time.
Common rail power would make it even better.

Ranch

TDI
ALH
Yeah, I hear ya. 7-8 year production run, averaging 5-6000 cars, I think the last year was pretty grim at 1200 cars..
They had the front differential kinda bolted to the engine, like the Dakota, So that probably would take some engineering...
They show up on craigslist from time to time.. ya might get lucky. Neighbor had a wagon, and that thing went EVERYWHERE.
In the 'spec' info, there was even a mention of a diesel.. I really didn't see what it was, probably for export.. or just a concept version.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
The diesel would interest me a lot as the gearing would be figured out for a diesel, and there is really a good chance they might have sourced a VW diesel.

Mismatched gearing is no fun, in fact it almost makes you want to go with an auto as they are often geared higher at least.

I have been looking for transverse and rear drive trannys I think would work for different applications.

Probably for all purposes 2 wheel drive is best.

Found a semi local guy (2 hour drive) that has several Dodge renegade and Plymouth scamp pickups in various conditions. He is very interested in a TDI powered one, he had considered doing one himself but was not well versed in VW diesels. He seems to be really into those cars and might have lots of spare parts for them and maybe including the Omni that used VW engines. Might be worth a drive once the snow melts unless something better drops in my lap before then.

Ranch

TDI
ALH
The diesel would interest me a lot as the gearing would be figured out for a diesel, and there is really a good chance they might have sourced a VW diesel.

Mismatched gearing is no fun, in fact it almost makes you want to go with an auto as they are often geared higher at least.

I have been looking for transverse and rear drive trannys I think would work for different applications.

Probably for all purposes 2 wheel drive is best.

Found a semi local guy (2 hour drive) that has several Dodge renegade and Plymouth scamp pickups in various conditions. He is very interested in a TDI powered one, he had considered doing one himself but was not well versed in VW diesels. He seems to be really into those cars and might have lots of spare parts for them and maybe including the Omni that used VW engines. Might be worth a drive once the snow melts unless something better drops in my lap before then.
Reading between the lines of those specs on the Eagle, it sounded like Renault might of been a possible supplier of diesel engines.. FWIW.

LOL.. man, researching those old Eagles, and the Mitsubishi imports for Chrysler, (Arrow, Colt) sure bring back 'bad' memories!!

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
The little beetle went on a weight reduction program. Managed to rid it of a quarter pound of excess weight.

Ended up with something that looks like this. That is only the one side of the computer harness, the other side is untouched from original and goes straight to the engine. Missing in the photo is the ECU and the fuse panel, and of course the other harness and accelerator pedal. I did leave intact the cluster connection and lead to the ignition switch reader coil in case we want to use them at a future date. If you look you will see 3 rogue wires that will get loomed together when installed. They go to the lift pump, auxilliary fuel pump, and ignition lead from the car.

Started with this, or at least that is what is left over after I separated out all of the unnecessary stuff that we didn't need from the car. I am glad I had the whole harness to start with at least for the first time. There was quite a bit of interweaving throughout. If I do another after this I could get by with the engine compartment harness and fuse panel and pedal and CAN gateway from under the dash and wing the rest if needed. It would be good to have the fuel pump relays and wires uncut too but they are interwoven into the dash harness and a wrecking yard is likely to balk at that if I buy an engine from therm

Trying to compact it a little bit and weatherproof it a little more so we got a battery box to match the other side where the battery resides. Cleaned up the harness a little and got rid of unneeded wires and retaped it all stuffed it in the box.

In the end it is now weatherproof, looks like it has two batteries, and doesn't look so just thrown together. With it all in the box there are now only 3 wires connected to the car as such. Positive connection to the fuse panel, ground, and the ignition lead to turn it all on. It is pretty much standalone now although to put it in something else you would have to mount the fuel pumps and filter and coolant reservoir somewhere, but that is as lean as it gets I think, for a common rail application.

Now with it's high tech air filter cover and ultra high tech state of the art electronics box it can sit in the weather like a real car without problems. Speaking of weather the snow is melting and the pavement is coming back so we can drive it again without just crazy wheelspin issues.

Last edited:

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-fY6knEQs4wX1NySlRpbm1LalU/view?usp=sharing

We have the clutch slippage issues fixed, now for the tire slippage....
As you can see it is a little wet out still, ice is gone off the streets but it still spins freely in the wet through third gear on the streets.
We shot the cookie monster video out behind the shop because on the streets it is out of sight before you know it, a little icy back there but I have no doubt it would do as well on dry pavement. Gotta admit either way though it sounds good, not very loud even with the open exhaust. As it drives spiritedly down the street the sound of the tires spinning almost drowns out the exhaust sound..

Last edited:

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Found a guy here semi locally who has a kit car for sale. 29 Mercedes Gazelle replica. Probably 75% finished with a beetle engine in it now. Looks like there is enough room to slap in a common rail possibly from the pictures anyway.
He also has a Ghia in his collection. Currently playing phone tag with him. First car pictured is not the actual car, but that is the kit. Second car is the actual car sitting in it's current resting place. A little weathered but....

Last edited:

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Update time. Been frigid cold and snowy so the beetle has been resting comfortably. Not getting very far with contacting Mercedes kit car seller. Still trying. I think the cold weather has everyone just holed up inside keeping warm.

I now have a lead through a VW enthusiast friend in Spokane. Type 4 fastback manual trans. Really hoping that turns into something. He said he and his friends have been watching that car for over 20 years but no one can come up with a good use for it. Apparently the engine dropped a valve and there is no interest in fixing it up as a stock restore. He got pretty excited about the idea of a CR type 4.

The beetles owner took his dog to his vet, also a VW nut who has a really clean 66, and they got to comparing notes. He is very very excited to hear of a common rail running in another car. He really wants badly to have us put a common rail in his Samarai. I am in contact with Acme adapters now to see if it might work. According to Jeff there, to his knowledge no one has done that swap yet so he knows nothing but is very willing to work with us to make it happen if possible to do.

I stated earlier that I didn't want to do a Sammy swap and next thing you know there is someone with money burning a hole in his pocket ready to jump at a chance for a CR sammy. He has stated that he dreamed of such things and fully realizes that it may not be cheap. If I do the swap I will start another thread of course.

I am still going to keep trying to get that kit car, and type 4. Lately we have been chasing leads on Baja bugs too. I have been talking package deals with wrecking yards and looking for donor cars also. Who knows, maybe we will have a fleet of common rail cars running around the valley.

Last edited: