What did you do to your MKVI-A6 Golf family/JSW today?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
@146K miles - brakes and rotors front and rear, Bilstein Touring Class (TC) shocks and struts, and Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus 235/45/17 97H tires all around.

My little car feels great!

I always thought I'd get the Bilstein HD shocks (B6 HD monotube), but went with the standard replacement Bilstein Touring version that my Indy sourced. The car was already in the shop for inspection and I needed shocks, so I decided maybe it wasn't worth the extra trouble and delay to work outside my Indy's sourcing. I also thought the HD version might be overkill for my little car. The car feels great, so I'm happy. It feels like new, or maybe even a little better than new!

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I am somewhat reluctant to say that I did a side-by-side comparison: same white color, same number of doors, a hatch (NOT) the same, length is within 2 inches, width same.

inside, we have 66 cubic (my JSW TDI 6M) versus 46 cubes for the new Honda Civic Hatch 1.5 turbo 6M - - - - highway MPG - per Fuelly.com - comes about as close to the TDI as a gas wagon can yet (MHO).

One BIG problem: rearward vis - compared to the VW - is really Sxxxxx............

ez

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Had to replace the 7yr old battery.

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
Replaced pads and rotors all around. The OEM stuff lasted 93k? Not too shabby. Also flushed the brake lines, and rotated the tires.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Thanks for the reccomendation! Thats what we'll go with. Without looking i'm not sure whats on the car meow. Its got 86K, so I imagine is the 2nd set, and they are damn near toast.

How long have you been running the tune on your car? After all this TDI-gate crap settles out, i plan on running a similar setup and keeping it forever.

Thanks!
Guess I never replied back to this. Pretty much had a tune on my car since about 2-3 months of ownership (I'm the original owner). Started with a Neuspeed Stage 1, which is like a Malone Stage 0.5 or something. A lot peppier than stock, but sucks compared to my current Stage 3.5. I got that somewhere around 150K, and I'm at 190K 18 months later. The car is a blast to drive.

And keeping with the title of the thread - I deleted the resonator on this car. Did it make a huge difference on sound? Not really. The highway drone is pleasant - almost sounds like an airplane at cruise control, depending on the speed; wasn't irritating at all when I had cruise control set at 93mph on the way home (the speed limit on SH-130 here in Texas is 85mph).

I also installed brand new Bilstein B8 (HD Sport) shocks, new LCA assemblies (turned out to be cheaper to buy the whole assembly than getting the bushings individually). Now I need to send my old shocks back to Bilstein for warranty replacement. Also installed 4 new Fag wheel bearings (to go along with my set of ExtremeContact DWS06 that have maybe 7000 miles on them). No more sloppiness when steering and the car handles great.

Then, I installed a Bosal hitch finally that I picked up from someone who did the buyback. Installed my brake controller, most of the wiring, and then found out I need a towing module from Westphalia, so I'll probably order that from PFJones this week.

Future upgrades include a DSG => 6MT swap (already have the transmission and associated parts - just need driveaxles, a clutch and LSD) and a CP3 HPFP. Might go for a bigger turbo in the future as well, as I plan on keeping this car for a while.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I always thought I'd get the Bilstein HD shocks (B6 HD monotube), but went with the standard replacement Bilstein Touring version that my Indy sourced. The car was already in the shop for inspection and I needed shocks, so I decided maybe it wasn't worth the extra trouble and delay to work outside my Indy's sourcing. I also thought the HD version might be overkill for my little car. The car feels great, so I'm happy. It feels like new, or maybe even a little better than new!
I always thought HD was B8. Or that could be for the sport, and B6 might be the comfort. I love my HD shocks. The JSW handles WAAAAY better than the Golf (which just have TC sport).

Replaced pads and rotors all around. The OEM stuff lasted 93k? Not too shabby. Also flushed the brake lines, and rotated the tires.
Ahh yes, forgot this - I also replaced my rotors. The old ones weren't too bad, but a little worn. Original from when I bought the car. I changed my pads with Akebonos around 135K, and they had about 30-35% left (also original pads). I figure I should last until about 250-275K on my current pads and rotors.

Replaced the air intake filter (and the cabin filter as well). I followed the 60k mile VW recommended interval. Given that the OEM filter only cost me $20 (and about 5 mins to replace it) I'll be doing it much more often the 60k miles as the old one was quite dirty. Hopefully she'll breath a little easier and cleaner now.

DAMN that's dirty. I don't have a set schedule for the air filters. I just check them periodically, maybe say around every 5K miles, and change as needed. I think the most I'll go is about 20K on them before changing, sometimes sooner.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
What did I do for (rather than to) my Mk6 today? Ordered the CP3 HPFP upgrade from Andrew Rodriguez. With the mileage I've driven this year, I'll have it installed in a few months when I get to 200K, along with my TB.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Just hit 60k......Throwing all this in the Golf over the next couple days + a tire rotation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Just hit 60k......Throwing all this in the Golf over the next couple days + a tire rotation.
If you're going through the trouble of changing DSG fluid, I'm guessing you're not selling yours back, either.

Nice looking car, btw. Wish mine were that clean.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
If you're going through the trouble of changing DSG fluid, I'm guessing you're not selling yours back, either.

Nice looking car, btw. Wish mine were that clean.
Thanks!

Actually just changing the manual trans fluid....I'm definitely keeping the car though! I really wanted that Motive Power Fill. I hate trying to gravity fill transmissions, diffs...etc and most of the time I work on my cars alone. Excited to try it out! They actually sent me the 3gal version and I ordered the 1.5gal....larger than I'll ever need, but oh well.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Thanks!

Actually just changing the manual trans fluid....I'm definitely keeping the car though! I really wanted that Motive Power Fill. I hate trying to gravity fill transmissions, diffs...etc and most of the time I work on my cars alone. Excited to try it out! They actually sent me the 3gal version and I ordered the 1.5gal....larger than I'll ever need, but oh well.
Not sure why I said that, since your signature does say 6MT. I didn't think you had to change MT fluid that often, but I could be wrong. That's a future upgrade for me - DSG to 6MT swap. Problem is, I want an LSD installed first, and the clutch is obviously a pretty penny. Do you have a stock clutch in yours?

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure why I said that, since your signature does say 6MT. I didn't think you had to change MT fluid that often, but I could be wrong. That's a future upgrade for me - DSG to 6MT swap. Problem is, I want an LSD installed first, and the clutch is obviously a pretty penny. Do you have a stock clutch in yours?

I heard it was "lifetime" fluid....saw a few threads of people changing fluid in the mk6 gti and it was looking pretty black at 50-60k so I think I'll stick to that interval. Yes, stock clutch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I changed mine out at around 100k and it looked pretty good I thought. I can see the gti guys being harder on their gearboxes. It got changed again around 140k when the clutch was replaced. I rigged up a cheap garden sprayer to fill mine. Worked pretty well.
Did an oil change yesterday. Used Delo 5w40- gasp. And a Mann filter.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
My fluid wasn't' terrible, but since I'm keeping the car I figure I should be as preventative as I can.

Here are a few pics of the bottom of the drain pan I used. Some metallic flakes are visible, but look perfectly normal in my experience. I honestly expected more since it was the factory fill.

DSC00888 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC00890 by DerekG710, on Flickr

It will be interesting to see if the next drain after another ~60k will look similar.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That really doesn't look too bad at all. Most of those particles were probably generated very early on and will clear up in subsequent drains.
When my uncle and I drained his boxster trans.(same trans. as a passat, just turned around), the gear oil had so much metal in suspension it looked like mercury! It had been a Manhattan rental car for the first part of its life. Poor thing. :)

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I changed mine out at around 100k and it looked pretty good I thought. I can see the gti guys being harder on their gearboxes. It got changed again around 140k when the clutch was replaced. I rigged up a cheap garden sprayer to fill mine. Worked pretty well.
Did an oil change yesterday. Used Delo 5w40- gasp. And a Mann filter.
Ain't nothing wrong with Delo or Mann filters, although I've been using Rotella. I think both oils are great choices for diesels that are sans DPF.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ain't nothing wrong with Delo or Mann filters, although I've been using Rotella. I think both oils are great choices for diesels that are sans DPF.
Nothing wrong at all with Delo. Some folks are just allergic to using anything that doesn't have a VW spec. My car has had the factory fill castrol, M1 esp 5w30, M1 formula m esp, M1 0w40, M1 TDT 5w40, Rotella T6 5w40, and Delo 5w40. I've also topped up with a bit of Peak 5w40. My next change will be some Rotella T6 0w40 I picked up in Austin last winter. I like to mix it up.

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
Replaced rear drivers caliper, and re adjusted the hand brake!

Anyone do any maintenance to their pano sunroof??

jcruse64

TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Getting 125K tranny service today, along with oil change and filters change. We have a local guy here that specializes on all stuff VW, gas and diesel. He also picks up used stuff, fixes and sells off a lot here.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Wasn't today, but last weekend installed a CP3 fuel pump. Was tricky for me since I have never done a timing belt. It runs well!

https://youtu.be/Smbu1LkkxDU
Very nice. I have mine sitting in a box. I'll probably do it in about 10K miles, when I'll change my TB (about 20-30K miles early), but I'll get some help doing it. I don't have the patience to do it in the sun in this Texas heat (no garage to work in).

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I got rid of it and got $19,681 including the $1000 "Goodwill money" and the $350 secondary settlement from Bosch. Not bad for a car I only paid $24,000 for brand new 7 years ago. I also got $3100 for a hail damage claim on the car years ago that I never fixed except for pulling the dents myself. It's been the closest thing to free driving you can get. Zero dollars spent on professional maintenance over the years, too.

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Back and forth from Philadelphia area to the Iowa/Illinois border this weekend to see my son. It was 900+ miles each way and it took me across the 150,000 mile threshold in my 2010 Golf TDI. I was going to take a photo of the odometer, but I was in cruise control mode and let the moment go by. I'll be sure to get a photo at 200,000 miles!

I love the low rumble of the motor pulling along at 75+ mph on the highway!

hellrbbt

TDI
'10 TDI JSW
That looks like a terrible job. Howd she turn out?
First time around, terrible. I think the shade was defective as once it was installed it came off it's internal guide and became tangled up pretty bad. I was able to replace it under the parts warranty as the dealer found it to be a defective part.

Second time I had it installed in about 30 minutes and all was well.

Definitely not a one person job, but it's a doable DIY project that the dealer estimates at $1700. Worst part besides getting everything lined up is getting the headliner in/out of the vehicle.

Between this and the sunroof drains I've become very well versed in removing and reinstalling JSW interior panels. :cool:

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Timing Belt Replacement scheduled

Well, with the Gen 1 fix approved. I scheduled the timing belt replacement at German Diesel Motorwerks. :D Earliest appointment they had was for the end of the month. Was going to get the CP3 installed but decided I'll wait until after the fix warranty expires. I have the 2micron kits installed in case the HPFP does decide to let go.