Approaching 300,000 miles. Words of wisdom to make it to 400,000??

chongosuerte

TDI
2003 Beetle
I bought my '03 TDI Beetle 13 years, 4 days ago. It had 6 miles on the odometer.

It's given me 281,000 fantastic miles, and still gets 44 mpg hwy/city combined. I will hit 300,000 probably before spring. And I'd like another 5 years out of her, so I'm looking for what needs to be done to get that, within reason.

As an idea, here's the history, all done by myself or family. Car is still stock:

• Last timing belt was April of 2013 at around 220,000 miles. 100,000 mile belt. Water pump changed.
  • Regular oil and oil filter changes.
  • Last serpentine belt was about a year ago (failed tensioner pulley).
  • Alternator pulley fell off long ago, replaced pulley and alternator
  • Replaced both radiator fans this past spring
  • Replaced cabin fan relay twice, cabin fan itself the second time
  • Brakes inspected regularly, last changed at 113,000 miles:eek: but I've still got enough pad, check it monthly
  • Coolant last flushed several years ago
  • Brake fluid last flushed several years ago
  • Other filters changed here and there when I deemed it necessary.
  • Rear shocks changed a long time ago.
  • Replaced windshield about 2 years ago
  • Replaced driver window regulator at the same time
  • Glow plugs checked and replaced as needed
  • Probably some other stuff I'm not thinking of, but those are the main things
Evidently I did pretty good...281,000 miles and the only two times I had *oh crap it won't run* problems were bad fuel once in the first 2 years and an aftermarket (I thought it was quality) timing belt replacement component that failed and put the motor just enough out of time to cut off.

There are a few known issues:

• Glow plug harness needs to be replaced
  • Check engine light has been on for years. Probably 10. When last checked it was related to the glow plug harness. I wish I had just bought Vag-Com a decade ago, now I'm not sure I can justify it.
  • Coolant light has been off/on or flashing blue for several years. In reading, it is most likely the coolant temp sensor and I'll give that a go. Never had a heating issue or coolant level issue.
  • Coolant glow plug harness has been kaput for years, and thinking back I don't think I've ever even checked those plugs to see if they are working, but I don't think I'll ever need them in NC, and I don't think they are monitored by the OBD system?
  • The fans were replaced a few months ago, but I have noticed they aren't working again. Fuse on the battery is good. I'll check the relays tomorrow
  • A/C compressor likely has a kaput clutch. Makes a racket when not moving and kicks off. It worked well enough for this summer, but I plan to put in a new clutch before next summer. I've been putting that off for several years
  • Getting some oil leaking from the CCV. I hope that's the only spot. Just enough to get the motor dirty and to leave an occasional drop on the garage floor. Not enough to require adding oil between changes (probably helps that I drive enough to have to change oil frequently).
  • Some interior/age/cosmetic issues. Headliner, center console, driver's door handle, etc.
  • Next brake change I'm going to put new rotors on it
  • Third brake light is out (freaking $150 or something!)
  • Some of the hoses are showing their age, but no leaks
  • There is a loose ground somewhere on the driver's side. The left turn blinks quickly but everything works (there is a reverse light out). Cruse control will sometimes cut off, but very rarely. Not annoying enough to open THAT can of worms.

Tomorrow I'm changing the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and maybe cabin filter (last changed 2 or so years ago). If I can get the part, I'll change the coolant sensor as well. I'm going to get a glowplug harness and a couple of other little things in the next week or so. Once they are fixed I'll drive it a few days and then try to find a local contact with a VAG-COM to see what the computer says.

Beyond that, this thing is solid. I know I've neglected some things here and there, but I have kept a constant check and have been proactive about the things that I believed mattered, and thus far that approach has served me well.

I realize that at this point if anything fails (ie fuel pump, turbo, etc.), it won't be a surprise with this many miles and I certainly got my money out of it, but what would you guys recommend checking or replacing at this point to try to avoid any other issues?

sam2007

Veteran Member
TDI
beetle TDI 2000
...dtc codes should be addressed...coolant light fix. replace orb...radiator hose refresh ..all vacuum hoses with new check valves and rubber grommet at the brake booster there are two check valves one black and the other black and white .. new n75 valve.. intake manifold egr service...replace glow plugs

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Fix the issues with reputable parts, no chinese crap, and keep performing proper maintenance. Then drive more and worry less.

Both of my cars are still flawless and have not had a code pop up in years. Mileage is no reason a car needs to be unreliable.

Get the Vag-Com, you can always resell it later and recoups a very large portion of the money for it.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Have you changed the tranny oil??

Vag-com will become more of a necessity as your car ages.
Not too expensive and can always be sold once you no longer need it.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Keep driving it!
A third brake light should be cheap from a salvage yard.
Auto or manual?? Either way, I agree, change the tranny fluid/gear oil.

Last edited:

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
Words of wisdom:

Perform regular maintenance. Keep driving. There's really no reason a maintained diesel can't make it to half a million miles or more and you seem to stretch some of the intervals and ignore some of the warning lights. Depending on your driving regimen (Miles per Year) stretching may be OK. To me fluids and filters are the key to longevity. I do enough miles in a year (36K) that I just do all the scheduled filters in the fall and change the oil and filter on the 10K interval the rest of the year. I change the brake fluid every two years.

Granted the interiors get kind of raggedy and minor stuff starts to quit but if you're OK with a less than perfect vehicle ride on. You might try a couple of shots of electrical contact cleaner in the base of the turn signal stalk to stop the quick blinker. Sometimes debris gets caught between the contacts and arcs can form shorting the circuit.

p.s. when you change your T-belt do the rollers and tensioner too, not just the water pump

Last edited:

spartanmanor

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle TDI
When and if you change the center brake light keep an eye out for water leaking into the trunk. I did the one on my wifes 03 Beetle TDI and have had troubles ever sense with water getting in.

chongosuerte

TDI
2003 Beetle
Words of wisdom:

Perform regular maintenance. Keep driving. There's really no reason a maintained diesel can't make it to half a million miles or more and you seem to stretch some of the intervals and ignore some of the warning lights. Depending on your driving regimen (Miles per Year) stretching may be OK. To me fluids and filters are the key to longevity. I do enough miles in a year (36K) that I just do all the scheduled filters in the fall and change the oil and filter on the 10K interval the rest of the year. I change the brake fluid every two years.

Granted the interiors get kind of raggedy and minor stuff starts to quit but if you're OK with a less than perfect vehicle ride on. You might try a couple of shots of electrical contact cleaner in the base of the turn signal stalk to stop the quick blinker. Sometimes debris gets caught between the contacts and arcs can form shorting the circuit.

p.s. when you change your T-belt do the rollers and tensioner too, not just the water pump
We have been changing the rollers and tensioner, I failed to list them. I've changed the belt early each time, the oil/filter on time or close every single time. The air filter probably at around the recommended time. The cabin air filter...ehhh...lol. Last fuel filter change was about a year ago, so around 30,000 miles. The coolant has less than 150,000 miles and I think the same for the brake fluid.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Don't TUNE the car... just keep driving and keep doing what you are doing sofar!

Looks like you are ahead of my car by many miles.....Good luck

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Drive it. As Abacus says, replace parts with good quality stuff when needed. Pay attention to timing belt service intervals. Watch oil consumption as an indicator of turbo wear. Or replace the turbo proactively if you want to avoid a runaway. Otherwise, have fun!

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Flush the brake system with new fluid and a power bleeder.

rebuild the starter?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Looks like you are doing well with maintaining and planning ahead. I will add one thing - replace the AC clutch pulley bearing when you do the coil. I just had two high mileage cars with failed bearings - one bad enough to break the serpentine belt, the other enough to pour smoke from the belt. Both ruined the clutch coil.

chongosuerte

TDI
2003 Beetle
Looks like you are doing well with maintaining and planning ahead. I will add one thing - replace the AC clutch pulley bearing when you do the coil. I just had two high mileage cars with failed bearings - one bad enough to break the serpentine belt, the other enough to pour smoke from the belt. Both ruined the clutch coil.
I'm going to have to tackle this AC issue soon. My only worry is that I'll spend the money and time fixing it and find out I wasn't 100% right on my diagnosis. The symptoms are A/C cutting out when idling or low RPMs, and giving a loud groaning sound as it goes out. When laying under the car you can watch the A/C pulley, when it is turned on you can hear a racket that evolves to the loud groaning sound. My theory is that unwittingly I allowed the fans to stay dead for quite some time, and the A/C compressor had to work much harder than it should have, and for long enough to wear the clutch out. When at speed with the A/C on it blows very cold. Of course, the stupid (still shiny and new) fans are out again. My brother and I trouble shot them a bit the other day and couldn't find the issue. I believe they are working on high, just not low. I'm going to go through the entire trouble shooting again Sunday probably. To the others, thank you very much for the recommendations. I have ordered oil for the transmission. I will plan to flush the brake fluid when I change the brakes next, and the coolant looks good and is within its mileage, but I'll keep that in mind. Looking at the hoses I think I will start replacing them. But some of them will be a real mother to get to. For some reason my paragraphs all disappeared.

Last edited:

chongosuerte

TDI
2003 Beetle
Oh and I had the codes checked...3 for glow plug circuits (P0671,2 and 4)and one for coolant thermostat (P0128). Exactly what I expected.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The clutch coil is good or dead - nothing in-between. The end plate does have some spring loaded parts that can go bad, but the pulley is always spinning regardless if you are using the AC or not. If that's what's bad - get to it before it throws a belt. The 'kit' I recently purchased came with the coil, pulley and end plate (seller is adding shims when he can source them). Time will tell what kind of quality parts I received, but so far so good...

Slaterstm

TDI
2000 TDI Jetta
I just clocked 353,000 miles. It's a 2000 TDI manual 5 speed. I do the routine maintenance. About 345,000 I just changed the started, alternator and the rear axle bushings. I'm still on the original clutch. I love this car. My last 750 mile trip, on the highway, I got 51 mile per gallon.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
two words : preventive maintenance

inspect the car frequently . you can catch minor issues before they become problems

replace manual tranny oil every 70k-100K miles
PS steering fluid every 70K miles
inspect all components that contain rubber and replace when rubber is deteriorated ( ball joints , tie rod ends , CV boots )
beef up grounds , VWs are notorious for ground issues
suspension on MKIVs is crappy replace all bushings when changing struts/springs

I have 410K miles on my 04 and it still runs strong but I always find myself underneath it every 3 months

these cars are not Toyotas to run for 200K miles without anything breaking down

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
Words of wisdom for 400000.... Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but a sure way to see that many miles is to not crash it. Also try and avoid getting crashed into if possible. Aside from that, keep an eye on everything else and follow routine maintenance (what's in the owners manual and the other 3/4 of it found on here)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but a sure way to see that many miles is to not crash it.
Me, too. Partly why I gave up taking the car to the track. Ironically as it ages it becomes more valuable to me, and all that much more difficult to replace.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
The clutch coil is good or dead - nothing in-between. The end plate does have some spring loaded parts that can go bad, but the pulley is always spinning regardless if you are using the AC or not. If that's what's bad - get to it before it throws a belt. The 'kit' I recently purchased came with the coil, pulley and end plate (seller is adding shims when he can source them). Time will tell what kind of quality parts I received, but so far so good...
I just turned over 400,000 miles, '03 Jetta Wagon - I'm a little concerned to hear about A/C clutch problems. My A/C works pretty well. About 300,000 miles, it got really weak. A "very good" A/C guy said that I needed to have it charged and the receiver dryer replaced. Did that $1000, no improvement. I took off the bumper and washed the condenser - it looked like washing a cow that's been rolling in the mud -- you just can't believe that that much dirt keeps getting flushed out. After that, it got a good bit better.
Jason, OP's noise certainly could be A/C clutch but his description fits the alternator pulley (also on the serp belt and near the A/C clutch). Could he be hearing pulley noise near the A/C clutch (or have issues with both)? My first pulley went out about 200K, then my alternator got weak about 300K so I changed both alternator and pulley, but all seems to be well now.

I also had glow plug lights. Changed the harness - all OK for about 6 months then random codes. I changed all plugs about November, cleared codes and all is well. The harnesses are pretty flimsy and the plugs go out - its' something we have to live with.
I keep a eye at the level marks on the coolant reservoir. The light usually works OK but sometimes it doesn't.

krmason

TDI
2001 Golf
AC problems fixed

OK guys. if you go get you AC serviced it will be $1600.00. So do it all yourself. I find the cheapest parts off of eBay. You can get a complete kit to fix you AC from eBay. The best part is the price from $110 to $150. you get all the parts you need to get cold really cold AC. Of course you need 2.5 cans of R134A Freon. Add that cost also. So I suggest fix it yourself and save $1400. Get the AC vacuum pump from autozone or other place where you can borrow the tools.

I have and lifted 1997 Jetta TDI with 308,000 miles on it. It runs better than new. I use the car as a construction vehicle. I carry 500 pounds of cement and deliver it 400 miles away. I have big tires 27-8.5R14. I still get 40 MPG at 80 MPH.

Best part in the Nevada desert is a car with great AC. I love it....