What did you do to your MKIV today?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Yes. I seem to have this problem only on aluminum rims too. Almost like they swell with warmth after the initial tightening, then when they cool its almost like they're locked and tighter then before.

Never have this issue with steelies

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I did something I've been waiting to try for a long time. I paid someone to work on my car!
Brake fluid change and a new thermostat. 17 year old thermostat just would not close all the way, hasn't for a couple years.
Next repair- Exhaust, I need to go downpipe to the rusted almost clean off catalytic converter pipe or spend a grand on new 2" stainless complete. Mechanic can't install without the converter, so may be doing that one myself.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Final parts scavenge from my parts car- cut out 1' of the front rocker sections which will be used on the body work of my Golf.

Also managed to get the lower seat cover off my replacement, heated seats. Everything looks good, in which case I suspect that the thermistor itself has failed (wires look fine).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's not IBW, but it's getting better

After Chris at Kraftwerke repaired a leaking A/C o-ring, and we discovered the cause of my water leak (deceptively broken cabin filter cover), I drove to NYC to the auto show today. I've got about 8K on the freshened engine and I think the fuel economy is improving.

In fairness, I did hit a decent amount of traffic getting out of the city and on the Merritt Parkway. Car ran like a champ. We had a pesky coolant leak we couldn't identify but it appears the new coolant bottle cap has fixed it. If not I'll replace the bottle.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Swapped on a set of 17's that I picked up recently. They're a split spoke NB OEM wheel w/ some decent enough all seasons.

Also put in the passenger seat of a set I recently picked up. They're from a NB Turbo w/ the square bolster and the color insert (RED). A little over the top, but I've always liked the square bolster. Bonus they're heated, so now I just need to retro-fit the harness. Probably won't work on that until next March/April.

For anyone near SW Ohio and interested in some 15" OEM alloys w/ good General Altima tires, let me know.

Wheels mid way

Wheels drivers side competed

And the RED seat (before connecting wires)

Tread on the 15's I'll be listing

Last edited:

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Peter thanks for the pic.
I told Chris Hill to tell you 10 & 2 buddy hahaa .
I was on way back from Miami, and glad to be back home.

bajan

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
On my first leg toward Texas from my family visit in Connecticut. I left late (9:30 am) after stopping to say goodbye to my younger sister. It was 5 years ago this last weekend when I was here to attend the burial of our younger sister who passed away from brain cancer. This trip was much more pleasant.

Left towards Roanoke, VA where my first stop overnight will be. The car ran like a champ and rolled over 309,000 which is chump change to some of you with similar ALH's. These are really fine cars when running well and love 75 - 80 MPH on freeways.

Tomorrow I plan a longer run to get close to Texas. I'm shooting for 800 miles before stopping for the night.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
It was great to see a fellow TDI on 95. Made me sorry I wasn't in IBW. Welcome back!

Yes definitely good to see you Peter.
My first thought was hmmm really clean mk4 ,no badges nothing. I had no idea it was you until I was passing. I've seen the red golf a few times, man you pretty much lay down while your driving. IBW I recognized a mile away no matter what shoes she's wearing lol.

Bajan

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
On my first leg toward Texas from my family visit in Connecticut. I left late (9:30 am) after stopping to say goodbye to my younger sister. It was 5 years ago this last weekend when I was here to attend the burial of our younger sister who passed away from brain cancer. This trip was much more pleasant.

Left towards Roanoke, VA where my first stop overnight will be. The car ran like a champ and rolled over 309,000 which is chump change to some of you with similar ALH's. These are really fine cars when running well and love 75 - 80 MPH on freeways.

Tomorrow I plan a longer run to get close to Texas. I'm shooting for 800 miles before stopping for the night.
I think 800-1000 miles a day is the way to go, unless of course you encounter heavy traffic, that's the killer.
Safe motoring.

bajan

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Added aspherical mirrors on the white car. I like how much they add to my field of vision. I'm going to be adding a set to my wagon, my Audi and my dad now wants a set on his Audi

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Added aspherical mirrors on the white car. I like how much they add to my field of vision. I'm going to be adding a set to my wagon, my Audi and my dad now wants a set on his Audi ...
Nice upgrade.

I like these for driving, but find they require some "getting used to" when trying to parallel park.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Nice upgrade.

I like these for driving, but find they require some "getting used to" when trying to parallel park.
I spin my head around like an owl while parallel parking haha :)

These do help in a few tricky areas near where I live and on my way to work every day. Now they make me wish the outer edges of the mirrors wouldn't protrude as far back.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg

I like rarely listen to music. My first 18 years of vehicles never had a radio, or one that worked. But something like this I'd require it.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I like rarely listen to music. My first 18 years of vehicles never had a radio, or one that worked. But something like this I'd require it.

The old Jetta is equipped with an HD radio courtesy of the previous owner. I have a big capacity flash drive in it with all music from 1950 and beyond. Yeah, maybe 2,000 oldies, but I am an oldie too! :D

shane.short

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2000 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2011 JSW DSG(sold back to VW)
Newly aquired 01 Jetta 5spd w/ 197k. Today I replaced all vacuum hoses & the check valve going to N75. In the past 2-3 weeks I've replaced the timing belt with the deluxe 100k kit from fixmyvw, cleaned the intake manifold & EGR/ASV, replaced the fuel filter & fixed the broken wires going to the ASV. Things in progress... car is running okay, slightly erratic idle but Injection pump is leaking. So, parts are on order from dieselgeek. And need to replace glow plugs, 3 out of four tested good and close in ohms but one tested with infinite resistance. Considering the temperatures here that will be the last of my fixes. Been a long several weeks but the car has new life and is a lot more fun to drive vs the day I picked it up. Thankful for this forum!!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Newly aquired 01 Jetta 5spd w/ 197k. Today I replaced all vacuum hoses & the check valve going to N75. In the past 2-3 weeks I've replaced the timing belt with the deluxe 100k kit from fixmyvw, cleaned the intake manifold & EGR/ASV, replaced the fuel filter & fixed the broken wires going to the ASV. Things in progress... car is running okay, slightly erratic idle but Injection pump is leaking. So, parts are on order from dieselgeek. And need to replace glow plugs, 3 out of four tested good and close in ohms but one tested with infinite resistance. Considering the temperatures here that will be the last of my fixes. Been a long several weeks but the car has new life and is a lot more fun to drive vs the day I picked it up. Thankful for this forum!!
Nice to see another ALH brought back to life!;)

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Added aspherical mirrors on the white car. I like how much they add to my field of vision. I'm going to be adding a set to my wagon, my Audi and my dad now wants a set on his Audi
I need these. Even though I have my mirrors angled outward pretty far, I still get surprised now and again by a car on the left that I can't see.

Where do you buy them?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Since the Passat if going back this weekend, the Jetta has been brought out of semi-retirement. The old wheels were beat and are going on the Passat when it's turned in (dual pattern 5x100 and 5x112). Bumped up from 17x7 to 17x8 ET35 with 5mm front spacers and 8mm rear. Brings it out pretty flush with no rubbing even with the Eibach lowering springs.
222,000 miles and still going strong!!!

Edvardo

TDI
MK4 Golf PD130 ASZ
Joined this forum to say thank you for a quick fix that saved me! But recently I've done the cambelt kit and water pump. (including new engine mount) Plus fitted a little fmic! Sleeper mode.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Installed my Bluetooth / Aux In / USB module. It's a CruxBTS-VW2 that plugs into the factory stereo where the CD changer would go.
I placed the module in the little cubby in the glovebox, next to the manual slot. I drilled a hole in the side there towards the back large enough for the plug to fit through, and after some juggling with a flexible retrieving tool, was able to pull the cable through into the stereo slot. From there it's just plug and play, and works nicely.
I just have a little fuzzy noise going on (sounds like a dusty record), but I only hear it with the engine off, once it's running, it drowns out the noise.
I guess that hooking up the ground will resolve this, I haven't found a good ground point back there yet that I can get to without removing trim, so that will come later.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I need these. Even though I have my mirrors angled outward pretty far, I still get surprised now and again by a car on the left that I can't see.
Where do you buy them?
jettafock was selling these.
I was looking at the ones on amazon, sold by ormax. The description says they're heated too! https://www.amazon.com/Tinted-Blind-Aspherical-Mirror-Glasses/dp/B00PXUXOGO/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1493129623&sr=1-8&keywords=aspherical+Mirror+jetta+mk4

FLASH1970

TDI
2001 GOLF GLS
I scrubbed the carpet and cleaned/conditioned the leather back seat I got for my black leather interior swap. also ordered fabric dye, headliner adhesive, and a leather repair kit.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Installed my Bluetooth / Aux In / USB module. It's a CruxBTS-VW2 that plugs into the factory stereo where the CD changer would go.
I placed the module in the little cubby in the glovebox, next to the manual slot. I drilled a hole in the side there towards the back large enough for the plug to fit through, and after some juggling with a flexible retrieving tool, was able to pull the cable through into the stereo slot. From there it's just plug and play, and works nicely.
I just have a little fuzzy noise going on (sounds like a dusty record), but I only hear it with the engine off, once it's running, it drowns out the noise.
I guess that hooking up the ground will resolve this, I haven't found a good ground point back there yet that I can get to without removing trim, so that will come later.
That's something I should do... I added an Aux In to stream from my phone years ago, but now it's a pain. Bluetooth is the way to go. Added to the wish list!

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Do you want it for phone calls or for music?
That's a good point. The one I have only does audio streaming. You'll get your music, podcasts, whatever, and also navigation instructions, but it doesn't have the handsfree calling features. Those are slightly more involved to install. I love not having to take my phone out of my pocket, though. It's setup to connect to the BT and start playing my podcast playlist.