Buzz rattle in steering column

kcv67

TDI
2017 Ram Cummins G56 2015 Jetta TDI DSG Tornado red
Any body else have a buzz rattle vibration noise in the steering column? The dealer tried twice once they tied up the channel where the steering wheel wires slide when you extend the steering wheel. Still have the annoying buzz it seems worse when on cruise about 70 mph. The tires are fresh balanced and every thing else seems tight. The sound also quits when you turn the steering wheel when passing or corners. Any ideas?
Casey

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If you are still under warranty, it's the dealers problem.

My 2006 has not had the problems the newer cars have. I attribute that to the bean counters getting involved causing the newer models to be inferior in build quality.

Chevrolet did this in the 80's. Their build quality was so bad that they counted on folks to just go away when they had issues the dealer couldn't fix. You would go in several times with the same problem and they would write you up differently each time to avoid the lemon law.

Don't have any ideas on fix for this one. Maybe buy a Toyota. The newer VW's are crap.

Last edited:

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Pretty much what Ol'Rattler said. The new Jetta is very cheaply put together. I still think the car is a good value, but the NCS/NMS are very un-German, aside from the engine and transmission. My 2015 has had its share of rattles and buzzes, but I've just gotten used to it. There are a few things I'll take it in for when the bumper to bumper warranty is close to expiration. I'll probably ask them to address the rattles then as well. But again, like Rattler said, it's the dealer's problem. If they can't fix it, you might be out of luck unless you want to give up the car.

kcv67

TDI
2017 Ram Cummins G56 2015 Jetta TDI DSG Tornado red
So I finally got the dealer to listen to me and pull the steering wheel and check the clock spring. They pulled the steering wheel and said they did not find anything.
You know what no more buzz and took it on a 3000 mile trip, Finally no buzz.